Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

I'm New

Old 01-13-2004, 08:59 PM
smartsnake

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I'm New

Hello

I just joinded this website and I have also just gotten into the RC Airplane hobby. I was wondering if the Megatech Airstrike is a good beginner aircraft to learn on? I came into the hobby when I was playing with my uncles little Megatech XE Diversion which couldnt do much but it was enough to get me hooked. I obviously wanted more function and this looked like the best one. Agree or disagree?
Old 01-13-2004, 10:52 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: I'm New

Welcome aboard, SmartSnake.

This is a wonderful website. You can search the forums for that plane, and you can search the beginner forum for information. I think you'll find a gold mine of information.

After you've done that, you might rephrase your question. As in, you're looking for (low cost, or long flight times, or extra power, or easy flying characteristics, etc.)

My suggestion would be to start with an RC flight simulator. Get one with a selection of both electric and glow power planes. You'll find there are differences. Either way, the flight sim will get you past several of the learning issues, and when it crashes the sim just resets.

Just my 2 cents worth! Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 01-14-2004, 07:56 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Megatech Airstrike looks the business, but it's much too heavy for its size. You would be doing yourself a big favor if you passed on this plane.

Check out some of the threads in the Electric Training forum for ideas, especially the one on "Good First Planes" at the top of the forum.

I'm moving this thread over there.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:26 PM
smartsnake

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I already bought the Airstrike and waiting for it to get here. It just looked like a good strong airplane and it was good with my budget and all that. I think I should be pleased I actually have flown a reall airplane a couple times so the general concepts of flight are already good with me haha. Plus I have a massive open feild that is mine and is in the middle of nowhere so good learning area. This airplane just looked like it would allow me to have fun once I became more talented. By the way Matt where in NY do you live?? in the Western NY right on the PA border south of Buffalo
Old 01-15-2004, 07:56 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, if you decide to continue with this airplane, I wish you well. Most people have had very bad luck with this one. While I hate referring people to other forum sites for information, there has been quite a bit of discussion about these planes at rcgroups.com over the years. Search for "Air Strike," "Airstrike," or "Capitol Flyer."

I'm in Rochester, almost due north of you. Many of the roommates I had in college went to Wellsville. Spent four years in Alfred...
Old 01-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Mastermind4274

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought the airstrike, it only flew once. All of the other times it would go directly into the ground. It is definetly too heavy, I hope you have better luck with it. Oh, and I ended up throwing it out, it was so bad.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Mikerjf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Airstrike flies Ok, but it's a lousy beginners plane. Keep it moving fast and don't push the climbs or it'll fall out of the sky. It's underpowered and heavy. Want to buy a spare? Mines been packed away for about 2 years it could use a new home.

Mike
Old 01-15-2004, 08:32 PM
smartsnake

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow I really hope I dont regret spending all that money on this plane. All that I had read made it sound really good. Geez well heres hoping I guess. I wonder if hobbytron.com has a good return policy?? Then again I may get lucky. I hope....
Old 01-16-2004, 12:08 AM
Alliot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Smartsnake, you got the wrong plane. I do not mean to offend you but the plane is unflyable. The wing is not strong enough to keep the airplane in the air. Mine was broken on its maiden flight when I banked the plane to the left. Also, the plane is quite heavy and underpowered like other folks said. If you want to upgrade it, replace the stock radio by a cheap two-channel radio and put a COX 0.49 ENGINE on the nose. This is what I did and the plane flies OK.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:46 AM
Mikerjf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Welcome to the world of RC advertising. Like I said the Airstrike flies OK, if you've got it and can't return it fly it. Its got to be kept fairly fast so you have to react fast. Keep the climbs gentle so it doesn't slow down too much and you should be OK. I flew mine quite a bit and didn't have a lot of problems with it. I put it away because you can't do much with it other than fly in circles.

Mike
Old 01-17-2004, 11:10 AM
Tweener

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey SmartSnake. I also am fairly new to RC aircraft. I bought the Capitol Flyer RTF (from what I can gather it seems to be identical to the Airstrike except for the decals). I have to say that it flies like a scale Cessna type aircraft in that you can't climb out at 90 degrees ( 30 degrees is about right )at full power. Before you charge that battery and fire it up the first time go here: http://www.ezonemag.com/pages/efaq.htm and read up on motor break-in. I wish I had, I'd probably have had more power to work with. You'll have to dis-assemble the front end to get the motor out, because it's supposed to be run without load. I also recently changed out the radio equipment with a Hitec receiver and servos (72MHz FM). My main problem was getting shot-down by interference. The aircraft comes with a 27MHz AM system (a frequency range alloted to CB radio, air AND surface RC), and that's just not real good for populated areas. I kept the radio equipment for possible use in a helium airship.

Oops! Just editing this post to inform you that Capitol Flyer and Skyliner are virtually the same, not Airstrike. However the electric motor advice is still viable.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:09 AM
BGR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just looked at a picture of the Airstrike and it looks like the wings are a little short. Maybe this is why it needs to maintain some speed to keep it flying.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:31 PM
golfdad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a megatech airstrike. I haven't had any problems with mine. I don't think you should buy this plane. It's not a good first airplane. Hard to find parts for also. I must say when it crashes it is durable. Read some of the other commits and make your decission
Old 02-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Schmernst
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Crap! I have one of those airstrikes coming in the mail too... wish i would have read this earlier.
bought it from ebay... think i could get someone to buy it?

-scott
Old 02-08-2004, 04:10 AM
foreverNight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

so how did iy fly for you?