Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

From Electric to gas

Old 10-03-2003, 04:59 PM
suffolk112000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default From Electric to gas

Ok guys, I originally posted recomendations for a slow flyier on the glow engine trainer forum. When I started my first thread, electric power did not even cross my mind. Now after receiving some compelling recommendations from other members and doing some leg work, I am intrigued with the Tiger Moth.
The Tiger Moth's slow speed looks like a great way to re-enter the hobby. My question is, if I some-day want to switch to glow power, will I be able to use my radio in my Tiger Moth for a much bigger gas powered plane?
Also, five minute flight times seem to be a little short. Is there a way to get more than five minutes out of batteries?
Craig
Old 10-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Billy Hell
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: From Electric to gas

To get better flight times I think Lithium Polymer batteries are the way to go. My electrics now stay in the air for around 25 minutes now.
Some of your gear may be able to be switched. The thing about electric is that everything is as light as it can possibly be. If your first glow plane was very small you might be able to swap out your gear. Your rx would be able to move over to gas (as long as it's range was good). Your servos may be too small to go into a glow plane but they work great as throttle servos. Your radio would also make the jump as long as it is FM. The charges I use for my electric stuff comes in really handy for my glow stuff. If I forget to charge a plane or even a tx I can use my field charger and be in business. Hope some of this helps.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:47 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Tiger Moth with the 150mAh pack is quite uninspiring as far as duration. My suggestion is to replace the pack with a 7-cell, 300-370mAh pack of 2/3AAA NiMH cells. For the same weight, you get at least twice the duration, and the extra cell gives you more power. You can run at lower throttle settings, which will further extend your flight time. A friend of mine routinely gets 12-15 minutes on the NiMH pack.

If this is your first foray into electrics, it's probably a good idea to stay away from Lithium Polymer, LiPoly batteries until you have some experience charging and discharging batteries. A totally uninitiated novice with no electronic experience will tend to make mistakes the first few times they charge a battery. Someone new to flying, or whose skills are rusty will crash a lot. LiPolys do not tolerate many mistakes. You can destroy a very expensive battery, or burn your house down if you use the wrong charger, or settings, or if you crash the plane hard enough to damage the cells. You need to be extremely careful with LiPolys; make sure you have the right charger with the correct cell count, keep an eye on them while they're charging, and never put them in your car immediately after a crash.

That said, if you still want to forge ahead, make sure you understand the risks and rewards associated with this still-experimental technology. Having electronics experience is a major help. You'll also have some of the requisite knowledge if you're a glow pilot who is very conscientious about caring for the batteries in your planes.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:55 PM
Foxtrot_019

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I concur.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:12 PM
rogwabbit

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

best duration = lipolys, but if your going to gas.. why bother? I had the tigrt moth flying 1 and 1/2 hours on li-polys.. but it's all about what you forsee in the future. I was gas all the way ,but am now 1/2 and 1/2... I like large gas and small electrics and stay away from those 40 size ships now.. I guess I like the extremes?
lol
just me though.. there's not anything you can use in a tiger moth that will work in a 40 size ship.