Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Cessna 180 RTF

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Mclarenhpi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cessna 180 RTF

Is this a good plane. Can anyone tell me the Battery fly time length? Are the controls good. IS it fast or medium speed. Is it durable against crashes? Can it be hand launched, and or flown off the grround? WHen you land, do you have to land on grass or can u land on concrete. And if there is anything else you want to tell me about the plane. please do. Here is a link to it http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/128309.asp
thank you
Old 12-13-2003, 08:34 AM
goofup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cessna 180 RTF

Disclaimer- I don't have one of these and I'm just going on what the ad says, ok?

Is this a good plane. No, It's an average R/T/E plane. I can't see anything special about it other than that low "package" price.
Can anyone tell me the Battery fly time length? A 300 mah should give you somewhere about 7 minutes. I don't know if a larger one will fit, but they don't offer any other battery sizes as an option.
Are the controls good? Yes, standard Mode 2 controls. However, this is a cheapo 27 mhz "toy car" radio with limited range and prone to glitches (see the parts replacement page). The ad brags that you can use the gear in other planes, but I wouldn't want to!!
IS it fast or medium speed. With a 180 in it about "medium" speed. This won't be a slow flyer (which is what a beginner should get).
Is it durable against crashes? I assume it's foam and therefore, like most foam planes, fairly bounceable but easily repaired if it does break. (Yes, any plane will break up in a crash. There is no "indestructrible" plane.)
Can it be hand launched, and or flown off the grround? Well, it's wing span is only 24"- sure it can be hand launched. It's got wheels and a big enough motor- I'm also sure it can do takeoffs.
WHen you land, do you have to land on grass or can u land on concrete? (When I first started lots of times I didn't have a choice! it just came down at the worse times and places!) To answer- On one hand a plane that small, light, and with those tiny wheels will get tangled up in the grass on landing, stopping it dead in it's tracks. However, grass is pretty soft and doesn't cause near the damage if the landing isn't perfect. Hard surfaces will allow it make "proper" landings (and takeoffs), but can cause much more damage if the landing isn't perfect. As a beginner, I would never fly over hard surfaces unless I know what I'm doing.

To all you beginners out there- we're all lured by pretty and cheap planes. While that concept works great when it comes to women, it's a really bad concept for your first plane or trainers.

Get a Slow Stick or Tiger Moth and a good radio system. Then you can get a nicer Cessna (or whatever) for your next plane after you've learned to fly on either of those excellent planes.