Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

t-hawk or tiger moth

Old 03-03-2004, 11:00 PM
tkgavette

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default t-hawk or tiger moth

OK, first of all I am a newbie, but have been spending way too much time reading threads and info on this wonderful website.
I have built several balsa models, none of which I flew, including the P-51 and the P-38 so construction is not a problem.
I do plan on buying a Hitec laser 4 radio (for future use, any radio recommendations under $150 would be nice), but can not decide on which plane to buy. Both get great reviews from most everyone. I can get the T-hawk minus the radio and receiver, and this seemed to be the hangup most had on this plane. The biggest hang up on the Tiger Moth was that it needs to be beefed up, because it is a little too flimsy. The T-hawk also seems to bee just a little better with wind, don't worry I'll sit on my hands on windy days until I get several flights under my belt. I have several large flat fields with no obstructions to crash into.

P.S. do not recommend the Slow Stick I consider this very close to the Tiger moth in handling, and the Tiger Moth looks better.
Thanks for the help!
Old 03-04-2004, 08:10 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: t-hawk or tiger moth

Many people have fallen for the "beef it up because it looks flimsy" fallacy. In fact, the plane is quite delicate and flimsy, but it doesn't need to be built like a brick house. It only weighs 7oz, and is meant to fly indoors or in light breezes. Beef it up in one place, and it will break somewhere else on a hard landing. By the time you beef everything up, it's too heavy.

The final choice of plane comes down to your preferences. It sounds like you're leaning toward the T-Hawk, which isn't a bad choice at all.

I know you said don't recommend the Slow Stick, but I'm going to because I believe you overlooked some factors: Yes, it flies like the Tiger Moth, but it's also larger and heavier, and will fly in wind like the T-Hawk. It's also much tougher than the Tiger Moth, and frankly, I think it's better-looking.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:30 PM
jatoo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What! No way is it better looking!!![X(]
Have you considered the aerobird?
3ch
handle some wind
sturdy enough in a crash
Old 03-10-2004, 10:20 PM
wingnut53

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

first off, i too am a newbie and i also read a lot of things about a beginner rtf airplane. the choices i came down to were the t-hawk and aerobird. i chose the t-hawk and ordered it even though i could have gone to the local rc shop and got the aerobird. this is because the t-hawk has separate components versus the aerobirds all in one circuit board. plus you get 2 wings 2 batteries and 2 tails. i can also tell you it is TOUGH. while trying to get a handle on that coming at you- going away from you control reversal thing i dove my plane into the ground so hard it bounced 5 feet in the air. i went over, straightened the wing and launched it into the air with absolutely no damage. if i ever do manage to destroy it, the servoes, esc, and receiver can all go into another park flyer.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:56 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The tiger moth vs the T-Hawk is a pretty wide spread in planes.

The tiger moth is a VERY slow flying plane that bridges indoor and outdoor use. Light breezes of under 5 MPH is all I would suggest.

The T-Hawk is definately an outdoor plane needing a much larger space than the tiger moth. Once you master it, you can fly it in 15 mph winds if you want. It also thermals very well.

If you have the room I would recommend the T-hawk. We have three in our club, 6 Aerobirds and probably 3 Tigermoths.

Also, I would strongly suggest you stretch to the Flash 5 over the flash 4. The 5 will allow you to do split ailerons which can also be flapperons. The 4 can't do that. Go for the 5.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:51 PM
antiquerookie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm also a rookie, flying (and crashing) a slow stick. My friend, quite a bit more experienced, has an Aerobird "for his grandson". He's gone through probably five wings due to imprecise (OK, very imprecise) landings pushing the wing back into the prop, which eats a big notch out of the trailing edge. The first time or two, it's repairable but eventually the wing breaks too many times through the notch and can't be reasonably repaired. I suspect the T-Hawk will have the same problem. I think I'm ahead with my SS. I have a prop saver and props are $3 while wings are $8 - $10.

I have just ordered a T-Hawk "for my grandson". I'm going to try putting aluminum tape on the wing trailing edge and see if that helps. The aluminum tape (about .003 in thick aluminum with really effective adhesive) is what HVAC guys use to seal seams on heating systems and is about $7.00 a roll. It ain't duct tape.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:24 PM
jaytee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am also new to this hobby and bought the T-Hawk without a question. Without any help I have learned how to fly and this plane has performed great. It has took some pretty hard abuse in the beginning and still flies great. I have all good to say about the T-Hawk and the supplier, when you order it , its there. Now I'm just waiting for some nice weather for my Nexstar.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:12 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

THE T-HAWK IS FANTASTIC...SURE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE WHO OWNS 1 IS RUNNING HIGHER MAH BATTERIES AND IF SO..ARE THEY GETTING LONG RUN TIMES...
Old 03-18-2004, 11:54 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pick up a roll of this tape and the prop will not be damaging the Aerobird or t-hawk wings anymore.

After 150 Aerobird flights, believe me I know.

You need about a 3" piece on each side, where the prop normally bites. I put it on the wings when they are brand new, before there is a mark on them.

However I usuall put a single solid piece from one "bite area" across to the other. Reinforces the wing where the rubberbands come across it.

Works on the T-Hawk and the Aerobird.