Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Solite or Coverite? Which colors easiest?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Solite or Coverite? Which colors easiest?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 12:25 AM
DanaWatson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solite or Coverite? Which colors easiest?

I am trying to choose between getting Solite covering or Coverite and need to know the best colors to work with. Thanks

Dana
Old 02-19-2004, 03:10 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Solite or Coverite? Which colors easiest?

IMHO, the best colors are the ones you like.

I don't think Coverite and Solite are even in the same class. Solite is a much lighter weight film. Coverite is somewhere in between Solite and Monokote as far as weight goes.

BTW, you've been BUSTED! I caught you double-dipping with the same questions on that "other" electric forum site
Old 02-19-2004, 05:50 PM
DanaWatson

Yeah, you caught me. But by admitting that you saw me there, doesn't that incriminate you as well, Mr. Electrifiying Moderator? Kind of like, "Hey, I saw you had your eyes open during prayer!" Oops.

Thanks for the help. I saw Coverite for sale for $4.99 and Solite for $9.99. Is it worth the difference?

Dana
Old 02-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Ernest-T
My Feedback: (7)

Solite is usually used when you are really trying to save weight, since it is one of the lightest iron on covering materials. (Small electrics, etc.) IMO Solite is more difficult to work with than Monokote or Ultracote. It tends to be very "staticy" and tries to stick to itself. It also tears very easily, and the surface you are covering needs to be very smooth to avoid an unexpected rip. I've tried the Coverite 21 Century films, and they are pretty easy to apply, but tend to wrinkle over time more so than Monokote or Ultracote (at least in my hands). I've also had problems with the adhesive not holding with the Coverite. With Solite the darker transparent colors (blue, red, etc.) seem to me to be more difficult than the opaques. I've noticed no difference in colors with other brands.

If you are in need of a light covering, but don't need the very lightest, consider Ultracote lite. Heavier, but stronger and easiest of all to work with film type covering is regular Ultracote IMO.