Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Save that Aerobird/Firebird wing!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Save that Aerobird/Firebird wing!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 02:15 AM
auto5man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Save that Aerobird/Firebird wing!!!

Hi All,

I'm including a picture of a repaired Firebird wing that had actually folded in half and also had several "bites" taken out of the wing where the propeller chewed it up during a crash. ( on hard impacts the wing shifts and the prop tears into the wing) We actually bought several new wings and then I saw several posts of those who mounted cameras on their aerobird and recorded video....I got the idea that if an aerobird can handle the extra weight of a camera, surely it could handle the weight of my repairs. Plus I'm cheap and hate to buy a new wing when you can fix an old one. I use an old wing and cut out the right size chunk with #11 knife and glue it in place on the repaired wing with 6 min epoxy. Works great! On a wing with a crease in it that has lost it's stuctural integrity...I bought a piece of 1/16 inch thick balsa and used 30 minute epoxy to glue it on. After applying epoxy, I secure it in place on the wing with push pins like you use at the office for pinning notes on a corkboard. This also works great and adds amazing strength to the wing capable of withstanding all the G's you can dish out. Of course the ultimate test of the repairs was to fly it...and it flew GREAT!

Happy Flying,

auto5man
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98022.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	110908