Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

New to Electiflight... advice please!

Old 03-08-2004, 03:48 AM
FL350

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New to Electiflight... advice please!

Hi All,

I've been flying glow engine RC for many years now but would really like to have a go at 'clean' electric flight. I quite fancy the Great Planes Fire Bat but have absolutely no idea what to get and the do's and don'ts..

I see it comes in two versions, standard or deluxe, the latter with charger, ESC, motor etc. However I also noted that there was a 'hot-up' recommendation for motor & ESC as well, and I really would like something with all the performance possible...!

So... is the GP Fire Bat a suitable performance aerobatic model or is there something better out there?

What motor, ESC, battery pack etc. should I really be looking for? I'd rather pay a bit more and get the preformance than be disappointed with my first electric model...!

I have a 4-8 cell fast charger already that has the (I believe) car batterey pack plug -is this the same coupler for airplanes as well?

Any other advice you can send my way would be very much appreciated because I know absolutely nothing about Electriflight and I don't even know anyone else who flies these!

Happy flying!
Old 03-08-2004, 07:42 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New to Electiflight... advice please!

I hate to say it, but ANY Great Planes electric, in its stock form, is a bad choice for a first electric. The Firebat is marginal on power, and if you don't get the canard angle and CG absolutely PERFECT, it doesn't fly. I don't mean the typical modeler "close enough." It has to be absolutely, down to the micron spot-on, or the plane won't fly.

If you want to try the Firebat, I recommend the basic kit. The Deluxe kit doesn't include any useful equipment for this plane.

What prompted you to consider the Firebat? I'm wondering because there's been a glut of Great Planes specific questions asked in the various electric forums lately. Are they having a sale.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:08 AM
PropAce

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

esprit models makes some good electric planes with great setups check them out
Old 03-08-2004, 12:15 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

FL350,

I see that you want something that will do some aerobatics.

If you don't mind building from an excellent kit, I recommend that you take a look at the Dandy Sport from Mountain Models. I just finished one and my first few flights have been a great experience. The Dandy is available with three wings, and since you have flight experience my guess is that you'd be interested in the Sport wing and the GT wing. They are interchangeable, which is a good feature because you can change the characteristics of your plane by simply changing the wing.

The Sport wing has ailerons, and it has some dihedral to it so it offers stability. It can do competent basic aerobatics. The GT wing is shorter, semi-symmetrical and no dihedral. It will make the plane faster and less stable, so more aggressive aerobatics can be done. I haven't graduated to the GT wing yet.

If you have a lot of flying experience and are looking for a low wing aerobat, take a look at their Switchback.

Here's a link to their site: [link]http://www.mountainmodels.com[/link]

Their kits are laser cut and are easy and quick to build.

Hope this helps,

Salut!

BobbyG
Old 03-09-2004, 03:02 AM
FL350

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys... well I guess that rules out the Fire Bat... no problem for me I just want a good flyer... BobbyGee thanks for the recommendation but I have very limited building time at the moment with a young family and it really has to be an ARF... any other ideas... all recommendations on models will be greatly received!
Old 03-28-2004, 03:28 AM
watt_the!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i'm also following this thread with anticipation.

i am a seasoned glow flyer/jet/aerobat/warbird/ww1 flier and want to clean my act up!.

i see that some people in here are talking flights of 30 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....

wow...

what i really need is to know what are the basic items needed to support the "habit", and what are good ones to take me from the first e-plane through to some serious models.

also, prices.

i.e. are the basic items, ESC, batteries, receiver, servos, prop?

i note that somewhere here ppl are talking about separate power for Rx and Motor....ami getting this right?

also, alot seems dependent on battery config...

charging seems like a fine art..and so on...

is there an idiot's guide to electric flight?

all i want to do is goto the shop, pick out the plans i want, purchase the right gear, then fly it...

but i would like to get the lowdown on the technical aspects such as the straight theory on discharge, how to calculate flight times, esc functionality etc...

is there a website around with all this stuff?

Tim.