Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

plane questions

Old 01-04-2004, 09:41 PM
firefighter68
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default plane questions

i just purchased a mini piper and i put it all together and the rudder looks like it isnt moving as much i would have thought it would how far does the rudder move
Old 01-04-2004, 10:14 PM
firefighter68
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: plane questions

tdy
Old 01-05-2004, 08:22 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: plane questions

What you should be looking for in the instructions is "rudder throw." This is a measurement that will tell you how far the rudder is supposed to move. You measure throw at the widest portion of the rudder. There should also be a measurement for elevator throw. It may be in degrees, or it may be in inches/mm.

The measurements don't have to be perfect. If you have a relatively steady hand, you can usually just hold a ruler up to the widest portion of the control surface, and run it to the maximum in each direction with the transmitter stick to get a rough idea of how much throw you have. You may want to set the ruler up on blocks, or clamp it in a convenient position to make your measurements. The plane should be taped/sandbagged in place so it doesn't move around.

If you find that you don't have enough throw, you can increase it by moving the control horn further out on the servo arm, and/or further in on the control surface horn. For too much throw, do the opposite.

First-timers often have a problem with pushrods binding, causing inadequate control throw. It's really difficult to diagnose pushrod binding problems without being there, but here are some pointers: Make sure that when you move the surfaces around, they center fairly well, and the servo doesn't buzz just sitting there. Unhooked from the servo, you should be able to make the surfaces move easily by pushing/pulling the pushrod by hand. On a plane like the mini-Piper, it should take virtually no effort to move the control surfaces. The most common cause of pushrod binding is trying to make the pushrod go around too many corners, making to flex too much. Ideally, you want a straight shot from the servo to the control horn.