Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Help me diagnose my problem!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Help me diagnose my problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:02 PM
GVR-4579

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me diagnose my problem!

Hello,

I have been having a plauge of problems with my Beam E4. This is particularly annoying because all parts are mail order, otherwise I love this heli. The hell itself is rock solid and very responsive. First the setup.

Beam E4 airframe
Futaba 8U Heli Radio with Spectrum 2.4 conversion pack
Spectrum AR6200 2.4G receiver
Hitec HS-65MG servos for cyclic control.
Futaba GY401 and matched S9257 digital servo for tail control
Scorpion HKII-2221-8 Brushless Outrunner
Scorpion Commander 45A ESC
Batteries are 2200mah 4 cell Lipos

Here is the problem. Everytime I have tried this heli I crash it. The radio will lock out on me for some reason, it will continue to fly until it hits something. This is not safe, or cheap, I need to figure it out. I switched from FM to 2.4 radio system. I replaced the servos. I adjusted my throttle curve to a 80% max. The last flight I didn't go above hover throttle. I checked my timer and it was at 2:30 left, I think at about 2 min it did the lockout and crashed. My voltmeter is at work so I can't check the battery level but I don't see it using that much. My hobby shop recommended the 4 cell battery. Is this wrong? I have not checked the head speed but it sounded reasonable.

Let me know anymore info you need, I fly the crap out of my Raptor 50 with no problems and thought an electric would be convenient but all it has been is a pain in my side!
Old 08-27-2014, 09:19 AM
GVR-4579

I tested the battery this morning at work, with no load it is still at 15v
Old 08-27-2014, 07:56 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is is a lock out or a brown out? Are you using a BEC or the built in one for the ESC? If you are using the built in BEC, it might not be enough to handle the draw of what you have.

Easy test, use a separate 4or 5 cell flight battery for the Rx. Just remove the red wire from the ESC to the Rx.

Buzz.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:41 AM
GVR-4579

Thanks for the idea, I will look into it. I have to wait for repair parts before I can really test it out.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:32 AM
GVR-4579

From research it sound like it probably is a brown out, however I didn't realize the Beam helix were so old already and will have to source parts and fit them appropriately before i can test.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:33 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah they go out of production pretty fast or the time just flies by because we are having so much fun?

Buzz.