Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

what about electrics

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 09:48 PM
kalvin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what about electrics

after contacting ama homepage and finding a club near home I tried to contact this club via email and did not receive a response while I was looking at there homepage I did not see any info on park fliers is this how all ama charted clubs work ? The only thing I saw for beginners on their site was a recomendation for a glow engine trainer

signed: not enthusied with club
Old 03-12-2003, 01:11 AM
Tippie

Kalvin,
Why don't you go to the club meeting and meet some people, you just missed the monthly meeting last week. Go the to Hobby Town location in Strongsville, on the web site and get info. Click on "Chief Instructor" on the beginners page and e-mail him. Perhaps they have a club trainer plane to learn on, even if it is a glow plane it would give you the experience. The club site isn't RCU so it may take a few days to get an answer. The web site can in no way answer all your questions. I can't think of any club that would ignore anyone on purpose. They need you as bad as you need them. You can't make judgement by standing outside and looking in a window, you have to go in. I think there are some phone numbers you can call if e-mail doesn't get the results you want. Keep trying.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:14 AM
goofup

Virtually all AMA clubs are glow clubs and will only teach you on a ".40 size" glow trainer. You can only get their "solo permit" on a glow plane.

In my opinion, this is kinda silly, because there's nothing in their qualifications to get a "solo permit" that any good electric trainer can't do (yea, even a Tiger Moth). It's too bad that these clubs don't have instructors for beginners to learn, and qualify with, to fly at their field with an electric trainer.

THAT BEING SAID, my LHS has trouble keeping Soarstars in stock. The owner said that he's selling them like hotcakes, almost all of them to glow flyers at the club fields because they've discovered how good they fly and how much fun they are.

I wouldn't give up. I'm sure if you do some visiting while you're there you'll find some electric flyers there. If all else fails, introduce the members to electrics!

Goofup
Old 03-12-2003, 05:22 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Kalvin,

You have to remember that clubs are run by VOLUNTEERS. They have lives outside of flying, and want to do some flying themselves. They're not obligated to keep the website up to date. Also remember that most of these guys were born before computers, and to them, email is a secondary means of communication. Heck, for some of 'em, TELEPHONES are a secondary means of communication The only reliable way to get their attention is to meet them in person.

Don't discount the club until you've met the people. Remember, these people are VOLUNTEERING their time to help you out. They are not obligated to help you in any way, so you have to work with them on their terms. They may not have free time when you have free time. They may have other more important obligations to attend to. They may already have more students than they can handle.

That said, if you don't like the club, don't join. Nobody's forcing you.

Now, as far as their "requirement" of a .40-size glow trainer goes, there are a few practical reasons for that:

1. The club instructors are intimately familiar with the standard .40-size glow trainer. It's been around for years, and is a well-proven means of learning basic-to-intermediate flying. They know where it should balance. They know how it should be rigged. They know how the engine works, and many of them can tune it in their sleep.

Long story short, you have the best chance of success using the equipment the instructor is most familiar with. In all the time I've been training students, I have not seen one airplane lost on the first flight. The engine may quit because it's still new and needs to be broken in more, but the plane is ALWAYS stable and controllable right from the get-go, because we know how to set these planes up.

2. Most club instructors are not familiar with electric airplanes. Sure, they can tell if the plane is airworthy, check the balance, etc.. Sure, they probably have the skills to fly it, too. The problem arises with the power system. Gee, the plane doesn't seem to have enough power to fly... Most instructors wouldn't have the foggiest idea what to do about it. If it was a glow engine, they could tweak the needle valves to get the engine running properly. Here, they're left scratching their heads, and the student goes home disappointed and clueless, with an unflyable plane.

An instructor is only as good as his knowledge. If he's as clueless about your airplane as you are, what's the point?

3. There are no good electric trainers. It's a proven fact that many pilots who have "mastered" their GWS Tiger Moths and Slow Sticks lack the skills necessary to fly anything more advanced. Go to http://www.ezonemag.com and look up all the trouble with the GWS Zero and P-51. The plane's design is not the issue in most cases, the pilot skill is. I personally know people who only fly slow fliers. The one time one of these guys got ahold of a glow trainer, he flew it knife-edge through the pits, almost re-kitting ME, because he couldn't handle it.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:39 PM
BillK

"
3. There are no good electric trainers. It's a proven fact that many pilots who have "mastered" their GWS Tiger Moths and Slow Sticks lack the skills necessary to fly anything more advanced. Go to http://www.ezonemag.com and look up all the trouble with the GWS Zero and P-51. The plane's design is not the issue in most cases, the pilot skill is. I personally know people who only fly slow fliers. The one time one of these guys got ahold of a glow trainer, he flew it knife-edge through the pits, almost re-kitting ME, because he couldn't handle it."

