Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

slow stick questions

Old 02-01-2004, 06:18 PM
ccchris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default slow stick questions

It is built but I have a couple of questions.
1) I have the 300 motor, is the GWS gs100 5 amps speed controller right for this motor? Hobby store said it was ok but some reading has me confused, do I need more capacity? I have a 7 cell 8.4 800mah nimh battery.

2) The horizontal tail is not horizontal to the wing, would shimming it on one side to get the right angle suffice? I have glued it all in place.

and if it matters I am using standard servos and reciever that was from another project that I was not qualified to fly and destroyed, the idea is to learn on the ss and rebuild the other when I am ready.
thanks
Old 02-01-2004, 11:07 PM
zagibond

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: slow stick questions

Depending on your prop, I would say that your ESC is a bit small.
As long as the tail does not interfere with the rudder you should be OK, although perpendicular would be better.
Weight is really not a big issue, enjoy
Old 02-02-2004, 07:48 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The GWS ICS100 speed control is a little underrated. It'll take 8 Amps even though it's only rated for 5. The EPS300C drive can draw up to 8 Amps, but you won't be flying at full throttle most of the time anyway.

Proper alignment will make the plane fly better. Do what it takes to get things straightened out. As a newbie, you don't need anything working against you on your first flights.

Don't let zagibond's resposne confuse you. Weight IS important. It's just that the Slow Stick can carry a few extra ounces without it adversely affecting the way the plane flies.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:39 PM
sierra gold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On the SS the horiz. stab is glued/screwed to the bottom of the rectangular aluminum fuse stick. It should be difficult to not get it flat and horiz. to the fuse. (More glue on one side than the other?)

When you are sighting down the wing and looking back to the stab and seeing a difference, are you sure the wing is centered on the wing supports? It would be much easier to have the wing out of allignment, given its adjustability.

Sierra Gold
Old 02-05-2004, 09:38 PM
ccchris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the advice, I have found the problem with stabilizer is the rudder mounti s pushing the one side downward. I have rectified that problem.
The next is too get it in the air when the weather co-operates.

Cheers
Old 02-21-2004, 11:29 AM
ccchris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I made necessary changes to rudder etc. Replaced standard servos this week with GWS Naro sized ones.
First flight had some problems. Plane lifted off the ground right away but would not climb, seemed to be tail heavy although I found CG per the instructions. After I ajusted the elevator to compensate I was flying (?) 40 feet at a time, the plane was always trying to turn left. Prop finally broke after running the plane into the ground several times. Any reasons for the left turns when everything appears to be lined up. I will be out on the next calm day to try again.
thanks
Old 02-22-2004, 10:30 PM
ccchris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: SS crash

Todays flight was going great until a nose dive straight into the ground. Shaft that prop mounts to is bent, I have straightened as best I could. Still alittle wobbley, will this do damage to engine or gears etc? Is there a replacement shaft available?
Should the SS be able to climb at half throttle? Does not want to unless closer to full power, my CG is still not prefect so not sure if that is hindering flight.
Any help is appreciated.[X(]
Old 02-23-2004, 01:41 AM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: SS crash

You may want to check out the Ultimate Slow Stick thread at www.rcgroups.com. It is a rather gigantic thread--in three parts at that--and will likely tell you more than you wanted to know. You'll find it in the beginners training area. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll get the link.

As far as parts, I know they are available. I don't exactly know what you need but look in motor accesories at www.backyardflying.com.

Haven't shopped here myself, yet.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:27 PM
Dopesick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

The GWS ICS100 speed control is a little underrated. It'll take 8 Amps even though it's only rated for 5. The EPS300C drive can draw up to 8 Amps, but you won't be flying at full throttle most of the time anyway.

Proper alignment will make the plane fly better. Do what it takes to get things straightened out. As a newbie, you don't need anything working against you on your first flights.

Don't let zagibond's resposne confuse you. Weight IS important. It's just that the Slow Stick can carry a few extra ounces without it adversely affecting the way the plane flies.

