Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Just Getting Back Into the Hobby and Have a Queation

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Just Getting Back Into the Hobby and Have a Queation

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 08:52 AM
lewfund

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Getting Back Into the Hobby and Have a Queation

Hi
this is my first post and I want to thank every one in advance for any help you can give.
I am 53 years old and have been out of the hobby for more than 20 years and decided to get back into it.
I really enjoyed building kits, and really like the idea of electric flight.
Now for my question,
I have been looking and having trouble finding a electric trainer in kit form. Does any one have any suggestions on a kit that would be good for an trainer. I have built many kits long ago, but never learned to fly. I would now like to build a kit, and I have found a instructor to help me learn to fly.

Would the Great Planes Electric Cub be a good trainer?

I welcome any advice you may have
Old 08-22-2015, 12:20 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome back to the hobby.

I have been very partial to the Mountain Models kits. You did not provide any specs as to the size of the trainer you want to build. Look at the trainers and the easy flyers.
http://www.mountainmodels.com/index.php?cPath=25
Old 08-23-2015, 07:17 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do get a GP Electric Cub, make sure you use an updated motor setup. The old stock one was not all that good. With a newer brushless system and lipo battery, you are looking at 30 minute flights and a lot more power.

The kit is easy to build and goes together pretty fast.

Buzz.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:31 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Electricub is a great kit to build, but not sure if it's the first one you want to try and fly with. As Buzz has said the kit comes with a outdated brushed motor. For a first "getting back into it" build it would be a good one. Just do some research in these forums as to what motor upgrades are good.

I used a Turnigy TR 35-48-B 900kv brushless outrunner, By Hobby King. I use 3 cell 3300mah batteries and a Thunderbird 54 ESC. The plane flies very well.

But if you have never actually started flying you might want to start with a trainer. Even though some folks think a cub is a trainer, it can be a handful compared to actual trainers.

A great trainer is a E-Flite Apprentice if you decide to get something ready to fly to start with.

Here is my Cub which is a good kit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	541.8 KB
ID:	2117226   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	499.0 KB
ID:	2117227   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	2117228   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	436.9 KB
ID:	2117229  
Old 09-25-2015, 11:01 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lewfund
Hi
this is my first post and I want to thank every one in advance for any help you can give.
I am 53 years old and have been out of the hobby for more than 20 years and decided to get back into it.
I really enjoyed building kits, and really like the idea of electric flight.
Now for my question,
I have been looking and having trouble finding a electric trainer in kit form. Does any one have any suggestions on a kit that would be good for an trainer. I have built many kits long ago, but never learned to fly. I would now like to build a kit, and I have found a instructor to help me learn to fly.

Would the Great Planes Electric Cub be a good trainer?

I welcome any advice you may have
How is your project progressing?