Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

hobby lobby sky surfer - anyone have one?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

hobby lobby sky surfer - anyone have one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 04:35 PM
briansommers
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hobby lobby sky surfer - anyone have one?

i just ordered one, sure looks relaxing

anyone for any tips?
Old 10-22-2003, 10:18 AM
Larry Eddy
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: hobby lobby sky surfer - anyone have one?

I had a Sky SUrfer at one point. It was pretty cool. The kind of 'plane' that you can sit in a lawn chair and fly.

My only recomendation is to perfect the hand launch and be careful not to get teh shoot strings sucked up into the prop. That is not a lot of fun to untangle. []
Old 10-24-2003, 04:39 PM
MrPlaneKid

Default RE: hobby lobby sky surfer - anyone have one?

is it hard to fly?
Old 10-28-2003, 09:32 AM
lad3

Default RE: hobby lobby sky surfer - anyone have one? (ODE to the Sky Surfer!)

Sky Surfers must be the world's easiest, most relaxing and indestructible R/C craft to fly.

They also VERY easy and FUN to ROG - just be sure your chute and wheels go straight and take off into the wind.

I know that some "real" R/C flyers will just sniff at them, but I don't care. There is just something about the largish profile/area of the craft that I like. Especially when it slowly (and QUIETLY, unlike the gasser models) drifts down from the sky. Then you can run it around the field a foot off the ground at walking speed, leisurely circling you, barely clearing your head before it zooms back up.

This is also the ONLY craft that I would even consider flying in a schoolyard at night (esp. when it's too windy during the day). I just stick some tiny blinkers on the canopy sides, and maybe a bright LED on the gondola to shine, or strobe, on the canopy above. It moves slowly and quietly, so night piloting is stress-free, and looks so surreal up there in the calm night sky. Might even bring in a UFO report or two.

And no, they aren't very fast. And you can't do many real stunts with them (aside from very tight circles, easy touch n' gos, & tight, wild corkscrew dives w/ last minute pull-outs,). While they really DO seem indestructible, IF you get one stuck in a tree, all the lines will make it a REAL chore to rescue. But they are still fun and relaxing (they also seem to attract more womenfolk and little kids than big, loud stunt planes :-) ).

I admit, $250-$299 a pop for any RTF is a little steep for most, but it is still the quickest and easiest RC craft for a novice to assemble and fly (and not totally destroy in a few days). And you can always look for used ones (or parts) at net auctions.