Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Please help with Rookiee flying :)

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Please help with Rookiee flying :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 12:14 PM
fiddlefly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with Rookiee flying :)

Hi Just bought first plane yesterday, went with the cheap trainer to see If I can actually do this as a hobby (wanted to all my life).. .anyways I bought the tiger shark, put it together.. my problem is of course in flying, I have no crashed the plane, need new propellers and new cockpit door... but my question is

Both times it crashed it was becuase as it left my hand and climbed it turned left and I couldnt get it to run right to go straight... what is the reason for this? how do I control this?

any advice would be appreciated .
Old 09-27-2004, 04:58 PM
lwien

Default RE: Please help with Rookiee flying :)

Read your instructions that came with the plane and read the part about how to trim...........It should answer your question.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:00 PM
fiddlefly

unfortunately with this type of plane there is no trimming.. at least not according to the book or the place I bought it from....
Old 09-27-2004, 07:46 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Thats a load of BS. Can't be trimmed? ANY plane can be trimmed. It's whether or not the trim is effective that's the question.

What is this "tiger shark" plane you bought? Do you have pictures or a link to a website? We've gotta see what we're dealing with.

Are there sliders next to the control sticks on the transmitter? Those are trim tabs. For the left-right one, you slide it right if the plane goes left.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:40 PM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

See if the rudder or ailerons if it has them turn both left and right from the neutral position. If not you need more control throw or movement in them or if it goes far left and not right then the control rods need adjusting.
If you do have good movement both ways then maybe putting some right thrust in the motor would work.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:53 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is [link=http://hobbypeople.net/gallery/128290.asp]this[/link] the plane you mean? If so, there are no control linkages to adjust, because it is steered with differential thrust instead of movable surfaces. from looking up the manual on line, there aren't any trim sliders on the transmitter case either. The way to trim out a turn is to bend the rudder (vertical tail surface) opposite the turning direction. You say the plane is turning to the left, so carefully bend the rudder to the right slightly, launch the plane, and see if it tracks straight. If it still turns left, bend the rudder to the right a bit more, and if it now turns right, bend the rudder back left a little. Continue until the plane tracks fairly straight without turning input. Another possible cause: if the two motors aren't turning the same speed, ie the right motor is turning faster than the left, when you apply power, it could cause the problem you describe. If this is the case, there is not a lot you can easily do to correct it, and the best advice would be to try to return the plane as defective. I would advise you eliminate this possibility first and then proceed to try trimming it out as described above. I hope I've been of some help.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:27 PM
fiddlefly

Matt; thank you for your response (everyone too)... that's not the plane but you have the idea of my dilemma down, its a beginners plane so no trimming, no alerons to mess with (its foam).... so with that in mind, maybe my take off is bad..... I understand Im supposed to go full throttle while plane is in my hand and then throw it,,, is there a special way to throw it???

2. Funny you mentione the right turning faster than left, I cannot tell this by eye, but I noticed yesterday the left does not sound as powerfu... can you tell by sound?
Old 09-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Foamaholic

Yes you can tell by the sound if one motor is higher pitched than the other.
Yes use full throttle and then throw the plane.
Throw it straight out, not up. If you throw it up it might stall.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:01 PM
Hatty

After you toss it, it will drop towards the ground slightly. Just keep the plane level and don't pull back too much on the stick. Just let it settle into its proper cruiseing speed and then gradually pull back to let it rise slowly. But remember, don't pull back too much or you will stall it. Just be gentile and you will do fine. I learned to fly by myself, so at least you know it is possible. Plan out your flight before you take off and run through emergency scenarios in your head so that you can react without thinking. Need any more help, just ask. We love this stuff.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Foamaholic

Right. Let us know how it goes. I taught myself too. At first I thought I couldn't do it, but after about a dozen crashes I managed a whole flight and landing. Then I was elated. It takes practice and determination. Don't give up. You will get it. All of a sudden I went "Now I get it."
Old 09-28-2004, 09:23 PM
afineman

Hey all

I started (after 30 years of trying) flying a no control plane it was this one http://www.raidentech.com/newdesmrarec.html .

I set up the plane using no power, at first all I did was test glides, if it doesn't glide well it won't fly well.

I made all the adjustment for gliding then I powered it up. because of the motor torque it wanted to fly in a circle. because I was use to bending the rudder and elv for gliding I knew what I needed to do.

in the end this plane flew straight at 1/2 power ( all it needed to cruse), I got almost 3 hours of in air time with this plane ( over may flights ) then I lost it.

I had tuned it up so well I lost it in a strong thermal, because of the gentle circle it would do ( no motor torque) it got caught in the center of the thermal.

I watched this plane for 1 hour and 45 min circle UP and UP and UP, it was a speck in the sky, I blinked and it was gone.

