Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

help.. pt electric kit pushrods!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

help.. pt electric kit pushrods!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 10:56 AM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help.. pt electric kit pushrods!

ok... i am building this kit as my first( prolly wont fly lol) i messed up on the metal pushrods they gave me with the kit.. so i got mad and cussed and broke the stick for them also... now i am looking for some more pushrods.. i am trying to find " prefabed" ones that i can just cut to size or whatever and hook them up... does anyone know of any easy to install ones? the length from the servos to the control horns are 24 and 26 inches...

if i cant find anything that is prefabed i might just go out and order a eagle 2 arf... this kit building isnt for me right now.... [&o]
Old 10-22-2003, 02:38 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: help.. pt electric kit pushrods!

Unfortunately, making pushrods is usually a necessary evil, especially when it comes to those ones with the wooden shafts with steel bits on each end. You'll run into the same problem with the Eagle 2 ARF, IIRC. The pushrods don't come preassembled.

You can purchase a 36" steel pushrod kit, but the pushrod tube needs to be supported at regular intervals along its entire length. If the plane is buttoned up already, that could be difficult. The steel rods are the simplest; install a clevis on one end, shove then through, cut to length.

There are also flexible pushrods, like the Sullivan Gold-n-Rods. Again, these have tubes that need to be supported at regular intervals along the length of the tube, but even more so than the all-steel ones. These also require more assembly than the steel rods, almost as much as the stock wooden pushrods you have now.

There are also Dave Brown Fiberglass Pushrods. These are similar to the wood ones you have now, except they're fiberglass. No support needed, but there's just as much work involved as with the stock rods.

The cheapest option is to get some new spruce sticks and try again with the ones you have.

Old 10-22-2003, 02:50 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

ughhh.... i hate to hear ill have to make them for the eagle 2 arf......i got mad and through all of the pushrod stuff away lol.. i guess ill go order some from towerhobbies or something.. the real problem i had with them was.. when i would take the pushrod out of the side of the -fuse sides- it would have to bend back towards the airplane to connect to the control horns.. the pushrod didnt want to move.. i had to bend the metal as shown on the plans and that was the biggest reason it didnt want to move freely...i tried some greatplanes 36'' semi flexable pushrods (2 plastic tubes one larger in size than the other) and when i would make the bend outta the fuse sides towards the horn it would seize up when you try to move it....ohhh man.. i know the experienced guys are laughing at this now.. i know its not that hard.. i just havent found the easy solution yet...

blahhhhh i am confusing myself now....
Old 10-22-2003, 03:44 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hobby Lobby sells an assortment of various size pushrod kits [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/pushrods.htm]here[/link].

I have used many of them and the Kavan ones are my favorite choice.

Good luck!
Old 10-22-2003, 03:48 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

Wow thanks..so many options lol
Old 10-23-2003, 06:44 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Hey Chris, don't feel bad. My first experience with pushrods was the same as yours. It does get better with practice, and by the sounds of it, you're getting plenty of that

Here's a possible suggestion: Use a round file to make the pushrod exit slots in the fuselage fit the pushrod tubes better. Ease the slots so the angle at which the tube exits the fuselage isn't so severe that you have to make bends in the pushrods.

Another tip: If you're using those tube-in-a-tube rods like the Great Planes or Sullivan Gold-n-Rods, cut the inner tube short, and make up the distance with steel. You don't want to be able to see any of the plastic outside of its sheath. Without support, the plastic rod will tend to buckle on the "push" action. Not a good thing...