Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Comments on these trainers??

Old 11-06-2003, 07:42 PM
walkercr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Comments on these trainers??

I am new to RC and am looking to get an electric trainer to learn on. I might be able to get some help on my first flight but will basically be on my own.
I have been looking at many sites to do research and have a question.
Most discussion forums seem to favor the TigerMoth and Slow stick with a couple others following behind like the skyscooter, aerobird, etc.
On the Hobby Lobby web site they suggest the following: Wingo, Graupner Tipsy, and Graupner Mini Piper.
I have seen the Wingo and Tipsy metioned a few times on these sites, but not many. I have never seen the Mini Piper mentioned. All seem to have gotten good reviews. Has anyone had any experience with these?? Any opinions??
I would like a good first plane that is easy to fly and can take some abuse ( I am planning to crash many times).
I would like to be able to land on wheels if possible for the practice, which discourages me from getting the Tipsy unless it is a really super flyer. Take offs from the wheels would also be nice.
I REALLY HATE the way the Slow Stick looks, even though looks are not the most important factor I would like some other options.
The Tiger Moth seems like a good choice as I think it can both take off and land on its landing gear. The Mini Piper will land but hand launches are recommended.
I am planning on getting the HiTec Flash 5X computer radio to go with whatever plane I end up with. I eventually would like to get into aerobatic electrics like the Cobra, or Eagle ... but that is a long way off.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig
PS: I am an Aerospace Engineer and have worked on several aircraft programs at Boeing and Lockheed so I have pretty good knowlege of aerodynamics.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:30 AM
goofup

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Comments on these trainers??

Looks like you've done your research! There are many good trainers you could start off with. And there are a few great trainers. But I have to agree with what you've found out- the best trainers are either the Slow Stick or the Tiger Moth. If I had to do it all over again, I'd still choose a TM. The Mini-Piper may be a tad fast for a beginner.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:52 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I second the Slow Stick.

The Wingo, Soarstar, Tipsy, and Mini Piper are all hard EPS (expanded polystyrene) foam, and while they're tough, they don't bend well under the extreme stress of a newbie learning on his/her own. Don't get me wrong, they're great planes, but you'll undoubtedly spend a bit of time epoxying them back together after a crash. For some people, this is enough to sour them on flying R/C, and in extreme cases, it's enough to inspire a lifelong vendetta against such planes. The Slow Stick doesn't have a fuselage, and the wing is made from a flexible foam material not unlike the meat trays at the local supermarket. "Bend, not break," is the philosophy. It flies slow as dirt; you literally need to set a stake to see it move, so it's ideal for someone that needs a little extra time to decide which way the plane needs to go.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:44 PM
jboy381-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i learned on th pico stikFD from GWS...that thing is a great trainer...just use a 9x7 prop instead of the 10x4.7 that comes with the kit...the 9x7 flys it better outside...

john
Old 11-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: walkercr

... I might be able to get some help on my first flight but will basically be on my own. ...... I would like a good first plane that is easy to fly and can take some abuse ( I am planning to crash many times). I would like to be able to land on wheels if possible for the practice...... Take offs from the wheels would also be nice. .....
Thanks, Craig
PS: I am an Aerospace Engineer and have worked on several aircraft programs at Boeing and Lockheed so I have pretty good knowlege of aerodynamics.
Hi Craig. Welcome aboard.

Won't the Lockeed Martin RC Modelers club assist? Or another local club? That's usually the first recommendation, find a friendly club and go with their recommendation.

If that doesn't suit you, hey, no need to start out crashing & fixing. Planning to crash a lot is not necessary. Get an RC Flight Simulator and you can learn tons about the stick movements, making the model do what you want, and details like that reversal when the plane is coming at you. Plus, with the simulator, you can fly 3 channel, 4 channel, Wingo, Extra, whatever you wish.

My buddy pretty much taught himself all the motions with a SoarStar. It fixes really easy, has a geared 380 (I understand that's a bit better than the Wingo motor....) I know he recommends it, and I saw the results.

My recommendation would be the Flight Sim first (It'll save you more than it costs, in crashed planes) and my second recommendation would be the Soarstar.

Go for it!
Dave Olson
Old 11-08-2003, 11:20 PM
walkercr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am no longer with Lock Mart, but a couple guys in my office have volunteered to help me get up and around the first couple times. They both fly wet so picking out and building a suitable trainer is up to me.
I had a chance to see a Slow Stick at the hobby shop (Grave's Hobby in Orlando) and it doesn't look too bad. Just need to figure out all the pieces that fit in (reciever, batteries, prop, servo's, etc) Any advice would be helpful. I will be searching the forums tomorrow.
Thanks for the help.
Craig
Old 11-11-2003, 12:29 PM
tegwin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What do you guys think of the multiplex easy star as a starter plane??
Old 11-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Mikerjf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

IMHO the Easy Star is the best electric trainer on the market. $188 RTF from Hitec.

Mike
Old 11-13-2003, 09:10 AM
Wyld Weasel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi All:

Just to throw my two cents in. I bought a Firebird Commander and was able to fly it almost right out of the box.OK almost out of the box I had to charge the batteries. I lost the commander 2 wks ago because of TX problem so now my commander is gone I'm stepping up and building and EastWind Model's Robin .I think just for the ease of flying try the FB Commander until you get the hang of things after that the sky is the limits. Good luck on your choice of airplanes and have many hours of flying.

Wyld Weasel