Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Help please new-b

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 08:49 AM
lift off

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please new-b

I need some help on what plane to get. I know that I do not want to get a gas powered plane. I have bought 2 Firebird outlaws both of which broke on the first day. Dad, and little bro GREATLY contributed to the crossbar snapping in the middle of the plane on both of them. The firebird outlaw has a realy bad design seeing that it is geared towards begiers.

I have limited money and experience. I need to know which plane to get: the t-hawk, the slow stick, or the mini stick.

thanks
Matt
Old 02-14-2004, 10:10 AM
Mikerjf

Default RE: Help please new-b

Easy Star
Old 02-14-2004, 10:33 AM
lift off

could you give me a link to a dealer?

Thanks
Matt
Old 02-14-2004, 10:48 AM
sierra gold

I will cast a vote for the GWS Slow Stick. It was my second plane after re-kitting a Pico Stick. The SS goes together easily, is durable, and flies well, and with an 8 cell KAN 1050 pack will handle light wind. I still fly mine after building several other planes.

That said, be aware that vitually nothing you got with your Firebirds is transferable to the SS... that I am aware of. So the bottom line cost for the SS kit, radio w/flight pack, ESC, 2 battery packs, and a charger will be $200-$250 for new stuff. But of course, all this gear would be useable with most any plane you would purchase after the SS.

If the cost of the above gear is beyond reach, the Aerobird is a 3 channel plane with proportional throttle. (My understanding is the Firebird was a throttle and rudder aircraft.) Many folks have successfully learned on it for about $160. But, it too has radio gear that is not transferable to most other planes. So, at sometime the cash will need to be spent if you stay in RC planes.

Sierra Gold
Old 02-14-2004, 01:19 PM
lift off

Sorry about putting up two posts. I did not mean to be a spamer.

Thanks for the advice sierra gold. I knew that my firebird outlaw motors and stuff would never fly again.[&o] At least I know now to do my reaserch before I buy a plane. So Sierra would a t-hawk, easy star, or slow stick be better because you can for example change a servo that is inside the fusalage insted of buying a whole new one like firebirds?

Thanks for your help,
Matt
Old 02-14-2004, 03:04 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

Take a look at going with the Slow Stick or with perhaps the GWS PICO J-3 Cub, fuselage design. I got one as my entry into industry standard radio equipment as a next plane after my Aerobird Challenger. You can get into the whole thing for $ 210.00 more or less.

The kit itself is roughly $ 50.00, and get yourself the GWS 4 channel FM R4P transmiiter bundled with 2 PICO servos, a speed controller and receiver for about $ 110.00. If you don't have a charger you'll need one, and I also suggest a bigger battery. Charger and battery pack will add another $ 50.00 or so. So for $ 210.00 you have a set up that you can transfer to another aiplane, or add more planes to as you grow into the hobby.

I went with a 780 mAh LiPoly. it cost $ 32.00. The Charger was $ 52.00. With that I' m getting flight times of about 20 - 25 minutes.

The Cub is light and won't do wind well. Other than that it's a fun little plane. You'll find yourself beefing up the landing gear. It's a foamy, and has fragile tail feathers, so if dad and brother are tough on things you'll need to keep them away.

An alternative is the Firebird Challenger. Sturdier than the Outlaw, about $ 110 ready to fly. Downside is that you're back to radio gear that only works for that plane.

And yet another solution while you save up for something else is to order a replacement fuselage for your Outlaw for about $ 26.00.

Enjoy!

BobbyG
Old 02-14-2004, 05:16 PM
Mikerjf

Be sure to watch the video

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar.htm
Old 02-14-2004, 11:10 PM
Dopesick

Again I vote for the SlowStick. I own one, have done some good modifications to mine and have made it a pretty damn good plane! People have gone as far am setting up the wing for ailerons. Which I believe is my next step for it.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:28 PM
lift off

Thanks again for all of your help. I am done with the fricken firebird outlaw... What a waste... Narrowed it down to three planes t-hawk slow stick, easy star. Definently not getting a firebird commander.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-15-2004, 07:14 PM
xanatos

lift off - I am a beginner too and my vote would be for the easystar. Very durable and repairable. That pusher prop saved by bacon many times. Have a look at a mini review I did here (its up the top) http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=1422345. Also check out hobby-horse as well for the easystar - a bit cheaper I believe http://www.hobbyhorse.com/multiplex.shtml

Good luck with your next plane whatever you choose

Regards

Ian
Old 02-15-2004, 07:37 PM
lift off

I was looking on www.horizonhobby.com and could not help but notice that the slow stick and the J-3 Stick slow flyer have almost the same set of servos ect... I would like to get both planes and eventually. I know that some people have 1 Transmiter or controler that fly more than one plane. Could I buy a transmiter that would control both planes? If so how much more would it cost?

