Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

What to buy Electric or Gas, Please Help!

Old 10-17-2003, 12:11 PM
HighlanderJim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What to buy Electric or Gas, Please Help!

Hi Everyone,

I'm really new to R/C and I want to know what I should purchase. I want an RTF with everything in one package, ready to go. But what is the better way to go charge an electric engine or fuel one up.

Please provide your opinions to me. I will develop a Pros & Cons list on each type of engine. I want to take into consideration, flight time/power for each flight, expense, ease of use, working with a harardous material etc...

Thanks very much for all your help.

PS what RTF Planes do you suggest as well!!

Jim from Johnstown, PA[sm=confused.gif]
Old 10-17-2003, 12:16 PM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: What to buy Electric or Gas, Please Help!

You may get some bias opinions since you posted this in the electric forum.
The answer is to get what you like, and what is most widely supported in your area.
Do you have an instructor.
If not. Get one. It will save you literaly hundreds of dollars and lots of frustration.

You can generally get 40 glow trainers RTF for around $300 from most hobby shops.
I personally would recomend a Slow Stick if you want electric. People have also had good luck with the Hobby Zone planes.

Hope this helps.

Jason
Old 10-20-2003, 01:14 AM
Woodsy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok
some things to ask/find out

is noise a problem?? elsctric is quieter
is space a problem? electric (park) can fly in smaller aread
is there a flying field local? if NO electric can fly in park
is cost and issue? Glow is cheaper bang for buck
do you have an instructor? electric is less dangerous
Glow is more forgiving for extra weight (repaires, bad building, etc)
Glow can generaly fly in more wind than electric.

Horser for courses

Old 10-20-2003, 07:11 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What you choose is going to depend on where you want to take the hobby, and what kind of help you have available to you. Don't let someone put you in a position where you feel "forced" to fly one type of plane or another. It's your decision.

You should make that decision in an educated fashion, though. Try to "experience" both forms of propulsion for yourself; don't go on someone else's say-so.

If you've got no local club, or the local club is not for you, then electric park fliers should be your only choice. Trying to learn to fly glow by yourself is futile, expensive, and dangerous. Electric is hazardous too, but the beginner planes are simpler to fly, less expensive, and less complicated for the learn-it-yourselfer.

There are many perfectly suitable glow RTF setups out there, some for as little as $250 for plane, engine, and radio. The planes themselves are all pretty much identical, and the engines are excellent: OS, Thunder Tiger, and the new Evolution. It's best to ask the local club what they recommend, because they might not have buddy boxes for a certain brand of radio.

In the electric realm, you have the HobbyZone Aerobird/Firebird series. Everything from basic throttle-n-rudder to a 3-channel bird with optional parachute drop and combat module.

Assembling an ARF is nothing to fear. Many of the "foamie" park fliers are very easy and quick to assemble. A GWS Slow Stick or Tiger Moth makes an excellent first plane, and the radio gear is transferrable to another plane, unlike the gear in the HobbyZone *birds.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:42 PM
viper6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think that it is largely a matter of preference. If you want a plane that has tons of power and sounds like a plane then you'll probably like glow. The downside is that they are messy, heavy, need a lot of space and if they stall, most of them can't be restarted in flight. Also, many municipalities have noise bylaws that means you can't fly glow planes in town.
Electrics are quieter, lighter, need less space and the motors can be shut down and restarted in flight. The biggest downside to low-end electrics are the weight of the powertrain. High performance electrics are more expensive than their glow counterparts.

The main reason I fly electrics is because they are cleaner. I flew my father's glow plane for 10 minutes and I spent 20 minutes cleaning it. The exhaust seemed to get everywhere.

If you are beginning and you are planning to fly at a club then you should check out the club and talk to some of the guys to see what they think. Where I am most of the guys fly glow so there are more people to help you out.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:28 PM
Cliffw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No need to spend $300 on your first plane, Look at the commander [link=http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=958]Click to see it here[/link]. Everything is in the box for about $100. Easy to fly with almost guaranteed first flight. I had my 6 year old flying after 1 lesson (the box suggest 12 however).

If you like it then move on up to the $300 planes. I love to help beginners, Call or wmail me if I can be of any help.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:08 PM
clwgolf
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would recommend this plane for you if you want to fly electric.
I am selling a new Sky Zap electric airplane in an opened box. This airplane has never been flown. The plane will come with many extras: two extra rechargeable batteries ($40 value), (8) extra propellers, (4) extra motor covers, (1) extra antenna for radio transmitter, (3) extra sets of new wings, and (1) extra battery charger. I am asking $80,plus actual shipping costs. If you buy this airplane from me, you will receive much more than if you bought it from a hobby store. If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at clwgolf@knology.net.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31737.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	80424  
Old 12-07-2003, 02:45 PM
Sir Crash-A-lot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Look, if you want to get into the hobby, there's no point in getting a sucky "toy" plane. Get the real deal.
By far the best value is the Wattage 180 cub. For 150$ you get a 4 channel futaba (okay, it says cirrus, but they outsource to futaba) transmitter, a Cirrus MRX-4 reciver, 2 CS-9 micro servos for the elevator and rudder, a 5 amp ESC for just about anything, a NiMh pack and charger (a cheapie li-Ion pack w/ charger can be had on ebay for 15.00, I would get one) a Speed 180 motor w/ gearbox, prop, and of course the plane itself. All of this gear could be used in a slowstick, and you would save money anyway by getting the Wattage Cub and the Light Stick to move the stuff into. With an AUW of 6 ozs., it's tiny, and ALL THE PARTS ARE REUSABLE. It's a great deal.
Just trust me on this one-it's cheap, works, and is a full-function set equal in quality to a slowstick.
On the other hand, you could go my route and get the parts seperately- I got a 6ch. futaba for 50.00, a Pico Rx. for 20.00, 2 Cirrus CS-6.2 servos for 15.00 ea., and I'm getting an E-tec pack and FMA charger for 30.00 each, respectively. You can save a few bucks (135.00 including homemade plane, but minus flight pack) and get a shade more, but it's usually not worth it.
Heck, I should have gotten one of those.....
P.S. does anyone want to sell me a Tx with elevon mixing? 3 ch. is fine.