Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Electric Flight Faq?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 07:35 PM
rightflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Flight Faq?

I started flying indoor electric last winter, but I am still on a learning curve. really fun, but I am not as comfortable with electric as I am with glow or gas. Is there a faq that explains common terms in electric such as 280, 300, 380, 400 size motors, for example?
Old 02-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Electric Flight Faq?

You have to go to the "other" forum:

http://www.ezonemag.com/pages/efaq.htm

The Speed 280, 300, 400 designations indicate, very crudely, increasing size (originally based on length of "can") and power. GWS is weird because their designations for IPS motors typically include gear ratio, but their 100C, 300C, 350C and 400C relate to motor size again [but their 100 is a 280 motor, their 300 is a 370 size, their 400 is a 380.....!!!!!]. Once you get into brushless motors its a whole new can of worms because each manufacturer uses his own peculiar designation, variously based on such things as number of turns (winds), length and diameter of case, Kv, max. amps, max. number of cells, gear ratio, even thrust output!

Cheers, Phil
Old 02-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Electric Flight Faq?

Yes, the numbers generally indicate one or more dimensions of the motor, but that kind of information is useless in determining the suitability of a motor for a particular application. What about "Chevy Malibu" tells you that I'm talking about a midsize sedan? Treat the numbers as nothing more than flashy model names, or you'll go nuts.