Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Battery Management

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:23 AM
Boeing
My Feedback: (145)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Management

I am a new guy in the area of electric flight. I have read that it is a good idea to draw down a battery to 70% to 80% of it labeled capacity - mAh. Am I on the right track to maintain a battery in good condition? Is there a charger/measurement tool available to measure the current level of a battery?

Thanks for the information.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:39 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Battery Management

Consume no more than 80 percent of capacity to keep your pack happy.

Also discharge rate is important, make sure you have a properly C rated battery for the amps you're system will pull
Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 PM
spog1

All you need to measure is a voltmeter. Measure the battery after sitting at least 5 min after discharging. 80% discharged is about 3.7 volts/cell.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:52 AM
siberianhusky

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...itor_2_6S.html

One of these is cheap enough and accurate enough for a quick voltage check. Not as accurate as a meter.
Tested mine against my meter and it's 0.05v low at full charge. Could change with voltage but I figure it's close enough.
Just plugs into the balance port, gives total and individual cell voltages.
Available all over the place, just knew where they are in the HK catalog.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:37 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Boeing

I am a new guy in the area of electric flight. I have read that it is a good idea to draw down a battery to 70% to 80% of it labeled capacity - mAh. Am I on the right track to maintain a battery in good condition? Is there a charger/measurement tool available to measure the current level of a battery?

Thanks for the information.
Depending on how you mean this it could be a old rule left from the old NiCd days. Those batteries had a memory effect. If you did not discharge them all the way they would develop a memory and over time would hold less and less charge. So it was common to run them down before charging them.

If you are talking Lipo batteries then running them down more than 80% will likely damage them. Actually best practice says you never get them below 3V per cell, resting voltage. If they get below 2.5 they start to take damage and the difference in charge level between 2.5 and 3 ain't much.

To measure the load your motor is putting on your battery you use a wattmeter. This is the one Iuse:
http://www.amazon.com/Watts-Meter-An...words=watts+up

If you want to measure the charge level of a battery you use a battery checker:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCBUV&P=7

For more info, read here:
EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT