Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

First Airplane!

Old 02-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Airplane!

I've got into theRChobby last December. I got a traxxas summit for my first RC and then a losi micro crawler. Now I want a airplane! Can a few people post up some good starter planes or just some good name brands bc I have no idea about planes. I want to spend around $150-$200. Thanks a lot. Can't wait to figure out what I'm getting!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: First Airplane!

There are a bunch of quetions I would ask before making a recommendation.  You can find them here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11396769/tm.htm

Old 02-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

I pretty sure im going to get the hobby zone super cub. Seems like a great deal rtf with 2 lipos only $210.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can spend some more I would recommend the Apprentice or the Sensi . The Super Cub in my and others opinons is not a great trainer and won't be a plane that will stick with you as you gain more experience. If it survives it will more than likely get tossed aside once you master it.

www.horizonhobby.com/products/apprentice-15e-rtf-with-dx5e-radio-EFL2725

secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/HZ/index/index_park_flyers_rtf/FLZA3010.html

Also find someone experienced to go over the plane, take it up , trim it out and help you to learn to fly it as opposed to going it on your own. You will be further ahead in the long run and won't get as frustrated.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

Yeah I really like the first 1 but unfortunately my limit is $200. And the town I live in doesnt have a hobby shop so ill be on my own learning to fly it. Lol
Old 02-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

Ill get this 1 and if I really like the plane thing as much as my trucks ill get a better 1 for xmas and sell the super cub. Or I may keep it if I really like it. Some reviews Ive seen guys say they still fly it so ill see.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:37 PM
flyinwalenda

There are no clubs nearby or anyone who flies near you?
I would think twice about it ,as going it on your own WILL result in a busted plane and the SC does not take well to crashing as opposed to a better built plane. You will be spending a lot in parts&shipping trying to keep it in the air versus if you spent a little more upfront for a better plane.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

Lol. Yeah I dont know about clubs Ill have to google it. Surely there is some1 here that flys rc planes.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:37 PM
flyinwalenda

If you don't have anyone nearby and have to or want to go it alone then maybe you should get a pusher /glider plane. It has the motor mounted up high, is launched by hand and belly landed and if crashed the motor will ususlly be OK .
This one is made by Multiplex who makes very, very strong foam planes plus you can add ailerons to it.

www.horizonhobby.com/products/skyscout-r2go-rtf-HRC13207#t1
Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: Summit is Beast!!!

I pretty sure im going to get the hobby zone super cub. Seems like a great deal rtf with 2 lipos only $210.
I have found the HobbyZone Super Cub to an excellent first plane. Hard to break and Easy to fix it is very stable in the air and very self righting. Ioften recommend it as a first plane and I like the RTF package.

The Firebird Stratos is also getting outstanding reports
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...os-rtf-HBZ7700

how large is your flying space? You will want something at least 600X600 or about 4 football/soccer fields.

Don't forget to visit these threads too. You will find them very helpful.

> Six Keys to Success
Old 02-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

Well I just ordered the super cub dsm rtf!! Cant wait to get it in the air!!! Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 AM
Chucksolo69

The HZ Super Cub is the only trainer I have left after passing my others down to family and friends. I still fly her on occasion and you will really love the docile handling this plane provides. Once up in the air and trimmed out, let her fly around at half throttle. She flies straight and level at half throttle and very predictabley. Make sure you takeoff and land into the wind; she floats really nice landing into the wind with minimal power.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Summit is Beast!!!

Thanks for the tip
Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 AM
daytonarc

ORIGINAL: Summit is Beast!!!

Well I just ordered the super cub dsm rtf!! Cant wait to get it in the air!!! Thanks for the advice.
The HZ Super Cub DSM is a great plane. It is a 3 channel trainer with act that may help avoid major crashes. Like others have suggested you will probably do better if you locate a local club and get some initial help from an experienced flyer. Enter your zip code here http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspxto find a local club. The HZSuper Cub comes with a radio that you will be able to use for other bind n fly aircraft in the future and the reciever in it is 4 channels so when you get a little experience you can do an easy modification of adding ailerons to the plane. and disable the act to make it a much better flyer for someone with a little experience. Everything you ever wanted to know about the Super Cub and more is available here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43...tm.htm#4371835

Good luck
Old 03-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

Well finally took the super cub out for my first flight and it went great!!! Had a blast, I was shaking my nerves were so bad before I took off! Lmao Im charging the lipos now so I can fly on my lunch break tomorrow! Im hooked. Heres my first flight and thanks for the tips I got a great plane! 

http://youtu.be/hrzkDOFcaCQ
Old 03-01-2013, 08:44 PM
aeajr

Congratulations.  Glad you enjoyed our first time out.

Now, welcome to the addiction! 
Old 04-08-2013, 01:12 PM
reelquick

That was great ! Thanks for sharing with another neewbie.