Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

GWS Pico Stick FD

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 02:50 PM
Chad9703

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Pico Stick FD

Would the GWS Pico Stick FD be as good as the slow stick for a beginner? It looks more like a real plane since it has a fuselage.

Also would the Multiplex easy star be considered a slow flyer?

Thanks for all the info and patience......I think I'm out of questions for now!
Old 12-13-2003, 03:30 PM
skrag

Default RE: GWS Pico Stick FD

I don't know about the Multiplex. but I fly a GWS Slow Stik and a friend flies the Pico Stik. I have flown his Pico Stik and it flies very much like the Slow Stik, except the Pico being smaller cannot endure very much wind at all and it buffets a little more. I think the biggest differnces between the pico and the slow is that the former would be more ideal on very calm days and close in flying or indoors, where the latter can be flown further away from you because of its size without losing orientation, and endures a pretty good amount of wind (believe me, I have tested that) ;-) So your question is would it be as good? I think that depends on your flying space, but yeah, the pico flies just as easily as the slow stik with maybe the edge going to the slow stik a little in the stall recovery class because of its power and manueverability. I have put my slow stik through some pretty harrowing paces, some intentional, some not so intentional! ;-)

Happy landings.

Bill B.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:06 AM
sierra gold

I had the Pico Stick (not FD) as my first plane and it flew OK. I was returning to RC after an 11 year "vacation." It flew OK, but doesn't like any wind. The stick version had a spruce stick fuse which was quite fragile.

My second plane was the Slow Stick. Wish it had been my first. Much nicer in an outdoor environment than the Pico Stick. It has a 46" wing span and a larger motor. An excellent first plane.

If you go with the SS, get a 7 or 8 cell, 800-1100 mah battery pack.

Sierra Gold
Old 12-15-2003, 01:35 PM
Chad9703

The stats that I saw on the pico stick (not FD) and slow stick looked the same in regards to wingspand and weight. I did not see any info on the different engines though.

I did see that the pico stick is better in low wind conditions. What other factors are involved?

Check out this website...

http://www.hobbytron.com/Electric-Pl...WS-Planes.html
Old 12-15-2003, 05:58 PM
Chad9703

Strike my last post. I see the different wingspans and weights now.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:17 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

A couple of people I know have had issues with the wing folding in midair for no apparent reason on their Pico Sticks. The Slow Stick's wing, in contrast, is much stronger.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:50 PM
skrag

I probably should have weighed in a little stronger in my previous post about which plane to fly, but I wouldn't trade my Slow Stik for 2 Pico's if that helps clarify things. ;-) Also I agree with the post concerning the Pico Stik wing just giving way. It doesn't seem to be nearly as sturdy but the Pico is 2 wings, and the Slow Stik is one wing just brought together by a fold a the dihedral. I also agree with the post about the batteries. If you really want to have some fun and push the plane a little, an 8 cell 1200mah NiMH battery is the ticket. Be warned though that the extra voltage might shorten the life of your motor because these are rated for 6 volts, and you are kicking them with 9.6... but man, I can prop hang, do mid air turns, fly inverted, you name it with the extra power on board. So I just have bought a couple new motors sooner than most other people. I like to think I have had more fun! ;-) Also I have recently switched over almost exclusively to the 2 cell Li-Po batteries. I can fly now for 30 to 45 minutes (depending on how much wind I have to fight or the stunts I try to pull) on one battery. I bought 3 of the Li-Po's so I can fly ALL afternoon without having to recharge batteries in the field! BUT, since it takes so long to recharge a Li-Po (mine are 7.2v 1200mah and it takes 3 hours at a 1C charge, and about the same at a 2C charge), I need the extra batteries or I would be falling back to the NiMH batteries. Should I get to feeling the need for the extra boost, I still drag out the 8 cell 1200 NiMH batteries. Last point and I'll shutup... the Li-Po's being so light change the CG of the plane. I have to mount my Li-Po's way forward of the landing gear (I just strap them on with a rubber band) just to get the CG back to right. No problem really but if you don't want it to be tail heavy if you DO go Li-Po, then this is something to be aware of. If you have broadband and want to check out some of our flying fun videos, you can visit our lektrik flyer webiste [link=http://www.afsc.k12.ar.us/ef]Lektrik Flyers[/link].

Happy landing.

BB