Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

I Need a conversion list for gas to electric motors

Old 09-13-2014, 07:16 AM
Flashpoint13

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I Need a conversion list for gas to electric motors

Where can I find out what size electric motor is equivalent to a 60cc or a 90cc gas engine. And what company makes the best electric motors.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:48 AM
calamity joe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The latter can't be answered really. It's like asking what kind of christian religion is better: protestantic or catholic.

Recommendations for your first question are also difficult, because many gas powered motors are declared more or less exactly measured (many are not) and everyone has it's personal experience in flight / opinion about speed etc. Power of most BLs is given as "P in" amount of Watt, not what you'll get at the prop of your model ("P out"). Before you decide, ask some experts around you at the airfield with a view to an equivalent type of model then have a look at several motors offered.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:57 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You are asking a common question which is precisely the wrong question. The list would include hundreds of combinations. Just as not all .40 glow motors are equal so it would be difficult to say what electric motors ( out of the dozens that might be available) would be equal to each one.

Electric power systems are sized by power to weight ratios or watts per pound. So the question I would ask you is how much will the plane weigh, all up, when it is done. Typically glow pilots are good at 100 watts/pound. If you are of the mind that way too much is just about right than go 150 to 200 watts per pound.

If you want to understand electric power systems this on-line book is what you want.

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT

www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31368
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm

Note that some motor manufactures will name their electric motors based on what they think is equal. For example:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBHER&P=ML

Many offer calculators or tables. Here are the ones from electrifly but they are specific to that brand.
http://www.electrifly.com/powersyste...tem-index.html

Last edited by aeajr; 10-06-2014 at 03:00 PM.