Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Anyone seen this plane before?

Old 12-31-2003, 12:24 PM
Y2KGTP
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Anyone seen this plane before?

125$ + has a wireless camera included as well....

This newly designed and released 3-CH R/C Airplane glider/plane kit has a extra large 42 inch (over 1 meter) wingspan and is RTF (ready to fly). It includes a motor, two micro servos with control rods pre-attached, and receiver pre-installed. The kit also includes a 3 Channel radio transmitter, a new powerful 8.4V 600 mAh NiMh (nickel metal hydrade) battery flight pack, and charger. Basically this kit has everything you need to fly the day you receive your package except for the 8 AA batteries that you supply for the radio transmitter.

This aircraft operates as both a motorized glider and a plane. The huge wingspan in combination with lightweight construction and the powerful 380 Mabuchi type motor provide terrific lift. Once airborne at high altitudes simply use the variable speed control on the transmitter to adjust throttle speed or simply turn it off completely glide and collapse the prop in flight for maximum airborne flight time!

Features:

Full 3 Channel capability with a variable speed throttle control
Digital proportional standardized radio control system.
Motor controller has a sensitive reaction, has a low voltage drop and strong anti-interference.
Interchangeable crystals are available on 3 separate frequencies making for trouble free competition or flights with pilots who have planes up concurrently.
Newer high performance turbo 380 motor that uses low electric current while maximizing power.
Easy for a beginner to operate because it is lightweight yet has a sturdy construction.
Reversible rudder and elevator controls.
Battery: New and improved Ni-Mh (8.4V) for longer lasting flight time.
Neck-strap holder pre-installed on all radio transmitters.
Tow holes included under nose.
Excellent high altitude slow gliding/soaring. Extraordinarily stable to use as a UAV (un-manned aerial vehicle). The plane can naturally take on the added weight of a micro-camera with just minor adjustments to it's center of gravity.
Excellent gliding function. By adjusting the speed of the motor to a lower level of throttle, the prop will collapse in flight to reduce resistance and maximize aero-dynamics.

http://store.yahoo.com/raidentech168/3rarecoaiwis.html
Old 01-29-2004, 11:36 AM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Anyone seen this plane before?

I believe that would be the Accipiter Badius by Shun Da. Seen them on ebay but never flown one. I think there are a few threads in here on that plane. Tagcaver
Old 02-01-2004, 11:42 AM
deathspiral

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought a badius for me and one for my dad for Christmas. lots of control line time, no R/C. Paid $55.00 off Ebay.com, and parts from raidentech.com. The plane has proven extremely tough, as it has played lawn dart on any number of occasions. Flies great, although a handful at full throttle, so I use that for climb out, and then throttle back to manuever. Parts are dirt cheap. Wings, $7.00, bats $10.00, rx $10.00, crystals $3.00. Have used both the poly and straight wings--both work good, the straight wing more touchy but has better wind penetration. I have learned to reinforce the wings with packing tape and on the poly wings, I glue a piece of balsa in the joint. Now, i'm into slope soaring, since I live in Marin County, CA, where wind and hills are everywhere.

Busted two wings while slope soaring in 15 knots winds with turb, but hey, that's more than the little Badius was probably designed to so. I'm going to move up to a Ripmax Coyote, EP, at $69.00, also a steal--just move the radio gear over. All in all, probably not a great trainer for someone without any experience, since it flies pretty fast, but for the money, a great all around motor-glider and helped me learn the basics of R/C and slope soaring...now I'm hooked!
Old 03-22-2004, 01:33 AM
Thunderstones

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My Brother bought an Accipiter Badius, and it looked like good quality for the money so I bought one too. We've flown together several times, and separately as well.

The badius is way tougher than you'd think. I augered in at full throttle from about 100 feet and was able to repair it. Damage to the wing only. The fuselage seems almost indestructible.

I suggest that you use clear packaging tape on the wing joint when assembling so that the holes in the wing root don't get torn out. Also, the wing will hold up a LOT better if you overlay the leading edge with the tape. Since the trailing edge is thin, I reinforced that the same way. If you tear a wing or tail, you can repair it with white glue (Elmers or Borden's. CA will dissolve the foam.) and clear packaging tape over the tear. It's an easy repair and it works great. And if you replace the prop, put a smudge of CA glue on the motor shaft before you push the prop hub on. Then set the plane nose-down so that no glue runs into the motor bearings. I had a prop get loose and come off in flight, that's why I suggest the CA glue. I took my eyes off the falling prop to land the plane and had a merry time finding the prop afterwards!

Here's the important part: This was my absolutely FIRST flight with R/C. Learning to fly has been a completely do-it-yourself project, I've had no coaching. The Badius can fly pretty fast in a shallow dive or at full throttle, but if you throttle back and don't get crazy, it just floats along. Plenty of time to recover from my mistakes. It's quite stable, but maneuverable enough to get you in over your head. To me, that means that as I get better skills, I'll still enjoy flying it. I read somewhere that someone had done a loop with it, but the wings flexed 'alarmingly'. I haven't looped it, but a sharp pullout from a dive will make you worry about the wing, so I can back up the comment. It's a sailplane, not an aerobat. By the way, I routinely overshoot my landings. this thing glides forever!

I have one criticism. The transmitter has two sticks, one for elevator and one for rudder. I think that's called "mode one". I REALLY wish it had a single stick, it'd be a lot more intuitive to fly. Also, the throttle is a knob on top (my Brother's) or a lever on the back of the transmitter (Mine) and it isn't real handy. Also, the battery charger will cook your battery if you leave it on for a long time. I'm careful to take mine off charge when I feel it getting warm.

All told, it's a cheap entry into R/C. From opening the box to taking it out to fly is less time than it takes to charge the battery. It's repairable, and unlike the cheapo planes with differential thrust for control, you actually have good proportional control of pitch, rudder, and throttle. For the price, you can't go far wrong! I'm still glad I bought mine!
Old 03-22-2004, 03:56 PM
r/c jet flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought an Accipiter Badius with a crash kit just in case. The review is encouraging. I hope to have it by next weekend