Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Left turn motor, right turn motor..

Old 01-19-2004, 11:29 PM
raddboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Left turn motor, right turn motor..

Looking to pick up a brushed Speed 400 class motor, but don't know whether to pickup a left turn or right turn. Also, is left turn = counterclockwise, right turn = clockwise. I realize that you can simply swap the wires to reverse the motor, but I believe that the timing is an issue too, no? Hate to bother you guys with a Newbie question, but I gots to know!

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2004, 08:16 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Left turn motor, right turn motor..

If you feel guilty about asking questions, then you came to the wrong place Ask away!

"Left turn" and "right turn" are not the usual terms used in my experience. "Forward" and "reverse" are the most common, with forward often being omitted. Motors whose directions are not specified are either neutral timed or are timed for forward rotation. Whether the motor turns left or right depends on your point of view... Are you in the pilot's seat, or are you in front of the plane?

Viewed from the pilot's seat, normal prop rotation is clockwise. I guess that would be "right?" I have to believe that they are viewing this from the pilot's seat...

Anyway, you would use a right-turn motor for direct drive on the nose, "inner driven" gearboxes on the nose, or "planetary" gearboxes on the nose. Left turn motors would be used on the tail in the same situations.

Left turn motors would also be used in conventional gearboxes on the nose, and right turn motors would be used in the same gearboxes on the tail. I'm trying to cover all the bases here.

Motors timed for a given rotation will perform a bit better in that direction than a "neutral timed" motor, and will perform poorly if you reverse them.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:48 AM
raddboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the reply Matt. Actually, I've done a lot of studying on these forums and have not seen the forward/reverse terms, only left turn/right turn. Anyway, I was looking at the Graupner website and it doesn't state which directions their motors turn, except for some motors that are listed as left. Here's a description.
"Motor adjusted specially for left-hand rotation; ideal for models with pusher propellers and 6 to 8 NC cells. "
Yep, I've got a pusher and staring at the nose of the motor(not pilot seat) it turns to the right/clockwise so I'm confused. I'm just trying to get a feel for which direction a "standard" motor turns. While staring at the front of the plane(regular plane, not pusher) do they rotate counter-clockwise or clockwise? Based upon your description above, it sounds like they turn counter-clockwise if looking at them from the front of the plane.
Hey, thanks for all your help....
Old 01-20-2004, 09:46 AM
ScYcS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looking from behind the prop (behind the model), in a pusher configuration, the shaft should turn clockwise or "right turned". I'm not sure why they call it "left hand rotation". Maybe because it's going from the right hand towards the left hand, so it rotates towards the left hand.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:35 AM
ScYcS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Actually thinking about it, it makes sense.

When you look at the two kinds of motors (left turning and right turning), then hold them both with the propeller towards your face. One will turn left, the other one right. However, since you turn the one that's turning left around to mount it in the back (you turn the motor 180 degrees), it is turning right as well. It's not really the rotation of the motor that changes, it's the ORIENTATION of the motor. So basically the left hand motor is turning left, but you reversed the orietation of it by 180 degrees, so it will turn the propeller to the right side, clockwise.