Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

servos help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 09:26 PM
cheech27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servos help

can someone give me a lesson on servos? I purchased a plane and it recommends pico and naro servos, but some of the 3 and 4 channel radios come with their own servos. Or there are flight packs I can purchase. can anyone help? If anyone wants to know I purchase the gws e-starter.[&o]
Old 04-13-2004, 06:58 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: servos help

The E-Starter is a little bit too responsive to be a good first plane, but if you have help from someone with a bit of flying experience, you might be able to pull it off.

When you go shopping for radios, you're going to find that most of them come equipped for much larger airplanes. You can purchase a setup like this and sell off the large gear, you can set the gear aside for later projects, or you can purchase a separate transmitter.

Pico and Naro refer to model names of GWS servos. Any Horizon Hobby dealer, such as the one that sold you the E-Starter can get GWS servos and complete GWS flight packs. You will definitely want to get the GWS flight pack for the E-Starter, either GWS2040 or GWS2045, depending on the transmitter brand you get.

Individually, you'll need the following:
- GWS ICS100 or GWS ICS300 speed control
- Three GWS Naro servos
- GWS R4P "Pico" receiver
- Receiver crystal to match the channel of your transmitter
- GWS 7.2V (6-cell) 600mAh NiCd or 8.4V (7-cell) 730mAh NiMH
Old 04-15-2004, 09:51 AM
sierra gold

A possible alternate solution in using the E-Starter as a first plane is to build it with just rudder and elevator at first. Don't cut out the ailerons on the wing or install the third servo until you are ready to introduce them into your training.

One of the guys who flies with us has done this and the E-Starter handles much like the GWS Beaver, a nice handling 3 channel aircraft.

Once you are comfortable with flying, you can cut out the ailerons, hook up the linkage, add the third servo, and learn to fly with the 4th channel.

Sierra Gold
Old 04-23-2004, 10:36 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What radio you get is very much a function of budget. How much are you willing to spend?

You can get radio packages with any size servos you like.

Servo City is excellent this way. They will let you custom package your radio.

The Laser 4 would be good for you as the e-starter calls for a minimum 4 channel radio.

Go to this link - click the customize button.

HS- 50, 55 or 81 servos would be appropriate for that Plane. I would suggest the HS-55s

Laser 4, 4 hs-55s, electron 6 receiver, micro switch and 600 mah receiver battery ( you won't use it for this plane) would be $172

A MUCH BETTER PACKAGE FOR YOU WOULD BE THE FLASH 5X COMPUTER RADIO $181
It is called the glider package, but it will work great for you and you get a computer radio rather than a standard radio. Much better value!
http://www.servocity.com/html/5-ch_f...m_systems.html
3 hs-81s, micro 555 receiver, switch , receiver battery

These would be my suggestions

If you have more $$ we can go further. If you have a lot less to spend, you might look at a GWS dreamstarter package. The radio is pretty simple but it will fly the plane.