Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

E-Starter vs. SS---Ideas??!!

Old 09-24-2003, 01:54 PM
zxcv11

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default E-Starter vs. SS---Ideas??!!

Just went out to buy a slow stick and wound up coming home with the E-Starter. LOL, isn't that allways the way!!?? I actually just liked the idea of having the ailerons there. My question is, does anyone off hand have any good links to some web pages with good tips/build info/ideas/mods with this plane?? I spent over 6 hours reading up on the SS only to get this!!
Much obliged if'n ya do

Brian
Old 09-24-2003, 02:14 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: E-Starter vs. SS---Ideas??!!

I built my E-Starter box-stock, except I left off the tailwheel bracket and tailwheel. Originally, I had planned on having a tricycle gear, but it didn't work well. I fly from a grass strip, and the rudder itself works quite well as a steerable tail skid.

Note that the E-Starter is in a completely different class than the Slow Stick. It's not hard to fly, but not as easy to fly as the Slow Stick.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:25 PM
zxcv11

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Note that the E-Starter is in a completely different class than the Slow Stick. It's not hard to fly, but not as easy to fly as the Slow Stick.
Not completely different is it Matt? It is billed as a "Trainer Aircraft" right?....it says so...lol. I made sure to talk to at least a few flyers...LHS (which has VERY good ppl, whom I trust) who say ppl coming back having bought them are really happy with their flight characteristics..i.e....smooth, easily controlable..ect. What did you find to be the biggest difference in the way the 2 flew?? Just curious as I have flown neither [8D]
I was also thinking it looked a bit more durable than the SS.Thanx for the input man.

Brian
Old 09-24-2003, 02:46 PM
cwat212

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you know someone who has flown before I would try and get their help. If you get help you should be fine with the E-Starter.

The E-Starter IS a beginner's airplane BUT it is definitely not the same as the Slow Stick. I think the Slow Stick is better for beginners who want to learn on their own because it is much more forgiving in the air and can fly extremely slow....I also think the SS is more durable than the E-Starter.

If you are a true beginner the SS will survive your crashes much better. The E-Starter will break easier - it usually can easily be fixed but will require time and glue. The SS can usually be picked up, re-adjusted and flown again.

Just my opinion. The E-Starter will take you further in the hobby and will be more fun after learning to fly.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:07 PM
zxcv11

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanx cwat212. I think in the next week or so I'm gonna go get a SS too [sm=biggrin.gif][sm=biggrin.gif] For the price ($35) ya just can't beat it....plus I can swap flight packs between the 2

Brian
Old 09-25-2003, 06:43 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No, not completely different, just a completely different class. The E-Starter is as close to the electric equivalent of a .40-size glow trainer as I have ever seen. It's a good basic trainer if you have help from an experienced pilot, and a good second plane after the Slow Stick if you go the learn-by-yourself route.

For the most part, the Slow Stick goes by the "bend, not break" philosophy. The wing may appear very flimsy, but it is much harder to break in a hard landing than the very rigid wing of the E-Starter.

I'm glad to hear you're thinking about getting a Slow Stick too. You can never have too many planes.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:32 PM
zxcv11

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can never have too many planes
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!![sm=biggrin.gif][sm=biggrin.gif]

Now....if the could ALL be that cheap.....

Thanx again for the input. I'm glad you said that about the trainer vs. .40 Matt, because my whole deal in this is to learn on something first before I take out my .40 trainer that I put SO much time into....and turn into kindling
Breaking $35 is a LOT easier to deal with that a few hundred+work hours.

Brian

PS-as far as durability....It just seems that the foam might break easier....but would be easier to field fix....or less time to fix period...as I know on both that regardless I'm gonna end up fixing crash damage
Old 09-27-2003, 05:53 AM
Woodsy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know this is an electric thread but as your training for flying your .40 glow check out www.spadtothebone.com to save you some $$$$ on glow planes down the track.
they also have an e-flight section and a sloper section
Old 10-08-2003, 05:16 PM
zxcv11

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got my SS...I got my SS...[8D]
Gonna throw that up to learn with.
Built the SIG Scout....too pretty to learn with
E-Starter is being built...(slowly)
Now I'm gonna slap together the SS and beat on it for a while till I'm comfortable with it, then hit the Scout...then the E-Starter!! A Brilliant Plan ...if I do say so myself...harumph...harumph

Bri