SSOO what I would recommend is, do a bunch of test glides, play around with bending the rud. and elv. when you get it to the point of it gliding straight try some short bursts of power

Have FUN
Old 09-29-2004, 12:19 AM
fiddlefly

Wow. This community is really very cool community to be a part of, from people at the store here in california to you guys online, what a helpful bunch! thanks so much!

OK since you are offering to answer questions, here goes!
Ok my plane is a tiger shark so remember no elavator or rudder control its a BASIC plane...
the latest...

1. Took it to the store tonight the guy confirmed the left motor was defective !! Thats why on takeoff it was banking left and crashing!
gave me a whole new set...

2. I went flying with the new set, much better with TWO working engines!

3. BUT can someone explain to me what I do once its up??? there is no throttle control with my plane, once youre on youre on so.... as its climbing what do I do to level off? since it cant glide i have to have power full throttle the whole time, what do i do to level off? can i level off at all?.. also upon its climb it dipped down two times , is this normal ?

with the new plane set I got him up, and i felt he was high enough, but in attempting to turn came down rather quick... lost two more propellers... but at least the motors on this guy are good.. any suggestions for next flight?

THANKS!
b
Old 09-29-2004, 12:58 AM
Hatty

As a matter of fact, you do have a throttle. Based on what the instructions say, the throttle is the left stick, and the horozontal control is the right. Based on the fact that it is a 2-channel plane, someone might need to correct me. With the two channel, the way that you level off is by reducing the throttle. You reduce it enough so that you do not climb and dive. You will most likely have to constantly adjust it, along with the steering control.

Here is a step-by-step list of what you should do when you fly.
1. launch the plane by hand. Point it level to the ground and have full throttle.
2. After launch, adjust the throttle (ever so slightly) in order to have a constant climb. Make sure that it is not too steep though. That is probably the reason why the plane kept diving. You probably stalled it. Just make sure you have an aerage rate of climb.
3. When the plane is at a decent altitude, gently begin turning the plane. You dont want to hold the stick all the way to one side. Move it just enough to keep the plane at a nice turning radius. It doesn't have to be a very tight one. Just take it easy.
4. Now, you will eventually get to a point where the plane is facing you. This is when you will experience a thing called control reversal. This is when you move the steering control to the left and the plane looks like it is going right. It takes a while to get used to, but one way to help yourself is to move your body so that you are facing the direction that the plane is flying. This helps orient yourself with the controls.
5. After you have done a few circles and feel comforatable, get the plane to a good height above the ground and lower the throttle. In doing this, you will get an idea how the plane will handle during landing. Do this a couple of times before you try to land.
6. Make sure that you land well before the battery runs out. This will give you more chances to try if you happen to miss the landing.
7. The landing is the most fun thing about flying. Start by flying with the wind to the side of your runway. Then make a crosswind turn and lower your throttle a little. Then turn into the wind and lower your throttle some more. If needed, you can even cut the throttle. Next, let the plane glide to the runway (make sure the plane has its nose slightly down but not a lot). Since the plane has no elevator, I don't know how to flare the plane, or if it even needs it. I am guessing the craft will just touch down nicely. Someone help me with this part.
8. Celebrate because you just made your first successful RC flight.

If you would happen to crash, dont get upset. I have crashed many times, but I am still out here flying. It will take a while beore you can be confident in your abilities.

Another tip is to download some videos of RC planes flying. This will give you an idea on how they will react in the air. Make sure that they are slow flight trainers though. Don't get your flying tips from a jet that goes 100mph.

Good luck and welcome to the best hobby in the world.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:01 AM
Hatty

Another thing, make sure you read the instructions that came with the plane. They have pretty good tips and techniques for flying the plane.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:29 AM
BuzzBomber

If, in fact, your throttle is either on or off with the left stick (not proportional) the way to control altitude is by "blipping" the throttle stick, in other words, once you climb to altitude, momentarily let go of the throttle, then apply throttle as it starts to descend. You will find a rythm of on-off throttle modulation that will let you keep the plane at the height you want. Same goes for turns--if you want to turn right, don't hold the stick over to the right, but "blip" it at a rate that gives the turn you want. Holding a turn input with this type of plane can often result in a spiral dive (not good). By the way, the dipping you refer to could possibly have been several things--the two that readily come to mind are: a small gust of wind, or radio interference. Wind you can't do much with, but avoid. Radio interference could have momentarily stopped the motors, causing the dips--on this plane, there may not be a whole lot you can do to avoid interference, but to cope with it, you may wish to keep the plane relatively low and close, to reduce the chance of a "flyaway" (when the plane essentially stops listening to radio commands and goes on merrily about its business).
Old 09-30-2004, 04:27 PM
fiddlefly

Thanks to everyone and their advice, but I only after a week of trying to fly officially Give up!.
With the new replaced Plane in hand (the store replaced my original plane because indeed the reason for banking left on takeoff was b/c one motor was defective).. I went flying yesterday with new plane in hand thinking well finally I'll be able to enjoy my new hobby.

and alas the plane crashed breaking the wing and 7th set of propellers.. this is so frustrating.
Its a $50 plane for beginners, why can't a 30 year old fly it!
upon taking off from my hand, it started to climb but climbed too high I think and stalled and nothing I could do at that point... saying as in the throttle is either on or off...