This is the attitude I've witnessed at the local fields. Most of the glow pilots there aren't familiar with electrics. To say there no good electric trainers is completely false. Lots of 4 channel well behaved electrics that can make you just as good as a pilot as a glow trainer. But if you're looking for instruction and someone to teach you at a field you're pretty much stuck with glow. The fields around here don't even allow electrics to fly.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:21 PM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

"
3. There are no good electric trainers. It's a proven fact that many pilots who have "mastered" their GWS Tiger Moths and Slow Sticks lack the skills necessary to fly anything more advanced"

Same attitude here at the local AMA fields, my LHS owner though will help out (training or otherwise) with both gas and electric planes. But then again, it's a hobby - you can enjoy it as much as you want, at any level you want.

"Go to http://www.ezonemag.com and look up all the trouble with the GWS Zero and P-51"

And numerous others who enjoy E3D's, MiniFlash, SwitchBack, Bandits, Accords, Logo's, ECO's, 1/4 scale conversions, etc. Head on over there for more help on electrics.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:26 PM
goofup

I agree totally with all the posts so far. For instance, if I was into N gauge model trains, I should not be shocked with any reaction I'd get if I walked into a HO gauge only club.

I think Kalvin (and other newbies) want to go to a club and hear something like "You wanna learn how to fly? Sure, we'll help you! Go see Bob or Ted if you want to learn how to fly gas planes. If you want to learn how to fly electrics, go see Johnny. He knows all about them!"

The obivous answer is to have more electrics-only clubs that have their own electric-knowledable instructors.

Goofup
Old 03-13-2003, 06:13 PM
Matt Kirsch

Default There are no good electric trainers

Sorry, it's not an "attitude." It's a FACT.

I'd like you to name me some of these "4 channel well behaved electrics" that make good trainers. I've got a better handle on the products that are out there than most, and I can't find a single solitary example.

Here are the rules, to make it fair:
1. Must be an ARF, like the typical .40 glow trainer.
2. Must come from a well-known manufacturer, like the typical .40 glow trainer.
3. Must cost less than $400 for the airplane, motor, battery, and radio gear, like the typical .40 glow trainer. I'm giving you $400, but many RTF .40 glow trainers can be purchased for $300 or less.
4. Must be able to taxi, take off, and land on a typical semi-smooth grass field, like the typical .40 glow trainer.
5. Must be able to perform stall turns, axial rolls, loops, and combinations thereof, like the typical .40 glow trainer.
6. Must be able to fly for at least 10 minutes, like the typical .40 glow trainer.
7. Must be able to handle moderate winds, like the typical .40 glow trainer.
8. Must have full 4-channel control (A/E/R/T), like the typical .40 glow trainer.
9. Must be one airplane (not a progression through 2-3 separate airplanes, e.g. Tiger Moth for the basics, then progress to a Switchback w/sport wing), like the typical .40 glow trainer.
10. Must come with a recommendation for an appropriate power system, like the typical .40 glow trainer.
11. Must NOT be a conversion of a typical .40 glow trainer. That's cheating, and probably breaks rule #3 anyway

The typical electric primary trainer is only 3-channel, and most of those are park fliers that get hand launched and flop in the grass to land. Only those few who are blessed with a smooth paved runway can learn proper takeoffs and landings. Remember that a club instructor teaches you more than just how to steer the plane.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:33 PM
raymcm

What about rule

12. must spend $20 a day on fuel like a typical 40 trainer

If you cannot find an electric to suit these rules then its because you dont want to.........

Forget the $400 and spend more on the motor and batteries because its basically a one off buy unlike fuel for a typical 40 trainer.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:28 PM
kalvin

THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES YOU HAVE GIVEN ME POINTS TO PONDER EVERYONE HAS GIVEN GOOD ARGUMENTS I THINK GOOFUP HAD THE POINT I WAS MOST LOOKING FOR. EVERYONE I'VE TALKED WITH HAS SAID JOIN A CLUB WHICH WOULD BE OKAY WITH ME IF THAT CLUB COULD PROVIDE THE TRAINING I NEED BUT DO IT WITH AN ELECTRIC PLANE. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST IN GLOW ENGINE AIRCRAFT AND I'VE TALKED TO SEVERAL GLOW PILOTS THAT HAVE SAID THEY ARE SELLING OFF GAS EQUIPMENT TO GO TO ELECTRIC IF ANYONE KNOWS OF ANY CLUBS IN NORTHERN OHIO THAT FLY JUST ELECTRIC LET ME KNOW KALVIN
Old 03-14-2003, 04:49 AM
goofup

The fact is that a good trainer doesn't HAVE to be "like the typical .40 glow trainer".

