Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Fighterbird or Commander for 11YO?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Fighterbird or Commander for 11YO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 03:51 PM
slgilley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fighterbird or Commander for 11YO?

My son and I both have Firebird Outlaws. I'm reasonably confident that I can buy
and fly an Aerobird Challenger, but I'm wondering if the Fighterbird is a reasonable
second plane for my son, who is 11.

HobbyZone lists the Fighterbird as a plane for "more experienced" pilots, but says that
anyone who can fly one of their other planes should be okay. I'm guessing that it's the
extra responsiveness that causes them to give the plane that rating.

He's really into the dog-fighting aspect of the plane, which is why I was aiming at the
Fighterbird, but I could buy one of the others with the X-Port and simply buy the
sonic module as well.

Sean.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:23 PM
U2Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fighterbird or Commander for 11YO?

I think the "more experienced" part comes in because the Fighterbird is a little bigger and faster than the Outlaw (or the original Firebird, for that matter). Plus you've got the whole dogfighting thing, which is a bit harder than it looks. Then you've got to have the ability to safely land the thing, or at least control it, with no power after a "hit".
But as far as just flying the thing around, it isn't really much harder than the Outlaw. Just needs a bigger field because of the extra speed. If HE thinks he's ready for it, he most likely is.

Steve