I thought this was going to be a fun hobby!

[&o]
Old 09-30-2004, 05:07 PM
Hatty

Oh it is a fun hobby. You just have to find a good airplane to teach you how you enjoy it. It seems like that plane would be a bit more difficult to fly even though it is only a 2-channel. If I were you, I would go to a local airfield and talk to someone about your plane. They will most likely offer to help you get started for free. I know the guys where I live love teaching others this hobby and this will most likely be the same where you live.

Also, flying seems to come more naturally to some. I, for example, have been in RC for about 9 years, almost half of my life, so it is like second nature to control an RC car or plane. It will just take some time and determination to get to the point where you would rather fly than sleep. IT WILL GET BETTER. Trust me. Also, try flying over grass. It doesn't tear our planes planes up as much when we crash. Concrete is unforgiving.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:16 PM
fiddlefly

Thanks Hatty.
I did fly over grass all week to no avail
Old 09-30-2004, 09:59 PM
Rat1

I say you should hang up this plane and purchase something different. Maybe a Hobby zone 2 channel or three chanel parkflyer. Examples are FirebirdII ST, Aero Bird, Outlaw ParkZone planes are Slo V or J3 Cub. For first time flyers I like to steer them toward the Hobby zone Firebird II st. It has throttle control and left and right control. elevation is controlled with throttle and yes the throttle is variable. If it climbs to fast and stalls then read the manual as it tells you to adjust the tail via the thumb screws to help keep it from stalling too quickly. Must be flown in calm weather as the wind will carry the plane away if you are nto careful.

Most of these kits can be had for 150.00 to around 80 bucks.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:17 PM
Foamaholic

GWS Slow Stick is an ideal trainer. It's so slow. Flies by itself. Has full rudder, elevator and throttle control. Can get one for $35 or less. Need a three channel radio but then the gear can be used in future planes.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:11 AM
BuzzBomber

Sadly, many of the planes out there clearly marketed for beginners actually require a knowledgable and skilled pilot. Before you quit, I would strongly suggest you seek out local flyers (either a club or informal group) and solicit their advice. Learning on your own can be done (I'm living proof) but can be much more expensive than learning with some help (again, I'm living proof). If your hobby shop is anything like mine, they may not even know they sold you something that's hard for a beginner to learn with. That's why I mentioned that you should find local flyers. If I lived about 2,500 miles further west (I'm assuming CA means you live somewhere in Cali.) I'd offer to help get you set up myself, and I'm sure someone nearby can give you some in-person help. Whatever you do, don't give up yet.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:51 AM
lwien

Hey fiddlefly, where in California do you live? Maybe I can give you a hand.

Some great suggestions here. I first learned on a Firebird Outlaw. That is also a 50 dollar plane BUT...........the throttle is variable, not just on or off.............big difference. I can't imagine trying to fly a differential thrust plane with no way to vary the throttle. It sounds like the problems that you are having has more to do with the plane than you.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:27 AM
fiddlefly

MAN if the world was as giving and nice as this RC communicty!
IWIEN. I live In San Diego. you?
guys thanks;; I will go keep talkign to the shop, the guy jokingly admitted when I first bought the plane its hard to fly.... so kind of funny guess he was right. Maybe I will look into this Firebird Outlaw... something has got to be out there I Want to do this!@
Old 10-01-2004, 01:31 PM
lwien

I live in Pasadena......

San Diego............Nice.

Being that you live in a coastal city, be careful of the wind. As a beginner, you're going to have your hands full without having to deal with any wind. Ideally, you want to fly in 0 wind. If you see flags or tree leaves moving or if you can feel a slight breeze on your face, it may be worthwhile to wait for a windless day........

Check out the following site........Just change the location at the top to San Diego...........It will give you wind conditions for every hour of the day.

http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/c...t=Get+Forecast

Zero wind is best, but at least try to keep it under 3mph.........These light planes car really get blown around a lot.

Good luck....

Cal
Old 10-01-2004, 03:07 PM
hercules

Iwien, Thanks for the cool web-site, I live in Ct. and it I was able to get a report fairly close to where I'm at. Thanks again, Eric[8D][8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.