Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

cant decide

Old 02-05-2004, 12:15 AM
aeropete

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default cant decide

I want to buy a good beginer's rtf and can't decide between two choices. The first choice is the plane on this site - http://store.yahoo.com/raidentech168/3rarecoaiwis.html which has a camera along with it. The second choice is the sky scooter pro 2 here - http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/758004.asp or http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/758004.asp

I want to be able to take the equipment from the plane after it brakes and place it on a plane that i will make out of bluecore. What would be a better deal to buy between the two planes? Can someone give me some differences between those planes? Also, the camera that they give for the first plane i am not sure of the placement in the plane. I am just not sure of what to get because the first plane has a camera with it and you can pilot while looking into an LCD of a video camera, which I have, plus the camera has many other uses. I am not sure of how worse the radio and motor equipment in the first plane are compared to the second. In the first plane the radio works 1600 feet away. How about the second plane? Is it possible if i am making a new plane to use the servos from the first plane that are origanally used for the elavator and use it for aerolions on a new made plane? Can anyone give me some facts between the two and what would be the better deal? Thanks.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: cant decide

If you want a plane with "real" equipment you can transfer to future planes, go with the Sky Scooter Pro 2.

I would be very wary of anything flight-related I got off a Yahoo store. $119.99 for a plane and video camera setup sounds too good to be true, and you know what they say about something sounding too good to be true, right? The more I look at this guy's wares, the less comfortable I feel about sending him my money. I'm sure you'd get a plane, but what I'm not so sure about is if it's flyable, let alone suitable for a beginner learning on his/her own.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:34 AM
foreverNight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the first plane your talking about is the Accipiter badius. It flies very well.. i have one. parts a very cheap to replace. as far as the the servos and reciever i dont know about them. i do know that you can probably use them in another plane.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:13 PM
slgilley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd go with the Sky Scooter -- the equipment is going to be better and is standard equipment that you can easily move to another plane. With the other, I seriously doubt any part of it will be usable in another plane.

If you're seriously considering the Accipiter Badius, then you might also consider a Hobbyzon Aerobird. Again, the parts aren't resuable, but there is a lot of support in this forum and elsewhere for the plane, and many, many, people like it quite a bit. It's also a three channel plane, and there are modifications you can do to make it even more indestructable than it is out of the box.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:07 AM
deathspiral

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a badius, great plane for 79.00 plus 10.00 for three day shipping. Complete 3 channel set-up with 380 engine, couple of wing choices and crazy-cheap spare parts. Us the poly shaped wing--the other wing is too flat for the amount of D that's put into it. Comes with everything, Tx, bat, plane, rx, speed control the works... I have flogged it too death--so I bought a ripmax coyote, and yes, transfered all the gear.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:37 PM
bmc1023

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I purchased this plane kit. Only I got the 2.4GHz camera. The camera kit works very well. And the plane....it flies too.
I have not yet flown it with the camera system installed. I want to get used to how the plane handles first.

Flight Log: 3/15/2004 9:15 P.M. CST
Plane: Accipiter Badius 380 Electric (Modified from original 3 channel radio system-Mode I)
Radio System: 6 channel Futaba Skysport 6YF-FM (Mode II)
Weather Conditions: Light wind from NE
Location: Jack Benny Middle School baseball field (Four baseball diamonds)

Arrived at field around 5:30 P.M. Made final flight control system checks. Noted wind direction. Took a deep breath, applied full throttle and tossed into wind. Yes! We have lift-off! It is a bit gusty. Attempt to make circle around field. The wind is definitely affecting flight pattern. Hard to make complete circle. Not used to flying with wind conditions present. Trying to bring plane to a lower altitude and closer to its original take off area, plane seems to be struggling, flying more like a kite. Plane getting farther away as wind carrys it. Making one last attempt to drop altitude plane disappears over distant building's roof. Panic!
Oh no, not up on a roof. Running swiftly to distant building around the other side far enough away to see rooftop...No plane! Searching frantically for missing bird. Couldn't have gone far. After some time searching the grounds, a bystander asks if I am looking for a plane. Guess the transmitter in my hand must have tipped him off. He said "I saw it dip in that direction". Ok. Thank you! Thinking, how far could this thing have gone? When I saw it drop if figured it would be just on the other side of the building. After crossing a thankfully empty parking lot I made my way to the adjacent street. (Sunset AV) There it was, just next to the sidewalk! Surprisingly still in one piece, but the right wing was injured.
Nothing else damaged. Re-set plane and checked receiver and flight controls. All working. Flight lasted approximately 1-2 minutes before touch down.

Arrived home with bird in hand. Not too bad considering first solo flight beyond a simulator.
Checked over plane thoroughly. Removed main wing. All internal parts are intact and in place. Re-checked servo, prop, & motor operation. All good...except....ah ha....flight failure has been determined...motor stops after a brief moment. The battery pack was discharged. I had charged it until warm, but not the 3 hr max time limit. The spare battery was accidentally charged overnight...way too long for NiMH battery pack. Never got to use it however. The speed controller in this plane is designed to shut down the motor when insufficient power supply is present so as to reserve remaining power for flight controls. The battery pack had insufficient power and the motor had shut down! I was flying a glider moments after take-off. Which explains why it was difficult to return the plane to its starting point.

Lesson learned: Always make sure flight packs are fully charged. Perhaps dry run them before flight to estimate running time. I ran both battery packs down until ESC shut off motor. Recharged both packs for 2-3 hrs. They get quite warm!!

Next flight scheduled for 3/16/2004 weather permitting of course!!

Happy flying!!

BMack
Old 03-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Spdrmnky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I started off with the sky scooter pro II and it was really good to me. I still use the equipment I got off the sky scooter to this day so that would come highly recomended from me. But, that camera sounds like it would be kinda cool to have too... hmmm.....