Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

SS upgrades

Old 10-02-2003, 11:12 PM
slagburn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default SS upgrades

I've been flying the slow stick for a couple weeks now, and it's showing some wear and tear. Glue repaired tailfeathers, bent prop shaft, lots of scuffing.
Can I just replace the prop shaft, or is that considered part of the motor assy? I live at 5000 feet and am looking for a powerful motor that will still run for 30 minutes, and lug a camera up quickly.
I like the way it flies, just need more power and better climb out. Also what's a good prop to run, 11x8 now, I'm getting tired of gluing over old CA and need a fresh batch.
I have an ECS50 now and have been running an 8.4V AAA 800-ish Nimh pack, and haven't fried the motor yet.
Aand, where is a good link for an AP setup.

How high can you take an SS without worry of it blowing away? I've seen an AP photo of a guy's whole neighborhood, from an SS. I want mine to do that.

Thanks, I've been searching and lurking, but haven't found these answers yet.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:04 PM
slagburn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: SS upgrades

Well i bought some 12x6 props and a 20A motor controller today. So I will see how it does when the wind disappears.

I would still like to know what is a good motor upgrade, if it requires gear drive still, and if so what gear, and so on.

I'm going to try the Uncle Mikey motor mod first, see what that does.

Tips?
Old 10-03-2003, 10:02 PM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: SS upgrades

Yes, you can simply replace the prop shaft - balsa pr.com or aeromicro.com.

For a simple upgrade to give you more power get a Graupner Speed 300 - it pops right in, and is the equivalent/exactly the same as? of a GWS 350.

Lots of people seem to prefer the 12x6 to the 11x8 - I just bought some HD 11x7's so I'll be interested to see how those perform.

If you really want some power, go to an MP Jet 25/25-26 or 25/35-20 - those will get your camera into the air!

Cheers, Phil