Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

RE: Need some advice please.....

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

RE: Need some advice please.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 09:37 AM
simonrf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need some advice please.....

Well today was the day, I took my plane to a large open field in low winds (well low-ish), had one flight went really well after using some free software (Flying-Model-Simulator), the battery went flat and I managed a good landing, (if I say so myself).

Changed the battery and took off went well so about 2 mins then a few gusts of wind later and off she went above the tree the wind was way higher than on the ground the poor little motor was not strong enough to bring it back to me so off it went, tried searching for it in the car but didn't find it, to say I am peed off would be the understatement of the century, I have never sworn so much in my life and talk about that sinking felling in your stomache when you realise you won't get it back is just aweful.

I always wanted a model plane, I guess I had one for a day or so but I won't be getting another one, I just can't afford to see mycash go zooming off.

Rather than just saying goodbye and leaving at that I thought I would leave some advice from the experiance I have gained (not a lot I know), so here goes....

Get the free software 'Flying-Model-Simulator' from the internet http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html play with it you will be suprised how acurate it is (not on the wind front though) I learn a lot from it, and flew really well til the blimin wind took it away :-).

If you get a cheap plane like the FighterBird put some packing tape on the leaning and training edge of the winds to make them stronger for when you crash and keep some tape in your pocket ready (says to do it on the manufacturers web site).

Read the instructions and take a good note on how strong the winds are at tree level (a big difference I'll wager) I know that it says that in the instruction booklet and I now wish I was now more patient and heeded these warnings (if I did I wouldn't be £100 down).

I hope someone will get a use from my comments.

Happy flying.

Simon RF

(PS if you see a FighterBird plane lying around in a field in the Devon area give me a shout [email protected])
Old 04-17-2004, 10:36 AM
henk

Simon, I would not give up so easily. R/C flying is a great hobby, and you would be missing out on allot of fun. Hobby Zone replacement parts are reasonably priced, and you already have the radio. If you do get a new fuse., I would recommend that you put a locater on it. Definitely would be worth it. As for the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to take a long walk in the direction that you last saw your plane. You might get lucky and spot it. Good Luck!

H.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:52 AM
simonrf

I agree, it would be a shame to give up, I have with the planes but I am just about to buy a Helicopter at least if I loose control I can just switch it off and it will more or less fall to the ground :-)

I didn't know you could get locators, if I new that I would have bought one in a heart beat.

Thanks for the advice.

Simon RF
Old 04-17-2004, 01:23 PM
henk

Simon, Here is a good link to find out more about locator's

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_67.../tm.htm#678358

Helicopters can be difficult to master, you may want to get an experienced R/C helicopter pilot to help you get sarted. Or if you chose to go it on your own, a hula hoop attached to the bottom struts makes for good training wheels; so to speak. Practice hovering just a few feet off the ground. If you slip and fall to the side, the hoop will help keep the blades from touching the ground, and possibly destroying your new craft.

H.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:11 PM
david roberts

Simon,

Don,t give up so easily like the other fella is tring to tell you, or your going to miss out badly! I had a very similar start as you only I had two planes' fly away' on me

I started with the firebird xl I put the wings and tail of the fighterbird on it, it made it more agile for turning and so on then I lost that, but before I lost it I had some brilliant flights with it, and it was my fault I lost it, because I'd learnt a lot by then and just got a little bit over confident with it.I then got the firebird commander, but again I put the wings and tail of the fighter bird on it, I've still got it. You can fly in some quite windy conditions when you've learnt a bit. I've now also got the Aerobird which is the step up from the plane youv'e had only with three channels, but what I'm tring to tell you is stick with it you will be glad you did, also when I lost my planes if you phone RIPMAX up, (the phone number is in the manual) they will do you a deal if you send in the transmitter, chargers, in the box they will send you a brand new plane for £50.00, they did with me twice! so go on give it another shot!!!

Regards Dave Roberts
Old 04-17-2004, 02:37 PM
MerlinL14

Simon take the advice and dont give up. My first plane lasted 10-15 secs of me having control of it. A big oak tree jumped up and ate it []. I was so p****d off, but in just those few seconds I knew I had to either repair it or buy a new one, I did both. I have only been RC flying since Jun last year but it has consumed me I just can't get enough. I have an Arising Star, a P-51 Mustang (WM Miss America 46), a Blackhorse Travel Air, A Zagi Si and am just finishing bashing an Arising Star into a twin. This has got to be the ultimate past time, I just wish I had done it 20 years ago
Old 04-18-2004, 08:41 PM
sierra gold

Simon,

I'm assuming that your plane was of the "Firebird family", which means it was a 2 channel aircraft where the throttle is your pitch control. That is particularly nasty to get back from a downwind situation.

I would suggest you make your next plane a 3 channel aircraft. While it won't solve all situations, at least you can put the nose down with the elevator and use the motor to head "back home." The Aerobird series of aircraft is 3 channel as well as most other Parkflyers.

Lastly, flying during calm weather and staying upwind of the field, when wind is present, will also help.

Sierra Gold