Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Planes vs. Helicopters

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Planes vs. Helicopters

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 01:00 AM
Chad9703

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planes vs. Helicopters

I am new to RC and am debating between electric planes and gas helicopters. I have already read that helicopters are more expensive and harder to fly.

What are the pros and cons of each?

Also, does anyone know anything about the Multiplex Easy Star trainer?

Thanks.........
Old 12-11-2003, 08:01 AM
ScYcS

Default RE: Planes vs. Helicopters

The easystar is supposed to be one of the easiest planes to fly. It also appears to be pretty durable. I think it would make a real good starter airplane. Read lots about it here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=144078

Helicopters are really hard to fly as you already said. The big advantages of helicopters is that they are somewhat smaller than airplanes and you can do things with them (e.g. hover in one spot) that you simply can't with an airplane. However, Airplanes have other qualities like speed and gliding that you'll never get with a Heli.

It's really two bags of tea and i think starting with an airplane will be much easier. The good thing about the hobby is that once you have many parts, they are interchangable. You can use servos from planes in helis and vice versa for example.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:51 PM
Chad9703

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to go for the Easy Star (after reading the posts about it)

I have a 4 channel radio from a while back when I was going to fly gas airplanes (but never did). Will "regular" radios work with micro servos that they use in electric planes?
Old 12-11-2003, 04:30 PM
ScYcS

Depends on what a "regular" radio is.....As a rule of thumb you can use any radio meant for rc airplanes (72MHZ range) for all the airplanes there are out there, be it glow, heli or electric. You will need a receiver on the other end (in the plane). There different kind of receivers. Some work with AM, some FM and then there is negative shift and positive shift. Make sure you have the info that is needed to get the right receiver for your transmitter. Also some servos have different connectors than others (mostly named Futaba/Hitec and JR). The parts have to fit together. That is unless you have a really fancy radio that doesn't care about negative/positive shift (shift select) and/or dynamic channel......but i doubt it
Old 12-12-2003, 09:49 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you see this thread on the Easy Star?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=144078
Old 12-12-2003, 10:54 PM
Chad9703

I did see the post on the easy star. I'm debating between the Easy Star, Wattage Cessna 180, and the Slow Stick that everyone talks about.

Does anyone have any experience with the Wattage Cessna 180? I saw that it comes with a 4 channel 2 stick radio.

Also, does anyone know if the book "Entering Electrics" is any good?

Thanks.......
Old 12-12-2003, 11:04 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If it is a "Higley" book, it will be good! I have three of his books and I love them all.

I believe the Wattage is a clam day or indoor flyer. If that is what you are looking for, fine. Other than that, you have a couple of good planes there. Personally I recommend the Aerobird Challenger. That is what I started on. Now I have 8 planes.