The fact is that a good trainer doesn't HAVE to have 4- channels, which is so hard to learn on that it requires an instructor with a buddy cord.

The fact is that there's nothing wrong with a beginner going through more than one plane, each with progressively agressive flight characteristics, as his skills improve.

The fact is that except for the axle rolls in #5, the 4-channel requirement in #8, and the insistance (over and over and over) that it be "like the typical .40 glow trainer", I don't see why a lowly Wingo couldn't satisify all the requirements (1 thru 11) in the above post.

If you like glow, like clubs, and think .40-size trainers are the only thing you can learn to fly on, then great. (Contrary to popular belief, I'm not against glow.)

However, if you don't, thank goodness we electric people have some alternatives!

Goofup
Old 03-14-2003, 05:10 AM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

"I don't see why a lowly Wingo couldn't satisify all the requirements (1 thru 11) in the above post"

Because it's pink?
Old 03-14-2003, 01:01 PM
goofup

"Because it's pink?"

Somehow I knew that was coming....
Old 03-14-2003, 02:54 PM
mpj220

No longer support RCU
Old 03-14-2003, 05:07 PM
Matt Kirsch

Originally posted by raymcm
What about rule

12. must spend $20 a day on fuel like a typical 40 trainer

If you cannot find an electric to suit these rules then its because you dont want to.........

Forget the $400 and spend more on the motor and batteries because its basically a one off buy unlike fuel for a typical 40 trainer.
That's funny... $20 a day on fuel? Fuel costs an average of $15 a gallon, and a gallon will usually last MONTHS if all you're flying is .40-size.

You've got to look at this from a totally clueless newbie's perspective: All they see is the immediate cost. A reasonably sized electric trainer that's going to teach them more than how to keep the airplane from crashing is going to cost far more than $400. It doesn't matter that there are supposedly no recurring costs, it's more expensive up front, and no amount of reasoning is going to overcome most newbies' aversion to spending that much money.

Goofup, I said this electric trainer had to be able to perform the functions, not that it had to be a .40 trainer.

You said it yourself, the Wingo can't satisfy requirements 5 and 8. I'm also pretty sure it can't satisfy requirements 4, 7 and 9 either. We have problems taxiing .25-size glow planes on our smooth, well-groomed field. I don't see how a Wingo can taxi on anything but pavement. We routinely train in 20MPH winds. If we trained on Wingos, we'd lose about half our training days. As far as requirement 9 goes, progressing through multiple park fliers ends up being much more expensive in the long run than a single glow trainer.

The fact is, a 4-channel trainer is no harder to learn on than a 3-channel. They're only using the right stick in either case. Most first-time students at my field are able to fly crude circuits within the first five minutes of the first flight. If you tell me that someone flying a GWS Slow Stick is doing anything more advanced at that stage, you're lying. Generally, the self-starters crash, and crash hard within the first few seconds of the first flight. On a buddy cord, that almost never happens at all, and never happens due to pilot error.

The fact is, if you ask a glow flier how to learn to fly, he will tell you how he learned, and how he sees most people learning. It's rare to find someone flying glow planes that will tell you to go get a Wingo or a Slow Stick. Now, if you find someone who's flying a Wingo, they'll probably hand you the transmitter and walk away!

If you don't like glow, fine. If you don't like clubs, fine, be antisocial. Just don't bash glow planes and clubs out of ignrance.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:32 PM
AlStack
My Feedback: (1)

Do we have to separate you two????! Calm down. This is a hobby, pretty much populated with nice people. The AMA magazine is going through these same changes. An airplane is an airplane is an airplane! Different strokes for different folks.

I am new to this hobby, but midway through my earthly travels. I have yet to meet an RC flyer who wouldn't stop what they were doing and help me. It didn't matter if they were currently playing with gas, glow, electric, free flight, rubber or co2.

Listen to what you are getting upset about. Nothing!

Keep your mind open and if some "yahoo" is to interested in him or herself (let's be fair) then find someone else or maybe another club.

Just my two cents worth. Life's too short!
Al
Old 03-14-2003, 06:38 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seriously, is there an electric trainer?

Seriously, can someone point me toward an affordable electric trainer?

I've been introducing newcomers to flying with my old Senorita, with a .25 in it. It will do anything a SoarStar can do, but for 25 minutes per instruction session.

After introduction, I require the student to provide his own plane and radio (I have buddy boxes for several brands, which we can use.) I have yet to come up with a recommendation for a plane, because I consider the SoarStar only an intro thing. I like to see these guys do loops and rolls before I solo them.

Please reply if you can reply with something besides "Search for this" or "You haven't looked." I have searched, I have looked, and I don't consider my TwinStar or my X250 capable of doing the type of training that the ordinary glow trainer will do.

