Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

12' Telemaster - Good trainer?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

12' Telemaster - Good trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 04:03 PM
bencookrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12' Telemaster - Good trainer?

I've recently got back into r/c. I used to fly big gassers but now I'm trying electrics. I saw a big 12' Telemaster for sale. Would that be a good trainer style plane?
If this is in the wrong place please let me know. I just joined rcuniverse. Thank you.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:07 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 12' Telemaster - Good trainer?

Yes it is an excellent trainer, but you're going to break the bank buying motors and batteries that will fly it well for a long time.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:23 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would consider something a LOT smaller.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:01 AM
bigedmustafa

All of the Telemasters, regardless of size, are excellent trainer aircraft. As long as the Telemaster that you pick out fits your vehicle and budget, you'll be happy with the way it flies.

Good luck and good shopping!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:05 PM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

I had an Alpha 40 trainer, and initially I crashed a number of times. I repaired it myself on multiple occasions. A 12' Telemaster would be considerably more work and expense to do so.
Kinda have to agree with post by aeajr on this one. Then again, if $$$ is no object and it is flown in a safe location....
Old 08-17-2013, 11:54 AM
challenger_i

Ben: Since you have prior stck-twiddling experience, especially on big gassers, I'd say the Telemaster would suit. If you want to set it up as electric, and want to fly it like you did the gassers, do get your checkbook ready!

Originally Posted by bencookrc
I've recently got back into r/c. I used to fly big gassers but now I'm trying electrics. I saw a big 12' Telemaster for sale. Would that be a good trainer style plane?
If this is in the wrong place please let me know. I just joined rcuniverse. Thank you.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:25 PM
1320Fastback

It would make a great trainer before going full scale

Think smaller for now... 6' or 8'
Old 11-04-2013, 02:41 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Somehow, I had visions of an out of control 12' Telemaster chasing the retread model builder down the field!
Large models are easier to see, and generally are easier to fly than the small ones.
But to restart the R/C hobby, I'd recommend something smaller, perhaps with a 60"-80" wing.
My favourite is a DHC-2 E-Flite Beaver EFL4525
It looks good, flies well, has good "penetration", flaps that actually are quite effective, and fairly easy to see.
There are a few challenges in getting it together, perhaps enough to interest a former model builder, yet
not to involved.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:39 PM
oldbassard

I have a Telemaster V2 , about a 60" wingspan. It is electric and a nice slow flyer. I hooked up the flaps on mine and have nearly hover landed it several times in an estimated 15mph headwind. One time my grown son was with me, he got inpatient and reached out and grabbed it out of the air, Land it already OK dad? LOL
Old 01-10-2014, 07:08 AM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bencookrc
Ben,

What did you decide to do?