Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

SS First Flight

Old 10-27-2003, 09:14 PM
JeffTRS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default SS First Flight

Hey guys,

I flew my SS tonight for the first time. I guess the CG is about right. I balanced it just a little nose down 4 1/8" from the leading edge of the wing. It does tend to stall if I rev the eng to high and needs some nose down. Otherwise its a helicopter.
It tends to go nose up easily. Its hard to stear unless your moving well its more like floating... The motor took so much forse to put in because of some dried glue I never saw the need to screw it on there yet. Man what a nice slow flyer.

How do I make this wonderful plane stronger?

1. The landing gear needs some reinforcement.
2. The servos are pretty loose on the rubber seats.
I am thinking of putting basal wood in the middle or hot gluing them on.
3. The tape on the wings doesn't stick well.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:15 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: SS First Flight

Glad to hear you're liking the plane!

Yeah, that undercambered wing will cause the nose-up problem as you increase throttle. One way to counteract that is to adjust the motor to give some downthrust, like 2-3 degrees. How you'd do that on a Slow Stick, I dunno.

I'd be very conservative in reinforcing stuff. Reinforcing something that was designed to bend instead of breaking may cause something else to break. Definitely strap the servos in, though. Loose servos may be causing your lack of steering authority.

Try some of that Duck brand EZ-Start packing tape.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How can the servos be loose - they are both supposed to be screwed on to their mounts!

To prevent the "nose up" you might raise the trailing edge a little, with a shim about the thickness of a popsicle stick on the rear mount.

Cheers, Phil
Old 10-28-2003, 10:54 AM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Forgot this tip: I epoxied the wing-strengthening rods to the LE and TE of the wing, then put the tape over them.

Cheers, Phil
Old 10-29-2003, 02:03 PM
sierra gold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you're using the tape that came it the kit stuck on the sheet, it doesn't stick well. Heat really loosens it up. Try buying a roll of 2" wide transparent packing tape by Scotch or 3M. It holds much better.

Sierra Gold
Old 11-05-2003, 12:38 PM
dive4life
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with you on SS. It rocks! This is not my first plane, but I wish it was. So easy to fly. It can be flown without instruction being you allready know the concept and basics of rc flight. Definetly recomend SLOW Touch and goes your first few outings for beginers. This thing is a blast! Here's a few things i've noticed or done with this bird:

1. The landing gear should be left soft for easy ground manuvering, landing etc.
2. Watch out for the prop, easily scuffed with soft landing gear.
3. I recomend 2'x2' packing tape on the corners of the TE for both main wing and elevator. "prevents road rash"
4. Recomend reinorcement on main wing to keep proper dihedral and add stregnth.
5. Wheels are flimsy, I have replaced my dragger with two hot wheels tires glued together.
6. Definetly need to use clear packing tape instead of included tape."does not stick well"
7. Wind really pushes this thing arround. "Watch out"
8. Your servos should have brass collets that slide inside of the rubber gromet for mounting, should be little to no play in the servo.
9. Buy the GWS kit for starters, It gives you a good stock baseline to improve from and theres no guess work on parts compaitability, I paid $130+s/h for 4ch tx w/matching GWS flight pack, 600mah batt and plane. So don't pay more than you have too.

That is what comes to mind right now, I will continue to tweak as time goes on though. Excellent starter kit.
Off to go fly, Enjoy the SS.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:23 PM
eifion

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can't agree more - the slow stick is the first plane I've had any real success with, and I've been trying to get into this for about 15 years.

Had a Goldberg Gentle Lady when I was about 12 yrs old, with a cox 049 on a power pod above the wing. It flew pretty well, but on its 3rd flight an RAF harrier flew past quite low on a training mission, its ECM system obviously interpreted my transmitter signal as enemy radar and jammed it sending my glider into the ground under power. I then built a 44'' span hand-launch glider from plans in a mag - had some limited success with that till it met a tree. Then I built a coyote. It's still in one piece but is too fast for me at the moment. I've also got a .40 sized Flair Cub trainer that's barely flown - glow eingines are so noisy and troublesome and hassle and you need acres of space and a club and an instructor and all that. Didn't do anything for years till this november when I got some money for my birthday and got the slow stick.

Amazing. Absolutely amazing. It flies. The first test glide had me heart in my throat holding the plane in one hand, wondering if its going to end up as another bag of bits, but a gentle push away and it glided to a gentle landing 15 meters away. It turns and goes where I tell it, and landing - well I just point it into the wind, cut the power and the thing lands itself. I get about 30 mins flight with a 700mAh 2 cell Li-ion pack. At last I've got something that works, and works well enough to get me some experience. I've got some ligher servos on the way, when I fit them it should shed 24g from the weight of the plane. Can't wait.

My next project is buidling a Robin from [link=http://eastwindmodels.com/robin/robin.htm]eastwind models[/link] and then maybe putting a direct drive speed 400 into my Cyote.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:14 PM
zagibond

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had a blast today with my Slow Stick. I own a Zagi and a Sky Scooter, but today I flew two 1700mAh batteries out on my Slow Stick. I actually use my Zagi batteries, one can fly forever with them on a Slow Stick. It will still loop and I did about 20 touch and go landings. Sorry, just had to write to tell anyone out there wondering what to buy for a first plane that the Slow Stick is a lot of fun and very easy to fly.

Even with the heavy battery the under carriage seems OK. I had to bend it to fit the battery but it holds out. The prop will drag if the tail isn't kept down, but it lifts off in about 3 feet. Does not like wind. Can be fun hovering in the wind. Make sure that you have enough throw in the tail. Get your CG on the forward side of the range in the instructions (they are confusing). Used my own tape on the hinges. Good luck, have fun!!!!