Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Which one to chose from?

Old 10-27-2003, 08:23 PM
ScYcS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Which one to chose from?

Ok, my son and I have absolutely no experience with rc airplanes. None. Zip. Nothing.

We're looking into getting ourselves 2 cheap beginner models to see if we like progressing further or maybe chose a different hobby alltogether.

Now, there sure is a whole lot to learn and to chose from when it comes to beginner models. We visited countless websites, ebay, hobby sites, you get the idea!

We figured our first planes should be durable and very easy to fly. Of course we also have a budget and not a big one on top of that. We thought about an individual price of maximum $80 for everything together, that means plane, motor, remote etc.

Low and behalf we looked and found a couple models we are interested in, namely the Firebird II from HobbyZone or the Sky Vector from MegaTech. Of course we're open for suggestions as long as it is in our price range. We really cannot afford more than that at this point.

Now, I also have a couple questions regarding the rc channels. If we indeed buy 2 airplanes (lets just assume we buy 2 Firebirds), can we both use them at the same time or would the remote controls interfere with each other since they're both on 27MHZ? Would we have to either fly seperately?

Thanks in advance for your input and sorry for the dumb questions, but we really know nothing about rc airplanes but we're willing to learn.

PS: please really really keep in mind that we are on a limited budget. I do know that getting a seperate remote with 4 channels is better since we could use it for our next step up, but it's a non issue unfortunately.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:21 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Which one to chose from?

There are actually 6 separate channels in the 27MHz band, numbered 1 through 6. When you buy two planes, make sure they're on separate channels. The boxes are clearly marked. If you order them, make sure the hobby shop specifies DIFFERENT channels, though. When multiple Firebirds are ordered, Horizon tends to be stupid and send them all on the same channel

I had a brainstorm. Instead of getting both planes exactly the same, why not get a Firebird Commander, and an Aerobird Challenger? That way, you and your son can learn the basics on the Commander, then progress into the Challenger where you have full three-channel control? They'll both still be fun to fly after you're proficient, and if you get the Sonic Combat modules, you can further increase the challenge.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:50 AM
ScYcS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for your answer. This helped a lot already.

Does anyone know anything about the 2 planes in the following link?

http://www.raidentech.com/sp2setofrare.html

I saw this combo and $90 for 2 ready to fly planes seems awefully cheap.

Do you think that it would be ok to start with those or should i invest a tad bit more and get a Firebird / challenger instead?

Thanks again!
Old 10-28-2003, 10:59 AM
Shawn-Palmer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd agree with the Firebird/Challenger route - inexpensive and far enough "into" things to get a real idea of what the potential for your future in the hobby is.

Both planes have a ready supply of repair parts as well - something to consider when being grounded could mean losing interest.

Shawn Palmer
Castle Creations
shawnp@castlecreations.com
www.castlecreations.com
Old 10-28-2003, 02:57 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When looking at these inexpensive all-in-one planes, be VERY careful. Don't spend your money unless you've gotten a recommendation on a specific plane. Some of these inexpensive planes fly really well, like the Firebird/Aerobird series, but many of them are pure JUNK that exist only to part you from your money. They're poorly designed, heavy, fragile and fly like crap.

That said, those "raidentech" planes do not look very promising. They appear to be very similar to a FlyZone plane that is a piece of junk. I've never heard of them, and I'm not willing to risk $90 of my hard earned money on an unproven design. I recommend that you don't either.

This is not a hobby in which to play Mr. ElCheapo. It usually ends up reaching around and biting you on the behind. Go for good value, but do not go for something based solely on price.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:33 PM
ScYcS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks. I'll take that advice and will not get myself into a unknown item only to save 30 or 40 bucks.

I think i'll probably go with the Firebird II and one other yet undetermined model. I looked into the challenger and commander and they're unfortunately a tad bit too much for our budget, so if anyone has a good suggestion for a second plane in the Firebird range (like mentioned earlier, 2 different planes might be more fun than 2 identical ones), i'd be very grateful!

Thanks a lot so far. This has helped more already than my one week of research on my own!!!

Old 10-28-2003, 03:35 PM
ScYcS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh! one more thing:

Where is a good place to buy these models online? I looked around in our area and we have one(!!!!) hobbyshop in a 50 miles radius that sells rc planes and they don't even have these RTF models but only the much more expensive trainers for $300 and up...

PS: if we decide to go the other route and get only ONE plane for the both of us, could anyone kinda bump me in the right direction on which transmitter to buy? 3 channel? 4 channel? and for how much do these go (everything included)? Which brand is reliable and trusted etc?
Old 10-28-2003, 11:00 PM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hitec, FMA and GWS all make good radio equipment - for my money I would go with Hitec [proven, widely available, and apparently excellent service - I've never needed any!].

The prices I've given are from Hobby-Lobby. The letters after the model number [e.g. 971M/R etc] are VERY IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER when you order - to make sure you get THE RIGHT ONE FOR YOUR PURPOSES.

