Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Tiger Moth Setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 12:22 AM
jatoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger Moth Setup

I've got an Aerobird and now want to get the GWS Tiger Moth. I've heard that it's worth going striaight for the 4ch rather than getting 3ch now, and 4ch later. I was wondering if there was anyone who has had one before and could list ALL the things that I will need to get it flying. How many servos, what size, what type of ESC, carger & how big batteries can be (I've heard of 30mins+ flight times and that is what I really want). I have two servos from a futaba attack 2ch set (they're about 4cm x 4cm x 2cm, not including the servo horn) could I use these? Money is a big issue for me so I want to be able to shop around, knowing exactly what I need.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:00 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Tiger Moth Setup

GWS sells flight packs for their various planes that include everything you need for the plane, except transmitter, charger, and receiver crystal. Balsa Products in the USA was selling a set that included EVERYTHING but the charger for $69.99 recently. That sale may be over, and/or they may not ship overseas.

It sounds like you have standard full-size servos. Too big for the Tiger Moth; the wings won't support the weight. It's designed for GWS Pico servos, or servos of similar size. They're very tiny, less than 1cm wide, about 2cm long, and about 2cm high.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:33 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The aerobird is a faster plane than the GWS tigermoth and a better one in the wind. If your going to get a bipe for electric get the wattage ultimate or stearman bipe, there better for the wind situation. If your going to get the GWS tigermoth just get the GWS radio system for 4 ch and it shuold include everything you'll need. I have one and I'd say that it is good for a calm morning or night but N/G mid-day, too much wind it gets harry!
Old 12-21-2003, 09:14 PM
jatoo

Is there a difference to how a Biplane flies? I just want one cause it looks cool ! (and its easy to fly)
Would those servos i mentioned be too big?
I saw an ad for these would they be ok for the tiger moth?:

Saturn S54 sub micro servos
5.4 g 0.9 kg/cm. Ideal for slow flyers and applications micro servo applications. Great Price!
Old 02-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Fox 22

I had an aerobird, and I now have a tigermoth - I love it! it flies soooo much better than the aerobird, but you can't fly it any kind of wind. BUT you can fly it indoors, and you barely need any airspace to have enjoyable flights. I can fly it out of my driveway. As for the wind - I like going out to a business park nearby at night, and I just sit and fly in a parkinglot. It's great, no wind, and lots of light. Plus it's so peacefull, and relaxing. So far I have had over 30 flights, and I love it. If you do get a tigermoth, buy the GWS 350mAh pack - it flies much longer, without compromising performance.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:10 AM
jatoo

well, i am getting the tiger moth, ive got a deposit down on it (but i have to wait till my birthday). The battery im getting it 1600maH! Lithium polymer. Half our flights . should i use the glue it comes with or 30 min epoxy. also any other tips are welcome (building flying, moding etc.)