Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

News for fellow aeroirders....

Old 01-04-2004, 02:12 PM
DFalpha
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default News for fellow aeroirders....

Hey all.......... Just finished my 30th flight with my orange babe today............. flew great even in light rain and wind... 27 minute flight!
Anyone need tips on her give me a call cause iv gone through everything with this great little plane!
Old 01-04-2004, 03:35 PM
shams42
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: News for fellow aeroirders....

Congrats...

I just didn't have good luck with my aerobirds. I think the biggest problem with the design is relying on a rubber band to deflect the ruddervators down. I kept having problems where only one would deflect downward. If I shifted the rubber band, I could get the other to deflect, but only one at a time. I tried adding two rubber bands for more tension, which works for a while... until the added pull opens the v-tail up to a wider angle, basically killing the vertical stabilizing aspect of the tail and making the plane unstable in the air and almost impossible to control.

The aerobird would be a much, much better plane if it used pushrods instead of fishing line and rubber bands to operate the control surfaces.

Do you have any advice for how to deal with this problem? Is it possible to install pushrods? More realistically, is it possible to rig up some kind of brace that would hold the v-tail in the proper orientation while using two rubber bands for increased tension on the control surfaces?

Matt
Old 01-04-2004, 06:52 PM
DFalpha

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Matt,

Personnaly I have never had a problem with this and dont quite understand whats going on... where is the rubberband going after it is hooked around the control horns? Is one hanging to loose... you may need to ajust the thumb dials where the fishing line wraps around... as far as installing pushrods I would say probably not........altough you might be able to find thin enough rods to fit through the holes on the servo arm and possibly cut a hole through the back off the cabin... but that is probably too risky.. If you can eplain the probakem more thoroughly I can probably answer...
Old 01-04-2004, 08:22 PM
shams42

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Okay, let me try to clarify the situation:

The rubber band connects to the underside of a control horn, is threaded between the fuselage tube and the v-tail, and attaches to the other control horn. The tension of this rubber band pulls the control surfaces downward when the servos release tension on the control lines. The problem that I seem to be stuck with is that this rubber band does not reliably provide enough tension to cause both surfaces to deflect downward evenly. Sometimes one surface moves further downward than the other. Sometimes one surface does not deflect downward at all. When this happens, I pull the rubber band toward the opposite side, producing more tension on the surface that does not move. I use the spools to trim the contol surfaces so that they are level with the rest of the tail assembly. More adjustment would only serve to get the model out of trim.

In other words, when you leave the stick centered, everything is fine. The control surfaces rest parallel to the rest of the tail, as they should. The surfaces don't move down together. I've been through three tails with this plane, and this problem has surfaced with all of them.

I hope this is clear. This is a case where pictures would be worth thousands of words. Unfortunately, I do not have an Aerobird here to photograph.

The effect this has in flight is unpredictable. Usually, the plane will respond to yaw commands more readily in one direction than the other, due to the surfaces not deflecting evenly. Also, when down elevator is applied, the plane yaws because one elevator is moving more than the other.

I have tried to remedy this situation by increasing the tension on the underside of the control surfaces by adding a second rubber band. This has the desired effect of producing a predictable downward deflection in both ruddervators, but it has one unfortunate side effect -- the added tension flattens out of the v-tail. The ~45 degree angle of the tail is maintained by the plastic retainer piece that fits into the top of the v-tail and is screwed to the bottom of the fuselage tube. The retainer has six tabs that fit into six holes in the tail. When the extra rubber band is added, the additional pull elongates these holes, allowing the v-tail to open wider, reducing the vertical aspect of the stabilizer.

The result of flying with this flattened tail surface is that the plane is unstable in flight. You must fight the controls to keep the plane level, because the slightest air disturbance will cause the plane to roll 90 degrees over onto its side in flight. It is impossible to make the plane go where you want it to go... instead, you work furiously just to keep the plane from hitting the ground or a tree.

I hope this has cleared things up.

Matt
Old 01-04-2004, 08:29 PM
shams42

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I made some quick sketches in paint to illustrate what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45154.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	87771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31739.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	87772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm21966.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	87773  
Old 01-05-2004, 07:03 PM
kevjud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The problem I have is it doesn't seem to make any difference when I adjust the screws for the tail. If I loosen the screws, the tail just moves up and down. Is there supposed to be something to keep upward tension on the tail? The rubberband perhaps? I didn't notice the exact location of the rubber band before the crash. It seems like there should be something that pushes up on the tail so you can move the screws up and down to change the angle of the tail? Maybe I am missing something.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:19 PM
DFalpha

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ahh Matt I gotcha.. ya mine had the same problem when I replaced the aerobatic tail with the regular one? with the aerobatic tail I dont have this problem..
Old 01-06-2004, 08:11 PM
shams42

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've had this problem with all three x-pack tails that I've tried.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:38 PM
DFalpha

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

u here?
Old 01-06-2004, 08:39 PM
DFalpha

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am still nnnot sure what ur problem is............ I didnt have enough tentio n with origianal tail
Old 01-06-2004, 08:41 PM
DFalpha

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

maybe you you shouldmove the rubber band to the outermost bracket hole
Old 01-09-2004, 07:01 PM
kevjud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think my problem is I don't know how to position the tail. As soon as I launch the plane, it climbs at a very steep rate and then stalls, like I have full elevator. I believe I need to lower the back of the tail, I will try that tomorrow. What is a good starting point when you put on a new tail? Should the front of the tail be higher than the rear? Any advice from you veteran Aerobird pilots would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Ken-Ohki

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a ABC, I love it

perhaps try 2 seperate ruber bands, 1 per side, that way, tention side to side would be less of a issue. I do not have this problem with mine , I did just replace the stock tail with the so called Xpack tail, but was very dissapointed to find the xpaxk tail identical to teh stock tail , same control surface dimenions, only differnce i could find is a slight shape difference on the leading edge up near teh tip. Very dissapointing. I wonder if i got riped off, or if everyone is getting riped off. Ow well, it was only 29 bucks, and came with a 7 cell pack, so it was financialy worth it, I just get pissed when I dont get what I think I am getting.I havent flown the new tail yet, but it tests on the bentch and seems to be working properly.

on the secondairy subject here, Tail positioning. I am myself curiouse if I repositioned the tail at the right angle or not. But, It isnt that big of a deal to adjust, if its climbing and stalling,tighten the rear, losen the front. if its diving, tighten teh front, losenthe back, it really is a minute adjustment, 2 tries and it was perfect when i adjusted it from stock settings.