Seriously,
Dave Olson
Old 03-14-2003, 09:04 PM
goofup

No, you don't have to separate us, we're just having a friendly discussion.

Mkirsch is simply pointing out the glow club's philosophy. Don't get me wrong, everyone, he's absolutely right- for a club setting with multiple flyers and getting a beginner up to speed with glow planes. The ".40-size trainer" thing with an instructor has been proven way for beginners to learn for a long, long time. It works, period.

All I basically said was that the flight requirements didn't rule out qualifying a beginner for his solo permit with an parkflyer. Different clubs have different rules, but you can see my local club's training requirements here:
http://www.westside-rc.org/Trainingprogram.htm

There is no mention of plane size, motor requirements, etc. I'm not suggesting you drive up to the club with your new Soarstar... I just said you could....

This discussion proves what I've believed all along- that glow and electric are just "different" from each other. So different, in fact, that it's a waste of time to try and compare them. I've seen many threads where people were knocking themselves out trying to get their electric plane to perform like some glow plane. And vice versa!

Bottom line: The last thing the glow guys wants to see show up at their field is a newbie with an parkflyer. The last thing us parkflyers want is for some noisy 5'-wingspan gas plane to show up at our park.

I don't have a problem with that.

Goofup

PS: Scar, take a look at Hobby Lobby's Super Miss 2:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/supermiss.htm
Old 03-18-2003, 12:59 AM
Tippie

Default Electric Club

Kalvin, there's an all electric club in Mentor. www.mentorrc.com That's on the East side of Cleveland so just hop on I-90 and get headed East to RT 2 or if you want to check them out go to the web site and look around.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:21 PM
TailDraggin
My Feedback: (5)

Default .40 ARF dogma

I got the same attitude from the LHS guy. After being bullied toward buyin' a noisy, too-big, too-expensive glow trainer and told that that was the only way I'd learn to fly and that all electrics are toys, I got online and found exactly what I was looking for, and for much less money.
I don't have anything against those who prefer glow planes. It reminds me of Harley versus GoldWing riders.
BTW, thanks to whoever posted the link to the VOA Club site in Cincy. I'll be attending the next meeting!
Old 03-19-2003, 05:12 PM
Matt Kirsch

Were you being pushed, or did you simply say, "I was thinking about getting into R/C airplanes." Many times, clueless newbies ask the wrong questions, and as a result, feel they're being "pushed," when in fact the person in the shop is simply answering the question to the best of his/her knowledge. Of course, the primary purpose of a hobby shop is to sell stuff, so you can't be appalled that they were trying to sell you something.

Remeber that you are not obligated to buy anything. You did exactly what you should've done when a store doesn't have what you want, which is go elsewhere.

What you choose is going to depend on what you want to do, plain and simple. If you, for some reason, don't think glow planes are for you, then get a park flier.

Stop knocking people for sharing what they know. Would you rather they make something up, and have it turn out to be bad advice? At least if they recommend a glow trainer, they can do it truthfully and with confidence. Be glad you were "pushed" toward a .40 glow trainer, at least that airplane would fly. There's still lots of absolute JUNK out there in the electric park flier category.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:36 PM
TailDraggin
My Feedback: (5)

I'll stand behind what I said. Told the man what I wanted and he tried to tell me I wanted something else. That he had.

Don't appreciate pushy know-it-alls no matter what they're sellin'. Can't see what's wrong with, "Sorry, can't help ya.", "Don't have that, have ya tried this other place?" or "Don't know about those".
Found another shop where the attitude is much better. It's a little further away, but worth the drive. As for the first place, I'm sure they won't miss me much.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:13 AM
raabid

I personally didn't have the patience to learn with the local club, so I downloaded FMS and spent about fifty hours and 5000 crashes on it. I bought a Graupner Tipsy due to the pusher prop configuration. It got beat to a pulp for a week or two but nothing 5 minute epoxy wouldn't handle. Persistence prevailed and I got so I could fly it allbeit challenging in 15mph winds, and on calmer days played with bringing it in a cutting the motor so I could catch it out of the air. 30 minutes flight times are pleasurable even if its not full house or can't ROG. Finally put her to bed when my neighbor put her into a death spiral I couldn't recover from, but I will have another one soon.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:00 PM
Corsairjunkie

Default Wingo is more like RED

The Wingo is more like red than pink. You can paint it also. The Soarstar Sucks!!!!!!

I fly my Wingo in 10-25 MPH winds almost every day and havent crashed once. Also I can Taxi off of a putting green..
Old 03-24-2003, 02:59 PM
mpj220

No longer support RCU
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	65297_9.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	38235  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.