Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

help me with speed... please!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

help me with speed... please!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Model_Mann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me with speed... please!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

help me, i need to know what kind of battery to use with a speed 600 electric motor, i currently have it swinging a 9x8 prop, (and am using a 7.2 volt wal-mart rc car battery[:'(],what a p.o.s. i ger like 5-10 min of run time) what should i do to get it to go really fast, it's for an all terrain air boat please help me
Old 02-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: help me with speed... please!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

If by some miracle you're getting 5-10 minutes from that combination, you're defying the laws of physics.

The propeller is WAY too large. With this prop, you must be able to roast a whole pig over the motor and battery after a run!!! Run times must be less than two minutes. If you haven't burned the motor or battery out yet, be on the lookout for a meltdown in the near future.

Direct drive on 6 or 7 cells (7.2V or 8.4V), a Speed 600 motor should have no more than an 8x4 propeller on it. 7x5 or 6x6 will give you more speed, but less acceleration. It'll take longer to get up to speed.

You should be using a "real" R/C car pack, made from Sub C NiCd or NiMH cells. Check your local hobby shop.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:49 PM
BCB

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

If by some miracle you're getting 5-10 minutes from that combination, you're defying the laws of physics.

The propeller is WAY too large. With this prop, you must be able to roast a whole pig over the motor and battery after a run!!! Run times must be less than two minutes. If you haven't burned the motor or battery out yet, be on the lookout for a meltdown in the near future.

Direct drive on 6 or 7 cells (7.2V or 8.4V), a Speed 600 motor should have no more than an 8x4 propeller on it. 7x5 or 6x6 will give you more speed, but less acceleration. It'll take longer to get up to speed.

You should be using a "real" R/C car pack, made from Sub C NiCd or NiMH cells. Check your local hobby shop.
Matt the superstar EP comes with a 600 motor and a 9x4.5 stock with direct drive. Is this a bad set up??

Brian.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:19 PM
Model_Mann

thx matt, ill try that, and believe me, the battery im using is a POS, as i said before. but currently the motor and prop that im using produce a enence amount of thrust, the air boat it's on drags it'self around my kitchen floor, do you have any other suggestions on barreries or how to create more speed[>:]
Old 02-17-2004, 08:10 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Yeah, the motor will produce an immense amount of thrust, but not for long. You're overloading the motor. Please use a smaller prop. We know what we're talking about.

For the batteries, just visit your local hobby shop and pick up a "6-cell Sub C car pack." You can get el-cheapo 1700mAh NiCd pack for less than $20, or a prem-o 3300mAh NiMH pack for about $35 or so. More mAh means longer runs.

BCB,

I wasn't aware that the Superstar EP came with a 9x4.5 prop. These planes generally fly well, and stay up for about 6 minutes on a charge. The prop might be a little big, but if you don't run at full throttle all the time, it's okay. Being a very light airplane, the Superstar EP doesn't need full throttle to stay in the air.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:29 AM
Model_Mann

ok, ill change the prop then, but when i was asking for more suggestions i wasnt trying to say that you dont know what your talking about i was just looking for more ideas of what to do, but thank you for helping me, ill do just what you said because i dont like the sounds of overloading a motor[], sounds very bad, lol