Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Swith harness with brushless motor & ESC?

Old 03-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Leemata
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Swith harness with brushless motor & ESC?

Probably another stupid question, but can I use a regular switch harness with my park 400 motor & 20A ESC? My battery is a 3 cell Thunder Power 2100mA LiPo.

I don't want to have to remove the wing to disconnect the battery after each flight.

How can I set this up?

Terry
Old 03-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have always understood the challenge to be 1) If you put a typical rc switch between the lipo and the esc, the switch won't be able to handle the amps and 2) If you put the switch between the ESC and the receiver, the motor is still hot and has the potential of spinning the prop.

I use the Maxx Products arming switch (see photo) on my larger setups. On smaller sizes similar to your setup, I have drilled two holes (approx. 1/4") so I could pop both the battery and ESC connectors outside of the fuselage and plug them in to each other just prior to flight.

Some ESCs now have on/off switches built in, but I'm not sure which ones.

Kurt
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2014, 04:45 AM
Leemata

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Kurt. I'm a bit surprised that electric R/C flight evolution has not solved this yet ...... at least for smaller planes. I may just go with the Maxx Products switch you suggested.

Terry
Old 03-12-2014, 06:16 PM
JPerrone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My Ares Gamma 370 has an arming switch. But it seems like it only arms; it doesn't disarm. Ie,
- you first connect the battery, try to run up the motor; nothing.
- You push the switch, you can run up the motor
- I push the switch again; I can still run up the motor

I'd like to be able to also disarm. Although I actually would NEVER trust it anyway!!

Regards
Old 03-17-2014, 01:51 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Leemata View Post
Thanks Kurt. I'm a bit surprised that electric R/C flight evolution has not solved this yet ...... at least for smaller planes. I may just go with the Maxx Products switch you suggested.

Terry
Basically you attach the battery, fly till it is used up, land and remove the battery for charging. No real need for a switch.

Be careful, some ESC come with a switch. These will often disable the motor and might even disable the receiver BUT there is still current going to the ESC and that is enough to run your lipo flat if you leave it attached at the end of the day. Bingo, ruined lipo.

Always best to disconnect the battery.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:11 PM
JPerrone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like the idea of the switch. However... I don't like the idea of trusting it. If it were 100% reliable, fine. But even if the switch was 100% reliable, you might accidentally push it. If you are trusting that the ESC is disarmed when in fact it is armed...you could have a problem.

I suppose it's ok if you adopt the same mindset as with a firearm, ie, NEVER trust the safety, always handle the plane as though the ESC is armed at all times.

If you actually do that...then the switch is extra protection...

Regards
Old 03-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Leemata

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Basically you attach the battery, fly till it is used up, land and remove the battery for charging. No real need for a switch.

Be careful, some ESC come with a switch. These will often disable the motor and might even disable the receiver BUT there is still current going to the ESC and that is enough to run your lipo flat if you leave it attached at the end of the day. Bingo, ruined lipo.

Always best to disconnect the battery.
Disconnecting the battery is exactly what I wanted to avoid as the wing is held on by rubber bands. May have to retrofit a hatch.

Terry
Old 03-18-2014, 07:58 AM
sierracharlie
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Eflite makes an ESC with a switch that dis-arms only the motor.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:00 AM
Leemata

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by JPerrone View Post
I like the idea of the switch. However... I don't like the idea of trusting it. If it were 100% reliable, fine. But even if the switch was 100% reliable, you might accidentally push it. If you are trusting that the ESC is disarmed when in fact it is armed...you could have a problem.

I suppose it's ok if you adopt the same mindset as with a firearm, ie, NEVER trust the safety, always handle the plane as though the ESC is armed at all times.

If you actually do that...then the switch is extra protection...

Regards
Why wouldn't you trust a switch? As long as it is a quality part and properly rated for the circuit, it would be fine. Not many things are 100% reliable, yet we tolerate them. I guess one could always add a redundant switch.

Terry
Old 03-18-2014, 08:35 AM
JPerrone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Refer to the last part of the 4th sentence, ie, "... you might accidentally push it".

Just like the safety on a firearm; most accidental discharges involving safety, the safety didn't fail. It was unknowingly or accidentally moved to live position.

Regards
Old 03-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Leemata

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

JP,

I understand what you're saying, but come on, you could accidentally hit the gas pedal instead of the brake in your car. You could bump on a burner on your range while going out the door for the day. You could could fall asleep with a lit candle and so on and so on. At some point, you just have to trust yourself with potentially dangerous toys, tools, appliances, etc.

In the end, I think any switch rated high enough to be safe might just be a bit too bulky for this small plane. As I mentioned earlier, looks like the best solution for this model would be to retrofit a battery hatch. Something I'll consider based on how much I end up enjoy flying it.

Thanks for yours....and everyone's perspective. Much appreciated.

Terry

Last edited by Leemata; 03-20-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:50 AM
JPerrone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hatch sounds like a good solution. When I fly my planes, I'll switch the battery out 2 or 3 times (I have multiple extra's). Without a hatch, you'd be taking the wing off and that's not fun.

The hatch makes it easy to disconnect the battery, even if you don't need to recharge it. So, all around, not a bad solution.

Regards
Old 03-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you are wanting to simply shut off current supply, Kurt's suggestion in his Post #2 [the Maxx Products jumper) makes the most sense. But if you have to switch batteries in and out then a hatch may be the way to go.