Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

landing gear for the Sky Scooter Pro 2?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

landing gear for the Sky Scooter Pro 2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 12:04 PM
dano4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default landing gear for the Sky Scooter Pro 2?

On a previous thread I had mentioned that I'm new to the hobby and decided to start with the Sky Scooter Pro 2. Long story short, In an attempt to get it into the air, I stalled it and it came back down and landed on it's nose. Now I have to take it apart and see if I can fix it. It no longer throttles up very well.

As I analyze my efforts to fly, I'm wondering if I wouldn't have had better success if I didn't have to hand launch the plane. If it had landing gear, I could get the plane up to speed, increase the elevators slightly with the trim control, and hopefully, the plane would start its ascent.

As a newbie, I hand launched the plane and perhaps got over worried that it would hit the ground before flying away so I pulled up too hard on the stick.

What are your thoughts? Should I try to attach wheels to my plane? If so, any recommendations on landing gear?

I appreciate any comments made .

Dan O.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:58 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Default RE: landing gear for the Sky Scooter Pro 2?

I don't think the SSII has enough power to roll off the ground. Also, you may have bent your motor shaft.

Glide test first next time, using a very gentle, low toss. Use the glide to trim the ailerons.

On your next launch, trim the elevator up a little bit, start the motor and throw straight into the wind at about a 10 degree up angle. Do not fly in turbulent conditions on your first few flights. This is a fun plane--good luck.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

I agree with Mike. Get yourself a friend to be your "landing gear." Have him/her jog into the wind with the airplane for the first few flights. He/She will easily be able to tell if the plane is going to fly or not. When they feel it pulling out of their hand, they just let go. You can concentrate on keeping the plane flying straight and level instead of fumbling for the trim tabs and control stick after launching.

It also helps to be left-handed for launching
Old 03-04-2004, 01:27 PM
dano4

Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Spdrmnky

I had the exact same problem with my SSII... where I slamed streight into the ground from about 20 feet, the nose broke off and then I didnt have much power anymore. What had happened was one of the motor wires had broken half off so my motor wasnt getting its full current and I had about half the power I had before the crash (not even enough to keep it in the air). The only thing needed to fix it was to solder the full wire back on to the motor. I'm wondering if this is the same problem you had. Might be worth it to check the wires. Good luck!
Old 03-18-2004, 05:03 PM
tengler

Dano, I am a newbie and also got the SS pro. I recommend to all new flyers that they find an experienced flyer to help them before going out there alone. The urge is overwhelming to just go out there and try it on your own. This is foolish and can be dangerous. The reasons for going with a trainer is: 1) they will get your plane up for you and land it without destroying it 2) they can trim it to level flight for you 3) they will let you learn when it is up high enough to recover it for you if you get into trouble controlling it. 4) you will learn faster.
Flying is not as easy as it looks, that's why they make trainers and some great pc training sims with a rc controller. If you want less frustration, more fun, quicker learning and less money and time spent on repairs, then get some training help. You can go online and find an AMA club, get directions, go out there and ask an experienced old timer to help you fly. They will also give you all kinds of free advice. Remember that if you fly by yourself there is a potential for your plane to get away from you in the wind that is up higher, and if it lands on your neighbor's kid or car, you're in deep doo-doo. Good luck.