Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

GWS P-51 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Ace9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS P-51 Mustang

Hello all; I am new to the Electric thing.I have just purchased a P51 Mustang by GWS(EPS-350C).I have purchased a 3S1P 1200 Kokam Li-Poly.I was considering a Brushless Razor but am unsure which one (300/350/or 400)Also considering a Castle Creations Phoenix-25 ESC to go with it.I would welcome some advice.PS. I have flow Glow R/C Aerobatics for about 10 years.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:21 PM
Alliot

Default RE: GWS P-51 Mustang

ACE 9, The GWS P-51 Mustang is a good plane but I don't recommend it for your first electric plane. Last year, I helped one guy to fly the plane. He flew glow planes, but he just wanted to try electric planes. The stock P-51 was underpowered and he had difficulty flying it. The plane flew almost above the stall speed. The one you have is powered by a brushless motor, so I hope you'll have a luck on it. Anyway, why don't you get a GWS slow stick for your first electric plane before you move up to warbirds?
Old 01-18-2004, 12:36 AM

Default RE: GWS P-51 Mustang

If you have flown any glow war planes, then you can fly the Mustang. Like any war plane it likes speed, too slow and too much elevator and it will snap. As Ace9 said the stock system is just fast enough to fly, but since you are already considering brushless, you will have a blast. I don't have brushless in my Mustang, but I do have the Himaxx 2015-4100 in my Formosa. This motor is about the same as the 350. I am setup for more thrust than speed, but with a few changes in the prop and gear box you should get more speed. On my Formosa I use the "D" gear ratio and a 10x6 Prop. I use the Phoenix-25 also. Works great and I can always add use it in something more powerfull later on, so that is my choice. I couldn't find anyplace that had Razors in stock, that is why I used the Himaxx. But I am completely satisfied. Anyway, If you went with the 350 and the "C" gear box, with about a 9x7 prop I think you would be fine. I would get an APC prop though. You would be turning the GWS prop a little faster than it was designed for. I believe that the 350 is the most versitile of the Razors and you could get a few different size props and gears for experimenting. I am just putting togather my GWS Corair and I am using the same setup as my Formosa execpt for the C gearing and 9x7 prop. Some people may come in mentioning a CG propblem with the plane, but its not a CG problem it a speed problem.

Oh, let me add, be carefull on the amps with the 1200 Kokams, if you have some way to measure the amps do so. I think my Corsair will be pulling less than 9 amps at full power.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:20 AM
carl.ward5

Default RE: GWS P-51 Mustang (Robbe Mustang)

I would appreciate some help if you can spare the time.
I fly the larger IC powered hanger 9 Mustang, SU 31 and others. I have purchased a built up Robbe Mustang complete.

Ihave tried a couple of hand launches but it just didn't pull away. Landed abruptly! (or controlled crash?!)

I have flown glow Club 20 pylon racers years ago similar in size only no probs here.

The motor is a race 600, protech pro 35 ESC, Ripmax Sanyo 8.4V 2000mAh 7 cell pack and a "slimprop"8x4 propeller.

After the hand launch I tried to keep level flight to pick up airspeed to no effect.

I was going to change the prop to a 9x6.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Carl
Old 02-04-2004, 10:25 AM

I am not real familiar with that size of power system. I can give some general advice though. What does your plane weight? I looked it up and the Robbe should be around 20oz. With the size of your power system, it is probably a little over weight. So that means even more speed. A bigger prop is probably just what you need. Can you measue the amps? If so, that is a big help, it will let you know how much power you are producing. Then you can just add bigger props till your are at the max amps your system can handle. Will the race 600 motor handle a 9.6 volt pack? This will give you more power, but again it will cost some weight. It sure sounds like you know how to launch and fly, you are just lacking power. I ran into trouble once with a bad battery pack. Have you run yours through some cycles? Again the amp meter would come in handy here.

EDIT: I took another look and I think I may have been looking at the wrong mustang. I am not sure that 20 oz is right.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:31 AM
carl.ward5

Many thanks, it appears the battery pack is ok. I have run it through 4 times and slow charged it each time.

I will check to see what the motor can take.

I will also get my meter and get some readings that way as well. The weight sounds about right but I will check and get an all up weight. (I will double check this as I get a little confused with European metric.. I will convert into oz and let you know)

I will get a selection of props from the shop tomorrow and do some tests.

Thanks for the pointers I do appreciate it. This electric thing is new to me.

Regards, Carl