Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Correct GWS Flight Pack for Slow Stick?

Old 01-17-2004, 05:25 PM
SteveVag

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Correct GWS Flight Pack for Slow Stick?

Hi All,

I Just bought a Slow Stick ARF package. It will be my second electric, the first being my T-IFO.

My Slow Stick package is labeled EPS300C, Other packages mentioned are the EPS100C and the EDP400C. Do these different model numbers relate to different power trains that the SS comes with? If so, I'd guess mine is in the middle as far as power?

I was thinking of ordering a GWS flight pack for my model, rather than pulling stuff off my T-IFO. Is the GWS2085 MINI FLT PK (FUT/HRC) the right one for my SS package and my Hitec Neon TX? It contains:
:
2 Mini Standard Servos
1 R4N 4 Channel Receiver
1 ICS100 ESC
1 400mAh, 6 cell battery

I was wondering, would the ICS100 ESC and 400mAh battery would be right for the power train that came with my Slow Stick? Also, I have two 2-cell 950mAh 7.4volt Lithium Ion Polymer batteries I bought for my T-IFO. Can I use them on my Slow Stick?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Steve
Newton MA
Old 01-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Correct GWS Flight Pack for Slow Stick?

It sounds like the right pack. If you go on the Horizonhobby.com website, they list the flight packs. IIRC, they have a pack specifically labeled "Slow Stick Flight Pack" or similar.

There are better batteries, but the stock pack should do fine for now. Just check out some other Slow Stick threads for more battery recommendations.

Your Lithium ION packs probably won't work, even if you connected them together in parallel. Lithium packs have very limited current delivery capability. An IFO only draws about 2 Amps at full throttle, which is about the limit on Lithium ION packs. A Slow Stick will draw close to 8 Amps at full throttle.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:42 PM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I really think you would be happier with a 7-cell pack (7-cell KAN 650's/1050's?). The ESC can probably cut it (5A/8A) since apparently GWS ESC's are under-rated - but don't over prop it!

Cheers, Phil
Old 01-20-2004, 08:31 AM
Matt Kirsch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Of course, one step at a time. The 6-cell 400mAh pack will get the plane flying, and it's easy to get (because it comes with the flight pack). Optional packs from third-party vendors will make the plane perform better, but it's often difficult for a newbie to electrics to source these because they generally don't know what all the numbers mean.

I'll stick my neck out and recommend a battery vendor: Cheap Battery Packs. You can go on their website, (BIG hint: take the company name and put a ".com" after it) and order a custom battery pack at a very reasonable price.

A 7 or 8-cell pack of their CBP650 cells is nice and light, gives the plane unbelievable power, and won't cost you a mint. Just keep the prop size down, a 10x8 at the largest, 9x7 is preferred for 8-cell packs.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:30 PM
SteveVag

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for the info and advice,guys.

just got back from emergency gall bladder surgery, so temporeraly grounded until the intense pain subsides in shoulder muscles, due to co2 injected in belly to separate organs. lapescopic surgery for gbladder removal painless my ass. traditional zipper approach doesn't need pumping abdomen up with co2, i think.

question how can one tell how much current a particular motor and prop at full throttle will draw from a particular battery pack, and what is max current an esc is rated to handle?

steve
Old 01-20-2004, 07:32 PM
darrell_f
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I highly recommend that you start with a 8 cell pack. I started with a 7 cell AAA pack and it didn't have enough to turn the 1260 props that came with my slow stick. I moved to 8 cell AA (the 650 in post above) and it was a big improvement. With that you'll need a higher rated ESC, but I can't imagine that you'll be very satisfied with the power or flight time that you'll get out of a 6 cell pack. You can add cells to the 6 pack to make a 8 cell. Just avoid the AAA cells, they drop voltage very quickly under load.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:40 AM
Matt Kirsch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, the max current of the ESC is an easy one to answer: The manufacturer specifies the maximum continuous current. Now, this data may not be obvious. It may not be written on the ESC, or even in the instructions. You may have to go to the manufacturer's website, or a vendor site, for the information. You can also ask on a forum site like this one. Somewhere someone has already done the legwork, and is more than happy to share the results.

The only true way to tell how much current a motor/prop combination will draw is by measuring. There are calculation programs, both online (p-calc at http://www.flydma.com) and standalone (Motocalc, Electricalc), but they only give you a rough idea of what the motor will do under ideal conditions. Usually, this information is enough, but sometimes you want to know what the motor is doing in "real life." AstroFlight's Whattmeter is a tool specifically designed for R/C electric flight. It measures Amps, and Volts, then calculates Watts and mAh. You can also use an ammeter, if you can find one that's heavy-duty enough in combination with a voltmeter, then do the calculations manually.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:08 PM
SteveVag

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Guys,

for the help with battery packs for the slow stick, and for finding the rated current for the esc.

Looks like I have to buy all new elecronics for my ss, and was advised I should skip the GWS flight packs and buy higher quality components seperately, so I can use the stuff in future electric aircraft of this class. I may hold off for the moment on buying the stuff until I finish building it, so I can get over the shock of all the unexpected expenses. I've expecting a Carbon Falcon flying wing to be delivered soon, and I can use most of the stuff from my T-IFO on it, without the need for much more spending.

Steve
Old 01-27-2004, 08:31 AM
Matt Kirsch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bah! There's nothing wrong with the GWS flight pack.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:00 AM
Foxtrot_019

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have used up to a 7v 1100mah pack. Now that's good fun!!!!
Old 02-07-2004, 10:57 AM
SteveVag

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry Guys,

about the delay in getting back to this thread. My hard drive crashed and my system has been in the repair shop for a week![>:]

Thanks for all the suggestions. Maybe I will order a GWS flight pack for my SStick, based on your recommendations, as I want to keep my costs down. Guess I'll need new batteries and charger as well, as my LiPos have a 4amp max discharge rate.

Anyone know of a sturdy indoor electric trainer ARF that will draw less than 4amps in flight?

SteveVag
Old 02-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Dr Kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://www.flyifo.com/

Cheers, Phil
Old 02-07-2004, 05:19 PM
SteveVag

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Phil,

for confirming my original choice of the T-IFO. I bought it a couple of months ago and built it. I'm just starting to fly it at a local park, whenever the wind subsides enough. Which in a New England winter is not very often. I wasn't sure there would be enough room at my daughter's school gym for flying it. But maybe once I get better skilled at flying it outside I'll be able to fly it indoors with no problem. After all, IFO stands for Indoor Flying Object, right?

I also have the Carbon Falcon, which seems to tolerate the wind better than the T-IFO. However, the CF is faster and I think my piloting skills are not strong enough to handle it indoors.

Steve