I have made up my mind on which plane I will get first, The Slow Stick. I have done some research and found that is is a very good plane. Plus more importantly its replacement parts are very cheap and if I get tired of the plane i can transfer the radio system to another plane.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-15-2004, 09:08 PM
NMPhi767

I learned to fly on the GWS pico cub. It flys about as fast as you can jog and goes together well. Since then I have placed the gws 300 size motor in it and made some slight modifications to the wing to handle the extra speed. I can almost hover the thing and it is still one of my favorite planes to just screw around at the park with. I have also crashed it like 20 times in my quest to learn to fly and it just keeps glueing back together.

I learned to fly with ailerons on the GWS E-starter. It is an awesome plane with great stable flying characteristics. It will teach a beginner how to do many of the manuevers that a real airplane can do and as long as you keep it very high (a good rule for any beginner) it will almost fly itself and give you time to think as you fly

I recomend lithium polymer batteries with any electric model as they increase flight time and power but decrease flying weight.

Last, I initially bought JR XF631 transmiter and I love it! It is a simple 6 channel computer radio with a three model memory and I paid around 120 just for the radio. I didn't need the servos and receiver that came with the radio because I fly parkflyers and need microservos and not the monster servos that come with the radio. However, the whole radio and flight pack package is around $199. Whats nice about this radio is that I can move up to more complicated models with retracts or lights and still have enough channels to control everything. The only problem with it is that it only has a three model memory and I have found as I become a better pilot, I keep buying more aircraft and have more than the radio has memory for. If you have the money then I would recomend the JR XP6102. It has a 10 model memory but is still easy to program and a beginner can learn to use the most important functions of this radio.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:21 PM
kevjud

Mikerjf, how does the Easy Star handle wind? I currently fly an aerobird, but there are so many days that I can't fly because of wind.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:15 PM
Mikerjf

First flight on the one I got for our club to use as an e-trainer was in 10-12 mph winds on a cold day. Even with low rudder throw it handled it great. Our typical winds are 5-10, I wouldn't buddy box anybody on anything else . Check the review up in "Good First Planes"

Mike
Old 02-29-2004, 11:52 AM
neffed

I am considering getting an EasyStar as my first R/C airplane. One question: Are replacement parts (ex. wings, tail feathers etc.) easy to get? Any idea who has the best selection and prices?
Thank you.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:45 PM
EvolPenguin

look at www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar.htm they have replacement parts and everything. They sell the plane. Also look at the Graupner Mini Piper on that site, it looks really neat.

Al
Old 03-01-2004, 09:08 PM
lift off

Thanks for all of your help I am going to get a slow stick for sure! Just need to save up enough to buy one.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:50 AM
lift off

When I do get the slow stick are there any modifications that I could do right off the bat? . Better battery, ect.
By the way I have no clue what a esc is could you please help me.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:19 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

ESC is electronic speed control. It's the device that controls the "throttle" on the plane. Buy a GWS Slow Stick Flight pack, and the ESC is included.

The best battery for the Slow Stick, IMHO, is an 8-cell CBP650 pack. It's light and has enough poop to run the motor. Get them at http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:31 PM
sledge4055

add strips of packing tape to both sides of the rudder and tail wing where they get glued to the aluminum rod they seem to break easy on impact,

Another thing i did was, on my second slow stick i added a few pieces of brass tubeing over top of the aluminum pre bent tubes that the fiberglass spars slide into and soldered them together . this strengthend the wing consideraby i had a problem with the wing folding up on me coming out of a loop or steep dive this mod isnt to difficult and has alowed me to move up to an EPS- 350-c power system same as on the GWS Formosa and 9.6v 600mah nicads that slow stick aint so slow any more ..

only prob im having now is i need to throttler back going in to a turn or she tends want to say going straight mabe its time for ailerons..
Old 03-28-2004, 12:19 AM
Tucson01
My Feedback: (1)

SLOW STICK all the way!!
I was out today in 10 - 15 mph gust and had no problems

I have 3 other planes all Nitro and the Slow Stick is fast and easy setup and a blast to fly.

Batteries charged - check
Transmitter charged - check
Velcro straps - check
Rubber bands - check

Toss in the car head down the street to flying spot and have a blast!!

Check out my Slow Stick Info Post http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Slow...1646193/tm.htm
Old 03-28-2004, 02:44 AM
foxxieboy99

i would go with the light stick!!!
Old 03-28-2004, 02:52 AM
foxxieboy99

hey mat t ??? ive got a fire bird outlaw flies great whats up with yours?? sorry to hear its trashed
Old 04-02-2004, 09:43 PM
lift off

motor prod broke