Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

good aileron trainer

Old 03-20-2004, 04:50 PM
topdawg516-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good aileron trainer

i am wondering what a good aileron trainer would be. i have had experience flying helos and planes are pretty easy for me. i have a slow stick right now taht i love to death but i feel that i am ready to move on and try ailerons. i have heard either an e-starter or a dandy is a good choice but then again i have heard about people who flew a formosa with the throws set low for their first aileron plane. so i am wondering what a good choice would be. i have never built a balsa plane but i think it would be really cool to. well if anyone could give me any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it. thanks.

-nick
Old 03-20-2004, 10:25 PM
crashingagain

Default RE: good aileron trainer

The estarter works well as an aileron trainer and I would suggest it. The formosa could be used as well but be aware that with its low-wing and no dihedral it will not right itself so you will have to really watch what you are doing. I have both and the formosa is my favorite gws plane but I feel that its too big of a step going from the stick to the formosa, for me at least anyway.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:36 AM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

I can put in a very good word for the Dandy Sport. It's been my aileron trainer and it has been fantastic!

It's an easy build.

The Sport wing is an aileron wing with some dihedral to it, so it offers good stability as a trainer, but it isn't by any stretch a "plain vanilla" flyer.

One of the things that drew me to it is the fact that there is a GT wing available for it, it has a symmetrical airfoil, so when I feel ready to go the next step into aerobatics al I need to do is order a new wing and get a servo for it if I don't feel like moving a servo from wing to wing. That wing will interchange with the Sport wing and it will be like having two airplanes in one.

I also ordered one of the foam wings that Mountain Models has started making for it, and it's got some minor differences with the balsa wing in handling.

Once I got it trimmed I've found it to be a very easy to handle airplane and it also doesn't mind getting tossed around a bit. I got the 350 motor for it. It comes with the option of that, or a 100 motor, or a 300.

I've gotten what I was hoping for and then some.

It's worth serious consideration and, from where I see it, it's guaranteed to live up to expectations.

Cheers!!!

BobbyG
Old 03-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Vahn
My Feedback: (6)

Wow. This plane looks like my upgrade path! Thanks for the post.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:55 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

Glad it got your attention Vahn!

I forget that Mountain Models has also come out with a new airplane, similar to the Dandy. It's 2" longer and is an intersting hybrid. It has a balsa fuselage and a foam wing. Like the Dandy there's a couple of wing options for it. A slow flyer wing with no ailerons and a sport wing with ailerons.

I don't know if Doug, the owner/designer/fabulous-customer-service man in charge has plans for a symmetrical airfoil win for that airplane, too - it's called the SmoothE.

He's got a great product line that offers very interesting growth and diversification paths .....

Crikey!

I sound like a stockbroker ....

Cheers!!!

BobbyG