Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

How much weight can a slow stick carry?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

How much weight can a slow stick carry?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 04:36 PM
bobertperry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much weight can a slow stick carry?

Hello,
I screwed up a hummingbird servo so i thought i would replace it with on the the mico servos on my slow stick and then put some standard servos I have lieing around in the slow stick... not a problem from what i have read.

now to get to the point...
how much of a heaver battory can the slow stick carry?
Old 10-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: How much weight can a slow stick carry?

The Slow Stick can, apparently, carry quite a bit of extra weight - you can use larger servos and an 8-cell KAN 1050 pack (that's a full 6oz) without any problem.

Cheers, Phil

P.S. Not to be a tiresome pedant, but spell-check is available for a reason!
Old 10-09-2003, 02:49 AM
bobertperry

Sorry about the spelling. I really needed sleep when i wrote that.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:48 PM
Defranci

I've seen a number of posts with guys claiming their SS will fly quite well with the stock motor and "D" gearbox at 18-20 oz AUW. Before I went to Li-polys, I was flying old SS #1 at 16 oz. with no problems.
Don
Old 10-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Mr Dipthong

I had an old airtronics 4 channel receiver and standard servos that I hung on my SS just to see what would happen. With a 6 cell 900mah nimh pack it weighs in at 20.5 oz. With a fresh pack it will rog in 15 ft. and loop from level (barely). Inverted is possible for about 15 seconds. Amazingly it climbs easily and will stay up for 12 minutes. Its a great workhorse.

Glen
Old 10-23-2003, 10:09 PM
dive4life
My Feedback: (1)

Where and how much do you get your Li-polys for the Slow Stick, and what kind of performance are you getting? Do you need a seperate charger? Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 10-24-2003, 12:17 PM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

There's a guy in our club who mounted a camera on his and takes pics of the field. Seems to get good performance with it. I don't think the weight of the servos is going to hurt it too much. You will lose some climbing ability, but it will still fly...
Old 10-27-2003, 10:47 PM
slagburn

Well, I got mine up the size of the tx antenna button today, at 5000 feet GL. With, an 11x7 APC prop on a Great Planes 3:1 speed 400 gearbox, lots of epoxy and tape on the wing, and an 8 cell AA pack. What's that weigh anyhow?
It's not the best flying combo, that's my backup motor until more EPS 350C's come in, and I don't usually use that brick of a battery. I flew it until the motor quit and it was like landing a wallowing pig.
Then I put in a smaller battery and flew again, the wind started mid-flight, 20mph. A gust flipped it inverted and then... well it's a good thing for epoxy.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Defranci

ORIGINAL: dive4life

Where and how much do you get your Li-polys for the Slow Stick, and what kind of performance are you getting? Do you need a seperate charger? Thanks in advance,
Mike
Sorry for the delay; been out of town.
I have 2 SS with the older EPS 300 motors. I use 2s1p Etech 1200's from Lightflight RC. http://www.lightflightrc.com/ SS#2 normally flies at 11.3 oz and will ROG in 5 ft or less, loops from level flight and thermals quite well. I cruise at 1/2 throttle a lot, so I get around 25 to 30 minutes on a charge. If you have one of the newer SS with the EPS 350, you should go up to the Kokam 1500 batt. packs because of the higher amp draw.
LI-polys are a different animal from Nicad or NIMH, so you really need to do your homework before you start using them. Dave at Lightflight sells several brands of Li Polys and chargers and is a great source of information. Don't hesitate to email him. His "Premium" packs cost a couple of bucks extra, but are well worth the extra money.