You can get 3-channel [Focus 3 FM - $109, single stick + slide switch for throttle, a relatively large Rx, 2x HS-55 servos, and a redundant Rx NiCd pack!], but since you'll need 4-channels for ailerons you might as well get them now [Hitec Laser 4 HTR971M - $135.90 with 555 Rx and 2x HS-55 servos].

If you have the extra $35, even better would be the Hitec Flash 5 HTR971R - $169.90, with 5-channels, programmability, 5-model memory, 555Rx and 2x HS-55 servos]. All of these have the vitally important V-tail/elevon mixing function you'll need for flying wings etc.

Cheers, Phil
Old 10-29-2003, 02:23 PM
ScYcS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What does everybody think about this deal (all new parts):

- GWS Slow Stick
- 300c motor
- GWS 4 ch. receiver & Radio
- 2 servos
- 2x 600mah battery Pack
- ISC 100 Speed controller
- 30 min DC charger 12v

$165 total (shipping already included)

Is this a good deal? Do i need more items to fly this baby or is this it?
Old 10-29-2003, 09:15 PM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That sounds like a very good deal to get you started. You list the 300C motor separately? - the SS kit actually comes complete with motor/g.box and prop - check on that. The ICS 100 ESC is only rated to 5A continuous. For peace of mind I'd try to get an upgrade to the ICS 300 rated at 8A, since your 300C motor may easily draw as much as 6-8A.

Read ALL the Slow Stick threads to get some pointers on construction and search for and download the VERY informative RC Universe Review of the Slow Stick [www.rcuniverse.com/reviews.php...........]

Cheers, Phil
Old 10-29-2003, 09:17 PM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Actually, the easiest link to find that Review section is this:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/

Cheers, Phil
Old 10-30-2003, 07:21 AM
ScYcS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks a lot again.

I have the choice now between the slow Stick and a Sky Scooper Pro II. I actually tend towards the Sky Scooper at this point.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the help, made my decision MUCH easier.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:26 PM
waterskier4u022

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i would probablly suggest the freedom flyer becuz its a greeat deal for a 100 bucks and im sora new at this but many other ppl have cmmented on it as a great begginner plane
Old 11-17-2003, 12:23 PM
barelias

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am new and i had lots of confusion about which first plane to buy.Now i know the slow stick is a good choice
would u please let me know where to get that 165$ complete slow stick .Scycs ,tell me plz was the slow stick complete like that or u needed to buy more things for it. i just bought a 6 channel radio with servos and reciever ,but im thinking the servos might be little big for the slow stick,which servos should i choose? should i buy the forget about the 6 channel i got and then just do like Scycs did,but the full package for 165$? could it be much easier for a beginner?
thanks for ur help
Old 11-17-2003, 01:25 PM
ScYcS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 6 channel radio is fine. You can never have enough channels in first place. Nobody says you have to use all 6 of them at the beginning.

I did not get the slowstick for $165. It had all the necessary parts, even a radio. It was a "buy it now" deal on ebay, new and never used, but i discussed it too long with my financial manager (my wife....ahem...) and in the meantime someone bought it right off my nose.

Anyway, i am convinced that the slow stick is a VERY good beginner plane just as everybody will tell you here. I was able to find a LHS (local hobby shop) who had a slowstick assembled and he let me fly it (he got it up and down and i flew it with a buddycord) and it was really not too hard to control. Even for a total beginner like me it seemed reasonably slow and controllable.

That being said, i got another very good deal from ebay that i will fly in the next couple months i hope: Cliffw from these boards owns atlantahobby.com and sells some of his kits on ebay. I got a Ele-Bee flying wing from him and i also got someone who will show me how to fly and control it the first couple times.

You really can't go wrong with the slowstick as a beginner plane though and if i would have not gotten the Ele-Bee deal, i would have bought a slowstick as well.

Again, don't worry about your 6 channel radio as it will be more than sufficient for the slowstick and gives you room for better models later on top of that.

All the information about remotes, receivers, servos, motors, gears etc. can be very confusing at first (for me at least it was confusion a la cart), but after reading tons of stuff on the internet, i get the hang of it slowly and learned a lot about rc in general.

Have fun with whatever you will be getting!

Dennis
Old 11-17-2003, 01:37 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm surprised no one has suggested a flight simulator. You already have the computer, and there are several good ones available, for less expense than the planes you've mentioned. With most simulators (say, Dave Brown FS2001, which comes with a small but realistic transmitter type controller) you can choose to fly the small electrics, or larger more powerful planes.

I usually tell prospective students a simulator is a good way to start, even if they already have their first plane. Helps get some of those control issues out of the way.

There's also a safety issue. Some students go out and fly without an instructor or even a large, clear field, and soon find out about how quickly you can slam even a small plane into objects & people. The simulator removes that problem.

