Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Is a 6 channel overkill?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Is a 6 channel overkill?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 09:07 AM
benzy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a 6 channel overkill?

Ive been looking at getting into rc and have been looking around at radio gear. I have set myself on getting a slow stick for a first plane and was going to get the flight pack for it (or at least most of it if my LHS doesnt have that exact pack) and that left me with a radio. So i was looking around and came across the futaba 6EXA Computer radio. I wasn wondering if A) this is too much radio for what i will need(i know it is more than needed for a SS but what about future planes). B) is this radio tough to learn on as a begginner. I know that in many things that better equipment requires more skill to use. C) Is there a better computer radio for less? I know my LHS is a dealer of futaba but i have only been in there 2 times so i didnt really look at the other stuff close. Any help would be apprecieated.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:27 AM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Is a 6 channel overkill?

I don't see any problem with starting with a 6ch radio. Most beginners don't buy good radios to begin with, but many end up spending the mone eventually when the radio they have isn't capable of what they've grown into.
The only drawback to buying this radio is if you end up not liking this hobby (which I highly doubt will happen).
The pluses is that you shouldn't have to buy another radio for a loooooonnnnngggg time.

Jason
Old 10-23-2003, 11:29 AM
benzy2

Yeah i have always thought it looked cool so hopefully I wont lose intrest. Im spliting it with my dad as he wants to learn to fly as well. It makes the price seem not so bad for the poor college kid. I am going to go buy it tomorrow so if i get everything set up quickly i will be flying(or atepmting to fly) this weekend. Cant wait. Im tired of this flight sim. I want the real thing.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:55 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Two model memory, perfect for father and son to both have a plane
Old 10-24-2003, 05:11 AM
AKA_Gazza

ive started off with a 6 ch radio sanwa it was on special for the price of a 4ch hitec and hitec needed the 4th servo where as the sanwa had the 4 servos it was worth AUD$450 i got it for AUD$299

Gaz
Old 10-24-2003, 06:54 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

IMHO, get the best radio you can afford, and if you can't afford it, save up

Take it from a guy that did it the hard way. Started out with a Hitec Flash 4 (not the X model, the original). Bought a Prism 7, and outgrew that. Finally settled on a Futaba 8UAFS. Now I have two of those.

But, I'm hopelessly addicted. Haven't counted lately, but I probably have 30 planes in various states of repair strewn across three households. For the more normal person, a 5-6 channel computer radio with a few model memories is ideal, and probably the last radio they'll ever need. Compare the 6EXA with the Hitec Flash 5X, and the Hitec Eclipse 7.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:26 AM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

Take it from a guy that did it the hard way. Started out with a Hitec Flash 4 (not the X model, the original). Bought a Prism 7, and outgrew that. Finally settled on a Futaba 8UAFS. Now I have two of those.

Same here. I was cheap and bought a cheap Airtronics 4ch and ended up buying a JR 642 about 3 months later. Now I have 4 4ch radios I've acquired and my JR, and still have planes I can't fly. I think I may buy a new 662.

Jason
Old 10-24-2003, 10:25 AM
Bowfish

I went the 6 channel route because of advice on this site and because I think all those switches are cool. Still flying 3 channels but I plan on using it for a while.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:37 PM
benzy2

well i went on friday and bought the slow stick and the 6exa and the gws flight pack. I set the plane up as best i can. It was a little windier than i would have prefered. We put it on the ground on the infield of a dirt baseball field. It took off the ground fairly easy but once it got in the air it really turned hard left. I was probably in the air 10 seconds the first flight before it turned to hard and crashed. Then i adjusted the trim a little to the right but it still turned left but not as hard. This flight i was up from 20-30 seconds. I got it to level out and then it either hit a gust or i hit the rudder on accident but it again takes a hard left turn. Is this from the motor spinning because all the parts are centered left to right and i think my CG is set right. The rudder looked straight with the plane before i took off. I also found that the clips to hold the rudder/elevator horns come off easy and i put a clip in it to hold it steady.cant wait to fly again.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:21 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

If yo ulike switches buy a 9C