The GWS ICS-100 will work fine in a slowstick under 21oz. provided your not too crazy with motors or props. I would say IF you change props a 1080 or 1180 would be the only options with that ESC. I've been flying mine as listed in my profile, with a aiptek pen camera. And the ESC and plane are holding up fine.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:39 AM
ccchris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info.
Time Pilot I read the threads and found some useful info.
Waiting for a calm day, thought I found the proper shaft at LHS but got home to find I was given the wrong size. Going back with the bent shaft to find a match.
cheers
Old 03-01-2004, 06:19 PM
ccchris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I changed the prop to a 1260 and I am starting to get the hang of flying. Doing things beyond my skill level but the plane will loop from level flight effortlessly, I'm having a blast and have not broken anything in awhile.
Shaft still bent but does not seem to affect anything.
Cheers
Old 03-01-2004, 10:45 PM
doug6952

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just got a slow stick today. Plan on buiding it wed. night. I have an e starter only flew it a couple of times the other day and crashed many times. I fixed all the damage but I figured I would give the e starter a rest and practice on the slow stick first. From what I have read I really should have gotten the SS first.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:15 PM
ccchris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Strangest thing happened last night. Was flying fairly aggressively (having a blast) and the rudder broke apart. Where it connects to the fuselage snapped off, I had glued and reinforced with the plastic piece. I have to make another piece BUT is there another way to make this stronger or do I have to be gentler on the plane? Having too much fun doing touch and go's and loops to go easy.
thanks
Chris
Old 03-10-2004, 02:47 PM
csisfun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What aggressive? I try to do 3D with this plane with a 300 and it always ends up with broken wing tips, broken aluminium wing joiners, broken props. Touch and go? I haven't really tried that though I have tried catching the plane!!! Too much fun! Just face wind (the plane should hover horiz. with correct wind conditions) and cut throttle and catch!!!

Hahahaahah!!!

As for your rudder, if all else fails, you can cut a rudder and maybe enlarge the control surfaces for yourself. Just follow your SS rudder as a template and cut it out.

With depron, coroplast, correx or whatever it is called in your area.

Makes me wanna fly the SS... it's an addiction!!!
Old 03-11-2004, 11:03 AM
ccchris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Found some material but seems to be thicker @ 5mm. Have cut and afixed maybe alittle stronger? As far as larger control surfaces, do you enlarge only the parts that move or the whole surface?
Will fly tonight and see what happens if the weather co-operates.
thanks
Old 03-11-2004, 11:29 AM
csisfun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Only the parts that move. I haven't tried that because my SS is still young and I don't wonna teach it new tricks yet!!!

Every landing on my slow stick just noses in lol. Or crashes. Or the plane loses response to the elevator . Lol.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:50 PM
Climber23

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just bought my slow stick friday a week ago, built it on that friday and finished installing the radio on Sat. Flew it on sunday, but had the balance point set with the CG, missread the directions. It was nose heavy and on the second attempt to gain altitude it wasn't going to fly and I landed with the prop in the ground. Lesson learned.......... get the balance point right and this bird will fly. Tonight was the first evening that the wind was under 15 miles an hour so I chanced it. Their were moments when the wind was near nothing and the stick was so much fun. It was was slow enough to fly, but could climb out and do small loops. When the wind picked up you better be prepared because this thing will not move up wind, but perfect for landing........... you can just power it into the wind and down to within 5 feet of the ground.....cut power and float in. I just can't wait for the cold fronts to move out and nice weather.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Coupla things,

If your plane pulls to one side or requires a ton of rudder trim, check that the wing is not warped (one tip droops more than the other). It can be straightened with a hairdryer. Use masking tape to get it the right shape, heat it up and let it cool completely.

Other thing, you will lose control authority with the motor completely off at landings. Keep some air moving over the tail to retain control.

Finally, replace the rear wheel with a skid (just remove the wheel and bend the wire) and your landings will be SHORT. I fly in front of my house now in the cul-de-sac.

Regards.