A good instructor is another fine recommendation.

My suggestions : Start with a flight simulator. Then find an instructor. Then choose a plane.

Good luck!
Dave Olson
Old 11-29-2003, 05:29 PM
Mikerjf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you want something that really flies, doesn't get upset about a little wind has a real radio,servo's and speed control and comes RTF and is easily repairable get a Multiplex Easy Star for $187.

http://hobbyhorse.com/multiplex.shtml

Mike
Old 11-30-2003, 09:38 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you are still looking for your first planes, let me share my experience and provide this advice. Don't buy two cheap planes. By one better plane. Lean to fly it, then get a second plane.

I started flying in March of 2003. I had no interest in building models, so I
went the R-T-F route. I think this is such a great way to get started.

I am a first timer. However I am also one of these guys that goes into intense
research when I get interested in something. After several months of research,
talking to people, flyers I decided to start with an electric parkflyer. I
looked at lots of planes and packages and selected the Aerobird. It is a
super value and very easy to fly. The new version, the Aerobird Challenger
looks to be an eaven better performer. Also, it has two flight modes - Sport
for the beginner or relaxed flyer and Exper for the more advanced or agressive
flyer.

HobbyZone AEROBIRD THREE CHANNEL ELECTRIC PARKFLYER

Very inexpensive and rugged for a three channel starter -
$150 at hobby stores
about $110 on e-bay.

Once you get the hang of it and get the money, you can get a second one, add the air to air combat module and dog fight! Or you can drop streamer bombs or drop a parachutist. All available as accesories. Great Father & Son fun!

The plane comes complete and fully assembled. Charge the flight battery, put
on the wing, put the batteries in the transmitter and up you go! Even the
batteries for the transmitter are included.

New flyers like me are going to crash, especially if you are teaching yourself
to fly. You don't want something that will be costly to fix. The plane is
very rugged, but there is a full line of parts available at reasonable cost.
You can replace the whole main fuselage for $49 including the motor and all
the flight electronics. A wing is $15 and the tail is $9. So, if you crash
badly you can get everything for under $75 and you are back in the with a
three channel plane.

If you are interested I have written up a tips sheet on how to fix the
Aerobird.

Here is a review of the Aerobird ( before the new Aerobird Challenger)

http://www1.wildhobbies.com/news/def...&articleid=853
On these pages you will find Videos of the Aerobird in flight
http://www.parkflyers.com/html/aerobird_video.html
http://www.modelflight.com.au/model_flight_videos.htm

With 100+ flights on the Aerobird, I fly in 15 MPH winds and fly with great
confidence. Personally, after all the bad landings I am amazed that the plane
still flies, I love it and have recommended it to many friends who fly them
now as well. They all learned very quickly!

From Electric Park Flyer to Glider

THE GREAT PLANES SPRIT SELECT 2 METER

If you are more interested in sailplane than parkflyers, the Spirit Select is
completely assembled with all the electronics installed. It includes a 72 MHZ
single stick radio. This is very easy to use and is very similar in look and
fell similar to the Aerobird's radio so I picked it right up and flew. It is
branded Hobbico, but it is really a Hitec radio.

Here is a link to the site where I purchased it for $135 complete!
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXVK55**&P=7

Here is a link to the ARF version where you can find links to two product
reviews. If you want to do some building, the ARF is the route, but for an
extra $40, I got the radio and the plane ready to fly. For me that was
perfect.
http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1045.html
Video
http://www.greatplanes.com/gallery/gpma16.mov

The plane has spoilers built in the wings that are not set-up when you get the
plane, but you don't have to enable them if you don't want to. Makes a good
project for later, and but the instructions tell you how to do it. I will do
that soon.

I started flying the Spirit in Mid July and have about 65 flights on it. In
the begining I focused on hi-start launching and landing practice. I now have
that down pretty well. However, this plane has a reputation of being a great
thermalling plane. I have had flights of 15-20 mintues and had the plane so
high it was a dot in the sky. I would definitely recommend it.

Both the Aerobird and the Spirit have been a pleasure. I would recommend them
to anyone starting out in electrics or gliders who would like to go the
ready-to-fly route rather then building.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:27 PM
DFalpha
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ah...flying wings...
Old 12-01-2003, 08:41 PM
ScYcS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I might add now after flying and trimming my wing that it was much easier to learn than i initially thought.

First 3 or 4 flights ended up crashing, but the Bee, being all EPP, didn't show a sign of damage. Now i have reasonable control over it and the fun is definately just starting.

I'm already planning on getting another wing, have some nice ideas for my bee and will continue with this hobby for sure!

Thanks again for all the advice and to all of those who say you can't have a flying wing as your first plane to learn on: You are simply dead wrong.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:32 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Congratulations on your success with your new plane.

Unless you are committed ot having you and your son with matching planes. Why not get something different for the second plane?