Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Terrible landings

Old 01-30-2004, 11:52 PM
NMPhi767

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terrible landings

I have an E-Starter and it flys great. However my landings are total crap. Maybe that is a little farfetched, I can land the thing but I can't seem to grease the landings consistently. Sometimes my landings are pretty rough and I know the only reason the plane holds together is because it is foam. I am worried that I would break a balsa plane into a million pieces with some of the rougher landings that I have experienced with the E-starter. Does anyone have any good tips about greasing the landing on a parkflyer?
Old 01-31-2004, 01:22 AM

Default RE: Terrible landings

Keep some throttle on for the whole landing. Unless you have removed your landing gear of course, then shut down just as the plane hits the ground. I used to keep about 4 clicks worth of throttle on my E-Starter.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:50 AM
lavawing

I thought that's why we're flying foam park flyers: To get the practice it takes to fly and land consistently. I have personally saved the lives of several decent sized balsa trees in just the two weeks I've been "flying".

Foam is cool!
Old 02-02-2004, 07:57 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Yep, there's only one remedy for bad landings: Practice, practice, and more practice!

The key to landing well is being comfortable with flying close to the ground. People tend to get nervous and twitchy when the plane gets close to the ground. They're afraid of crashing. If you keep your wits about you and continue to fly the plane, YOU WON'T CRASH. :O

Spend a few flights just flying lower and lower, closer to the ground each time. All landing is, is flying lower and lower until the wheels touch the ground.

If you find your plane dropping to the ground suddenly, you got too slow. It went "plowing" in, you say? Too fast! Use throttle to regulate speed.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:08 PM
crashingagain

With my e-starter I found myself overcontrolling the elevator towards the end of the landing so I would click the elevator up trim a few notches on aproach and throttle back almost to off and she'd just float in perfectly.