Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

old dawg looking for answers

Old 03-17-2013, 04:00 AM
termart
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default old dawg looking for answers

I've been flying for 50+ years and am now trying to learn a little about electrics.
I bought a Pulse XT40 at a swap meet that has an electric motor on it.
the specs that I can find are:
Atlas .46 sport outrunner
AM2927/08
Atlas Black 45 amp BEC
programmable controller

My question is what battery should I get to use on this setup and what does BEC mean instead of ESC?
will the battery that control the motor/BEC also control the servos or should I use a seperate pack?
Since the BEC is programmable, do I need to program it? How?
Old 03-17-2013, 04:16 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: old dawg looking for answers

Without knowing that brand, I'm guessing that it is a 45 amp ESC with a BEC built in. I'd goolge the specs on it and perhaps you will find it has a Max of either 3s or 4s for battery cells. Then depending upon your motor and prop choice you could use 3s for sure and maybe even 4s if it is within range.

The battery will power all servos and esc,motor thru the one connection , but your welcome to use a seperate BEC instead and disable the built in one. Most esc are programmable thru the TX , but may be cumbersome. The program card will make it a lot easier to program and if you can get the program card I'd get it.

Do some googling on that particular esc.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:10 AM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did a quick search for the motor and did not find much. Many motors are made in the same factory with different stickers on them.

I have (2) .46 sized brushless motors. I run them with 60 amp ESC's, 5s 5000mah batteries, 12X6 and 13X7 props. My motors pull over the 45 amps your ESC can handle.

If you have a watt meter, start with a 3s battery and see what that draws. What prop did it come with?

Watt meter is out of stock here.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/aeo-p0-watt-meter.html

Buzz

ETA SPELLING!!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:13 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The BEC is the Battery Eliminator Circuit or voltage regulator. It's built-in to the ESC speed control and supplies the reciever with typically 4.8volts at around 3 ampsthrough the red&black leads of the throttle connector. As stated some ESC don't provide this and an external BEC is connected between the battery and the receiver to regulate the voltage.
Attached below is the spec sheet for the 29 series motors.

The Atlas ESC was sold by Hobby Lobby but they have removed the manual from their site. I did find that the 45amp ESC was only rated for a 3-cell LIPO battery pack and of course a max of 45amp draw.
Looking at the motor specs it can only handle 4-cell LIPo voltage but it seems the ESC cannot handle 4-cell LIPO voltage. I would think a Pulse 40 using this motor on 3-cells would not be powerful enough for the plane. It may fly it but not very well. It really needs a 4-cell LIPO to perform.
The info on the ESC may be wrong and perjhpas it can handle a 4-cell pack. I can't find any maunal so programming it is a shot in the dark unless you can find one of their programming cards to set-it up. You could try a 4-cell lipo on it but it might burn it out.
I would buy a new ESC with a built-in BEC that will handle 4cells and provide around 60amps.
Here are some places to try for ESC's and LIPOs :
www.headsuphobby.com/Sky-Power-ESC_c280.htm

www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/lipo-batteries.html

As mentioned a Watt meter will help you out and you can buy one or make one using a $5.00 Harbor Freight Multimeter.
You will also need a LIPO charger to charge these types of batteries if your current charger doesn't handle LIPO chemistry.
Any of the first three here are good as first-step chargers.

Good luck and welcome to the darkside !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Xv64344.pdf (890.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-17-2013, 07:49 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I could not find much on the motor and ESC. So I did a quick search on the plane to see what people were running in it. They say the plane will weigh in at 5 or so pounds.

That setup may get it off the ground, barely.

Another setup, it won't break the bank, but will fly the plane well.

Motor
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Emax-BL3...otor-G-726.htm

ESC
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Sky-Powe...-BEC-H-110.htm

At least you can get the correct information on these parts.

Buzz.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:25 PM
termart
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

guys, I really appreciate your responses and suggestions and it looks like whoever was putting this pulse together was either not very educated about electrics (like me) or was just trying to get rid of some stuff. I picked this outfit up at a swap meet. the motor and BEC along with servos (std futaba) were already installed in this brand new bird and even if I swap out the motor and BEC I still got a pretty good deal.
I am still shaky on what to get for it, even your recommendations didn't have info on what prop to use.
I may just hang a glow engine (.46 -.55) on it and have a ball.
thanks again for your help.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:50 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you open the pdf attachment  in my last post it gives you a selection of props and what amp draw you will see using that motor. I would probably run a 12x6 or 12x8 and fly it like a pattern/sport plane.

Electrics are fun once you get involved and the learning curve isn't that bad. I started out with smaller foamies and moved up to 25,40,60 size built-up planes, EDF's , wings, slope planes, and have one 120 size electric. Most of my large planes 90 and up are now (or will soon be) gasoline and I have several glow planes left.

I started out slow and gathered most of my support equipment as I went along. They have their niche for being easy to deal with and clean, nice to warm up with and to finish the day with !
Old 03-18-2013, 06:23 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Luke, I am your father, come with me to the dark side and rule the universe. (maniacal laughing)

The way it sounds, he either tried it and it had no power and gave up or was trying to get rid of stuff he had on hand he could not use.

The budget setup I listed about will work with a 4s battery swinging a 12X6-8, 13X6-8 APC E prop. If for some unknown reason this did not give you enough power, you could just use a 5s battery and hold on to your socks.

I have a 5s Tacon 46 setup in a Giles turning a 13X7 prop. Take off roll is about 3 feet into a vertical climb to a tiny dot. Hovers a the 6.3 pound plane with ease. I would say that is more then you need.

Buzz.