Soon as this Dam cold goes away im itching to try the new tail, I set it up on the low holes for max throw, should be interesting in pro mode heehehe.

laters
Ken-Ohki
Old 01-09-2004, 08:30 PM
shams42

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You are correct that the x-pack tail is identical to the stock tail on the Aerobird challenger. The older Aerobird (pre-Challenger) had a different tail with smaller control surfaces. For that plane, the x-pack was a performance upgrade. For the challenger, the x-pack tail is a spare part. Just hold to the old tail if it's undamaged -- you'll need it sooner or later. Moving the control line to the lowest position will give you some additional control authorty. The 7-cell battery is also very nice.

I like your idea about seperate rubber bands. How would you anchor them to the boom? If you just put them on like the normal configuration, there wouldn't be enough tension. Maybe smaller rubber bands would do the trick.

Matt
Old 01-09-2004, 08:37 PM
shams42

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kevjud

I think my problem is I don't know how to position the tail. As soon as I launch the plane, it climbs at a very steep rate and then stalls, like I have full elevator. I believe I need to lower the back of the tail, I will try that tomorrow. What is a good starting point when you put on a new tail? Should the front of the tail be higher than the rear? Any advice from you veteran Aerobird pilots would be much appreciated! Thanks.
I found this to be the case with my ABC also. I would tighten the rear screw snug and loosen the front by 1-1.5 turns. Make sure that the screw is set deeply enough to hold the tail on when you loosen a screw. This will raise the front of the tail relative to the back and give you a reduced climb angle.

You can always make a trim adjustment to make the plane fly level. If you have to add too much trim, you could reduce control authority in that direction since the servo is already significantly moved toward its endpoint. If this is the case, you can use the contol line spools to adjust the nominal position of the control surfaces so that you can fly without using much trim.

Good luck!

Matt
Old 01-09-2004, 11:59 PM
Ken-Ohki

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well, I would vote for 2 smaller rubber bands, and use the front tail screw for the mount. either that, or use the old standart repair material, packing tape, to mount the rubbers to the boom.

Ken-Ohki
Old 01-10-2004, 12:13 AM
john 8750

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hint----

Get a Slow Stick and start flying like a real plane flies.

Just had to, and only kiddin, have fun.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:19 AM
kevjud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try. As far as the Slow Stick, I have read so many good things about it in this forum, it will probably be my next plane. I would like to get several "crashes" past me with the Aerobird before I buy another plane. That way I won't be so hard on a new one.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:31 PM
shams42

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I put about 30 flights on my Aerobird, got comfortable with it, and then went to a Dandy sport. I haven't had too much trouble learning to fly it on my own, especially now that I've got the bugs worked out! I flew for 20 minutes today and had a blast flying inverted, outside loops, inside loops, barrel rolls, touch and gos... awesome!

I have finally figured out the right prop to use and it has opened up a new world.

Anyway, I'm trying to get my father flying on my old aerobird. That's why I'm trying to get everything straightened out with it.

Matt
Old 01-10-2004, 09:07 PM
DFalpha

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I love my aerobird what should my next plane be (preffrebly not a slow flyer)
Old 01-11-2004, 07:20 AM
kevjud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I tried to fly again today, but still not much control, very unstable flight. I ensured the control surfaces were trimmed so that they are level with the rest of the surfaces, ( transmitter on of course). Adjusting the tail screws didn't seem to make much difference. I verified that the tail boom did not unsnap out of the fuselage. The tail has been repaired with packing tape after the last crash. I did notice that the tail pieces are not at a 90 degree angle to each other. The angle is much greater than that. I'm thinking this may be causing the problem? What do you think? Both of my local hobby shops have the new tails on back order so I won't be able to replace it until they come in. I think I will wait to fly again until I can get a new tail, I don't want the poor bird to take anymore needless beatings!
Old 01-11-2004, 10:13 AM
shams42

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If the v-tail gets opened up too wide, the plane will be extremely hard to control in the air. You'll be working overtime just to keep from crashing!

Matt
Old 01-11-2004, 02:17 PM
DFalpha

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hoo da thunk it............ picked up a Great planes yardstick today
Old 01-11-2004, 07:01 PM
kevjud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Give us some reports after you fly it. I like the looks of that plane.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Solcat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought an Aerobird. First time out I lost in the wind. It left the park I was in. I wandered near the closest houses turning the engine on and off and found it up a tree. I asked the owner to let me in his back yard and fished it out. Second time I did fine. I also bought a couple of second hand sky scooter pro's with radio that I have not tried yet. I also bought a ready to fly zagi with a new 5 channel FM radio. that has not arrived. I am going to just fly from now on. I admit that there is so much great stuff out there. But I don't want to get too far ahead of my self. The Zagi is probably too advanced for me, but it will be able to handle wind better. I bought one of thoses keyfinders to attach to whatever plane I am flying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service