Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Futaba Tx / Rx HELP

Old 12-16-2003, 10:51 AM
brainscram

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba Tx / Rx HELP

I have a Futaba Skysports6 Tx and intend to use it for Electric Thermal Soarer. Could anyone tell me the transmitter range??? and advise a matching 4 channel (at least) receiver, (Micro or Mini) that would do the job.
I was told yesterday that a R114F Micro Rx only had a range of approx 650 feet and wasn't the best for the job.
PS : Does it have to be Micro / Mini or would a standard Rx do the job?
Old 12-16-2003, 01:26 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba Tx / Rx HELP

Congratulations on your new radio and your plans to go e-gliding.

The range will be more controlled by the receiver than the radio. The transmitter can probably send out 2 miles, or as far as you can see. It is the specs on the receiver that you need to check.

I can't talk from the Futaba FM/PPM receiver line, but I can speak of the Hitec FM/PPM line which is compatible with the Futaba radiol Both Hitec and Futaba are designated as "negative shift" which has to do with how the radio sends its codes on 72 MHZ. No need to understand it, you just need to know that your radio is negative shift. This is often refered to as Futaba/Hitec compatible.

Hitec Feather - 1000' - I would not use this for a thermal glider/sailplane
Hitec micro 555, Electron 6, Super Slim 8, Shift Select and Supreme 8 are all 1 Mile Plus - Any of these would be good for thermal soaring. The Micro 555 has long been popular among glider pilots if 5 channels is enough for your plane.

Many of the GWS receivers are also compatible with the Futaba radio, bu I would not recommend most of them for a glider/sailplane as their range is somewhat limited. Their 8 channel might be suitable for thermal gliders.

The GWS 4 channel receivers are generally 500' or less range
The GWS 6 channel receivers are about 1500' feet.
Not sure about their 8 channel, but it think it is 1 Mile, like the Hitec receivers.

If you are going to thermal fly gliders/sailplanes I would make the following range suggestions.

For a two meter plane, I would suggest at least a 2500'/half mile range. I fly some of my 2 meter planes with a Hitec AM radio with 3000 foot range and have speced them out many times with no range issues.

For anything larger than 2 Meters, I would suggest you stay with the the full mile range receivers.

You can't have too much range, but you can have too little.

Good luck with your new radio and your soaring.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:09 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Agreed. 650' is not going to cut it for a 2-meter glider.

With any Futaba dual-conversion (DC) receiver, the range will be farther than you can see. Such is the case with dual-conversion receivers in general. There are many quality manufacturers of dual-conversion receivers in many different sizes, including Futaba, Hitec, and FMA Direct. FMA makes a dual-conversion micro receiver, in fact, the M5. It's a little bit pricey, but it doesn't weigh much more than common single-conversion receivers like the "feather" receivers used in park fliers.

The difference between a micro receiver and a standard receiver is about an ounce. An extra ounce isn't going to make a significant impact on the way a 2-meter glider flies, as long as it will physically fit inside the fuselage. Dragging an extra ounce around is certainly better than installing a receiver that doesn't have sufficient range to fly the plane as it was meant to fly.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:25 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hitec Micro 555 five channel and Hitec Electron 6 six channel are both over 1 mile range and are Futaba compatible in the US. I would recommend them for any sailplane/glider electric or not.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:43 AM
Mikerjf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hitec 555 and Electron 6 are both full range dual conversion rcvr's range is the same as a standard rcvr, the 555 is a favorite for gliders. A good full range mini rcvr is the Berg 5 channel, around $60, abut the same size/weight as the FMA 5.

Mike