Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

New to Electric and Need Advice

Old 10-10-2003, 04:20 PM
WCB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New to Electric and Need Advice

I fly glo fuel planes and I am looking to build an electric. A couple of years back I bought a Guillows Sopwith Camel free flight/U-Control kit. It has a 28 inch wingspan and calls for a .049 to .15 glo engine. I am thinking about building it and making it an electric powered for gentle and slow backyard flight. I know very little about electric motors and mini servos. I can make the modifications to support the electric components in the building process but I need to know what to buy. I will enable the elevator and rudder for flight control. Please give me some advice on what size motor I need, servos, speed control, battery pack, receiver etc. (flight pack). I have a JR 4 channel transmitter. Again, I want this to be a slow flier so maybe my wife could handle it, so no hot rod motor.

If you think the plane will not be suitable for this conversion please tell me and/or any advice or helpful building tips will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:30 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New to Electric and Need Advice

If it was build for an .049, a SPEED 400 should get the job done. Servos, check into HiTec's HS-55s (they're lighter then JR's micro servo).
A 20 amp speed control will take care of it.
Battery, I'd go with an 8-cell pack with more then 700mAh
Old 10-10-2003, 08:10 PM
WCB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info.

Another question. Since the plane is to scale ( 1 inch= 1 foot) is it going to be "too scale?" In other words are the scale (small) control surfaces going to make the plane under-responsive and difficult to fly?
Old 10-12-2003, 12:56 AM
3DFanatic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

PROBABLY not. I'm not familier with the Camel's control surface-to-wing area ratio, though. But if it worked for the real one, it should work for the model.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:58 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another power system option might be a geared "300" size, like the GWS EPS300C. This sounds like it'll be a very slow-flying plane, very light. Even though it has lots of wing area, you don't want to be loading it down with the heavy batteries required by a 400 system.

I just looked up the new GWS PT-17 Stearman, a much larger bipe at 38" wingspan. They use the GWS EPS350C, which is similar to the EPS300C, but with a hotter motor for a little extra power at the expense of a bit of flight time. The EPS300C drive on 7 or 8 720mAh AAA NiMH cells with a 10x8 prop (stock config) should be more than enough.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:17 PM
3DFanatic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In that case... Don't listen to me
Old 10-14-2003, 06:31 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

oh no no no! I wasn't trying to beat you up, just offering an alternative!

It's just that when I see Speed 400, I see Zagi. Zagis are fast compared to the typical park flier, and this Camel sure sounds like it'll make a great park flier It really needs a geared system to keep the speeds down, and a geared 400 would be like putting a blown big-block Chevy 572 in the real thing
Old 10-14-2003, 11:30 AM
Defranci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I want this to be a slow flier so maybe my wife could handle it, so no hot rod motor.
In that case, the smaller motor (EPS 300 or 350) would be the choice. Larger motor uses more amps, which means you need bigger batteries, which means BIG weight increase, which means the plane has to be flown faster, etc.

For servos, the Hitec HS-55's are a good choice.
For ESC, I prefer the Castle Creations Pixie series. If on a budget, the GWS are a good value.
For receivers, try the Hitec 555 or one of the Bergs. Again, if on a budget, the GWS R4n is not as glitch free, but is much less money. The Hitec feather and GWS R4P seem to have more problems with glitching. There are others, but most are heavier and in electrics the lower weight is a plus.
Don
Old 11-01-2003, 09:41 PM
Bill L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New to <span class=

I've built 2 Guillow kits, the Cherokee and the Piper Cub. They both are neat looking models, but I'm afraid to try to electrify them, as they would be so heavy for a 24 inch wingspan, that they would have to be fast flyers to stay in the air. I'm probably to conservative to buy lighter power equipment than speed 280 or speed 360 motors. Also I really like HS55 servos, feather receiver works great for me, and gws really has some small efficient speed controlers.
I built a Sterling CL model for 4 channel electric power, and realize it will weigh about 30 oz, and need a lot of thrust to get going. It has a 32 1/4 inch wingspan, and is 24 inches long.
Then, on the RCAirport contest I was the first winner, and won the Falcon III, and wonder how much electric power it will take to get it into the air. I think It is a .40 size glow model.[]
Old 11-09-2003, 01:06 PM
gofaster72

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Matt,

I have been on the verge of getting a GWS Stearman. Only two things holding me back, 1), is the motor it comes with going to be too small for the job it has to do?, and 2), the landing gear looks a lot like a 'bungi jumper' to me. Horizon has sold a lot of P-51s as a park flyer that you can spend a lazy afternoon with or a full blown pattern ship. Neither one it could be as built out of the box. Somebody should start a class action suite on those people. Too bad you can't trust how they portray their products. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:01 PM
turtallica

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Hummingbird micro-electric helicopter, and am now looking into aeroplanes.

I have seen the offer on 'electronics4u' and think it's a really good deal for the Freedom Flyer.
The only problem is: i live in the UK, and of course the mains supply is different over here than in the US.
Does anyone know if it is possible to uby an adaptor that transforms the voltage so it is suitable to charge the Freedom Flyer?
I would just buy a FF from a british site, but they are about twice the price!

Also, does anyone know if the transmitter sold in the above package is of a suitable frequency to fly in the UK? cos i know
there are laws against certain frequencies: i just cant remember them exactly!

thanx in adavance. i would really appreciate feedback!
Old 11-27-2003, 05:42 PM
goofup

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WCB, by the way, it can be done... [link=http://www.mindspring.com/~telemark/sopwith/bpe.html]Look Here.[/link] No flight report though.