Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

take off/landing on grass???

Old 12-17-2003, 07:33 PM
rcnovice100

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default take off/landing on grass???

Hi there folks,

Does anyone know of an electric, RTF, plane that can take off and land on grass properly????

The only reason i ask is because that part of the flying process is realy important for me....

When i get my plane i wanna be able to enjoy the feeling of pully off really good landings etc

And the only area that i have available to me is grass...
ps. must be rtf cause dont want to do any bulding work

thanks
Old 12-18-2003, 01:56 AM
DanaWatson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: take off/landing on grass???

I'm super new to RC, but I can tell you that I have spent about 20 hours researching it online and the only RTF plane I know of that will fly from the grass is the Aerobird Challenger. Most others seem to be hand thrown. There may be others, but I just haven't found them yet.

Dana Watson
www.danawatson.com
Old 12-18-2003, 07:43 AM
goofup

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Depends on the length of the grass. Your wheels must be at least twice as tall as the grass or they'll get tangled up/sink down in it. The other thing you need is enough power to pull those wheels through the grass on takeoff. I had a T-hawk (same size/power as the Challenger) and those dinky wheels just hated grass.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:50 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Many RTF planes have landing gear, but they're just for show. Most of 'em have pretty dinky wheels, and no true rudder control for steering on the ground. They require a smooth dirt/paved runway pointing straight into the wind, and a bit of luck for ROG and LOW (Rise Off Ground, Land On Wheels).

You need to step up into more "serious" planes to get true ROG capability, and nearly all of those require some assembly. Most GWS stuff, for example, will take off from smooth grass. I know for a fact that the E-Starter does well, even in fairly tall grass. Note that this isn't building, it's assembly. The truly tedious tasks like stick-building and covering are unnecessary, because the plane is made of foam.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:38 PM
Ozprey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i know of a few that can: pop angel, electrafun, fighterbirds and as you say, areobirds. my advice: go get a Thunder Tiger Sparky 400. they are an exelent trainer, and with a tail wheel they might be capeable of ROG(rise of ground). but it's up to you
Old 12-19-2003, 08:03 AM
Matt Kirsch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you're going to expand your search to ARFs, why not the GWS Slow Stick? It's got big mamba-jamba wheels and will take off from reasonably kept grass. The Sparky 400 is a possibility, but it's also made of balsa. If you're going to be slamming the plane into the ground repeatedly, trying to learn on your own, balsa is not the best choice.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:16 AM
DanaWatson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another plane that I found that will launch from the ground is the MegaTech AirStrike. Anyone know anything more about this plane. It might be the next plane a step up to after my Freedom Fighter. Unless someone can change my mind.

Dana
Old 12-21-2003, 11:20 PM
jatoo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I definately share your feeling about the importance of take of and landings, it is so pleasing to put your plane on the ground, watch it pick up speed and rise into the air. It is also great to pull of the perfect smooth landing. I have the aerobird (if the challenger had come out just a few months earlier[:@]). I fly it on a school oval and the grass there is fairly thick. I do manage to take off from the ground though. But if you do get into a thicker patch it will not pick up any speed. I just look for a nice hard patch of ground with little grass and take off from there. One problem though is that it is very hard to get it to go straight. You can easily bend the landing gear and tail wheel to adjust it but is very hard to get it right, and after even a smooth landing will be way of again. This is not a problem as long as you can accept that it will not take off the way you face it. You can steer it on the ground with the control surfaces once it picks up a bit of speed, but not too much. I find that I will give it full input and have to be ready to centre it the second it leaves the ground or... you know. It will also land on the ground and it is a lot easier than taking off. I usuall throw it to take of now but it is so great to do a ground take off. I would recomend it.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:24 AM
Matt Kirsch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dana,

Stay away from the Megatech AirStrike, Capitol Flyer, or any of their other 34" wingspan electric planes of that nature (they have several models, all the same). If you don't believe me, do a search here, and on rcgroups.com. They're bad news. You will be disappointed.

There is no way with their tiny wheels that they will ROG from grass. In fact, I doubt if the plane will ROG, since very few people have been able to make them fly at all.

When shopping for a plane, do NOT believe the advertising hype. Come here for the real skinny before you buy.